Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate the Scriptures that have been posted -- both sides -- because as a former Arminian (for nearly 5/6 of my life, while I believe in the reformed manner now, I still have issues with both OSAS on occasion.

However, I have not yet personally met a single person who has not sinned after being "saved." I have met many who claimed with glowing faces that they did not sin, but they were, to put it bluntly, liars -- every last one of them! I knew them too well! If asked, I say I am reformed, because that is what I know to be true, as evidenced by the lives I have observed and by the majority of Scripture. But there is that tiny portion of niggling doubt.

Myself? As I have written, I know that I have sinned, that I am not perfect. But at the same time, I know my Redeemer and I know I am a believer in the fullest sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I really appreciate the Scriptures that have been posted -- both sides -- because as a former Arminian (for nearly 5/6 of my life, while I believe in the reformed manner now, I still have issues with both OSAS on occasion.

However, I have not yet personally met a single person who has not sinned after being "saved." I have met many who claimed with glowing faces that they did not sin, but they were, to put it bluntly, liars -- every last one of them! I knew them too well! If asked, I say I am reformed, because that is what I know to be true, as evidenced by the lives I have observed and by the majority of Scripture. But there is that tiny portion of niggling doubt.

Myself? As I have written, I know that I have sinned, that I am not perfect. But at the same time, I know my Redeemer and I know I am a believer in the fullest sense.
Great post.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Just a thought about sin, which I believe even the most faithful, being flesh and blood sin now and then..

There was one perfect person who resisted all sin and it certainly was not me and I don't think it is anyone on this forum.

Anyway, I think willful sin is sort of like "premeditation" In other words you think about it and know exactly what you are doing..Whereas being human we sin almost daily not realizing it until it has been done ..

He knew that being imperfect beings that we are even the most faithful would "slip"..Wasn't that the whole idea behind His work on the cross? Because of His sacrifice our sins can and are forgiven?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:54 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Just a thought about sin, which I believe even the most faithful, being flesh and blood sin now and then..
The devil uses thoughts to get us to sin.

James 1
[12] Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
[13] Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
[14] But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
[15] Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Sin must be conceived first. A mere thought is not sin. If we aren't tempted, how could we resist sin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
There was one perfect person who resisted all sin ...
Hebrews 4:15
[14] Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
[15] For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
[16] Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Jesus took on the same flesh as we have, and He showed us how to resist sin. He is our example.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
My reformed friends will not like this at all, but I am glad that this thread is here, because I can't remember the last time I sinned.
  • Faulty memory? Perhaps.
  • Faulty theology? Most likely.
  • Faulty understanding of what sin is? Most likely.
  • Faulty understanding of how fallen I really am? I would bet on it.
  • Old and uninterested in sin, because I hate sin? YES! That, too. It is simnply more comfortable, my preferrence, to run like crazy from sin.

But I am trying to learn and get a grip on this thing! I want to live in Truth, not in deception.

However in the old Arminian-type church, they taught a very limited definition of sin. Mainly, they taught that sin was "knowing to do good and not doing it," which, of course, is obviously biblical. They also taught that such things as theft, adultery, murder, lying, etc. are sins. NOT gossip -- they would never nail that one down. And many of the things I now call sin they called "errors in judgment" and "mistakes," definitely not sin. Further, they added sins to the Bible, like no makeup, no jewelry, no remarriage, dresses only for women, and many, many more such fake sins.

So I admit that I remain stymied with regard to sin. I just know when I am standing on the brink, about to do it, and He "pokes" me. I know when I am about to write something here, and He "pokes" me. I know when I am about to shade the truth, and He "pokes" me.

So thank you for this thread and all the input, both sides. When I can be at home with my Bible, I will be getting into the references.

I hope this thread remains peaceful.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM

365 posts, read 511,666 times
According to Father God, there is no sin. It was taken care off and fully paid by Jesus, the Lamb of God, at Calvary, 2000 years ago!

John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

Notice SIN is singular, not plural, meaning the SIN from beginning to end, was placed on Jesus and Father God accepted Jesus' death AS FULL PAYMENT FOR ALL SIN!

Father God, from His view, His perspective, His sight, there is no longer a sin problem.

If we still have a sin problem that humans need to fix, then Jesus' death at Calvary was incomplete, a scam, a lie, and we are still in HUGE TROUBLE and we now need to perform human duties, deeds and works to solve and fix the sin problem which Jesus' death didn't fully fix.

But the Bible doesn't agree with that.

Hebrews 9:26 – He did away with sin on the Cross
Hebrews 9:28 - He took away the sin of the world at the Cross
Colossians 2:13 - He forgave all sins on the Cross – past present and future
Hebrews 1:3 – God cleansed all sins on the Cross
2 Cor 5:19 - God no longer counts the world’s sins against them
Hebrews 10:17-18 – God has forgiven all sins and forgotten them.
Micah 7:19 - God has thrown all our sins into the depths of the sea.

Hence, Jesus took away sin completely at Calvary, it's done, it's complete, IT IS FINISHED, John 19:30

Sin is not what causes a person to be lost, because sin problem was fixed by Jesus at Calvary. What causes a person to be lost is their rejection of the love of the truth, 2Thess 2:10, and Jesus IS the truth, John 14:6.

People who believe and teach others that they must beg God to forgive them every day, or perform particular duties and works to remain saved, have never fully understood what happened at Calvary and how Father God views it.

So understand it once for all, you cannot make yourself clean, no matter what you do.. you can only trust in Jesus' blood to make you clean and to save you. Hebrews 9:22 says that "without the shedding of Blood, there is no forgiveness."

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 PM

God will baptize those with the Holy Ghost who obey, just like in the Book of Acts. It's the same Holy Ghost that Jesus received, not a different one. It's power from on high to be victorious in this life.

Acts 5:32 - And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM

365 posts, read 511,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
God will baptize those with the Holy Ghost who obey, just like in the Book of Acts. It's the same Holy Ghost that Jesus received, not a different one. It's power from on high to be victorious in this life.

Acts 5:32 - And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
Absolute rubbish and false teaching which contradict the Bible.

NEWSFLASH: NOBODY obeys God, we are all sinners, and sinners BREAK THE LAW!

1 John 3:4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.

You are teaching legalism, contrary to Bible.

Only Jesus obeyed God, no human has been able to do it.

Surely you are not claiming you perfectly obey God and never sin?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:27 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
Absolute rubbish and false teaching which contradict the Bible.

1 John 3:4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.

You are teaching legalism, contrary to Bible.

Only Jesus obeyed God, no human has been able to do it.

Surely you are not claiming you perfectly obey God and never sin?
There are a few people on the forum who are sinless, what are the odds? There is Jesus and on here, scgraham, Verna and a couple others, it is amazing!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHeart View Post
There are sinners, and then there are the Saints of God. I've never heard of a sinning saint. Sounds absurd doesn't it? Fact is, the lawless will be left outside that beautiful gate on that wonderful day for the Saints of God.

Revelation 22:15
[11] He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
[12] And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
[13] I [Jesus] am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
[14] Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
[15] For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Only the holy and righteous will enter in through the gates into that beautiful city, whose builder and maker is God. All sinners, whether they profess Jesus or not, will be left outside with the rest of the filthy dogs. It is written. He with an ear, let him hear what the Spirit is saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity