Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 PM

161 posts, read 640,509 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with some of the major church denominations...Catholic, Methodist, Luthern, Baptist, Presbyterian. But I do not know much about some of these other types I see listed in the phone book or from the roadside.

Can someone describe the main points that makes these churches what they are and what makes them different? Are any of them similar to each other?

Assembly Of God
Church of God
Church of Christ
Church of God In Christ
Episcopal
Foursquare
Nazarene
Pentecostal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Penetcostal are usually bible based with mostly baptised in Holy Spirit believers who are prayer based, and were formed back at the same time as Presbyterian churches...... Episcopal and Anglican churches are similar which are broke off from the Catholic Churches some 500 yars ago and have similar customs as Catholic but a few diffrences

Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
I am familiar with some of the major church denominations...Catholic, Methodist, Luthern, Baptist, Presbyterian. But I do not know much about some of these other types I see listed in the phone book or from the roadside.

Can someone describe the main points that makes these churches what they are and what makes them different? Are any of them similar to each other?

Assembly Of God
I was raised Assembly of God but now attend a Baptist church. The worship is contemporary and the preachers are usually charismatic. Most are pretty liberal about dress code.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,211 times
Episcopal does not belong on your list.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Episcopalians are not like any of the other churches on the list. They are mainline Christians who worship like Catholics and are quite similar to Lutherans.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Episcopalians are not like any of the other churches on the list. They are mainline Christians who worship like Catholics and are quite similar to Lutherans.

Yes, that is what I meant. I'm Lutheran, and yes, they are quite similar. None of the others are similar. I keep thinking of the Sesame Street song:

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others,
Then you're absolutely...right!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,963 times
You should also ask yourself why there needs to be over 30,000 branches of Christianity. Most of these religions believing the other is entirely wrong for what could be something as simple as what days it is permissible to eat meat on. You better 'get lucky' and pick the right one or its time to burn!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:38 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Episcopal does not belong on your list.
It belongs on the list if the poster wants to know about it. His question wasn't, "Which of these churches is different from the others?" All of them are different from the others. Every one of the 30,000+ Christian denominations in the world today is different from any of the others. It's just a matter of degree.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'm curious... Who's on the committee who decides which churches are "mainstream" and which ones aren't?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It belongs on the list if the poster wants to know about it. His question wasn't, "Which of these churches is different from the others?" All of them are different from the others. Every one of the 30,000+ Christian denominations in the world today is different from any of the others. It's just a matter of degree.

Yeah, I get that. Episcopal just stood out in that list like a sore thumb. Sorry if my song bothered you. Maybe you never watched Sesame Street, but I'm stuck with it running through my head now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity