Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Her words:
Quote:
"For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else."
I don't agree with her on god, but her view of organized religion is so spot on the mark accurate, and is the greatest threat we as a species face. Not only do the broader categories really spend a lot of time hating each other, but even within them there are numerous sects that just can't get along. Muslims have the Sunni and Shia that hate and kill each other. Christians ain't no better, in this forum the UR'ers and ET'ers acting like gangs on the playground arguing about who is right. Remember all the killing and bombings in Ireland, protestant and Catholics killing each other over beliefs. Now that is productive, I'm sure your gods are proud. Not to mention 2 on going wars over religion, but look at the hatred in this country, gay marriage the most visible currently. Are you christians really proud of how you are acting? I doubt the deity you say you believe in would be.

Take a few minutes and take an honest look at the posts in the many threads in this forum. Be honest now, no bias, and you have to open your minds just a little bit also. By golly, she's right now isn't she? Take an honest look at the news, local or national, far too much of it is dominated by the hatred born in religions. Take a look at how you personally treat people in your day to day activities. Do you judge based on their sexual preference, the church they attend or not, the Darwin fish on the back of their car.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 08-11-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Her words:

I don't agree with her on god, but her view of organized religion is so spot on the mark accurate, and is the greatest threat we as a species face. Not only do the broader categories really spend a lot of time hating each other, but even within them there are numerous sects that just can't get along. Muslims have the Sunni and Shia that hate and kill each other. Christians ain't no better, in this forum the UR'ers and ET'ers acting like gangs on the playground arguing about who is right. Remember all the killing and bombings in Ireland, protestant and Catholics killing each other over beliefs. Now that is productive, I'm sure your gods are proud. Not to mention 2 on going wars over religion, but look at the hatred in this country, gay marriage the most visible currently. Are you christians really proud of how you are acting? I doubt the deity you say you believe in would be.

Take a few minutes and take an honest look at the posts in the many threads in this forum. Be honest now, no bias, and you have to open your minds just a little bit also. By golly, she's right now isn't she? Take an honest look at the news, local or national, far too much of it is dominated by the hatred born in religions. Take a look at how you personally treat people in your day to day activities. Do you judge based on their sexual preference, the church they attend or not, the Darwin fish on the back of their car.
She is profane...

Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
She is profane...
Disagree with the message, and the only rebuttal you offer is to attack the messenger. How utterly religious of you.............. how utterly predictable....... how sad.

And she is absolutely correct. The belief in deities is relatively harmless on a personal level, at least on a national or global scale, however the practitioners of organized religion are a rather unsavory bunch, and the greatest danger to our future that exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity