Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
A close study of Romans 7 will reveal a chapter in which Paul describes his old man under the law. All through Romans 6, Paul writes of being dead to sin. He would not go on in Romans 7 to write about how he still sins. The scriptures do not contradict themselves. People use Romans 7 wrongly to justify sinning; they either aren't studying the chapter with the Holy Spirit, or they simply love the excuse that they want it to give them.
I forgot that Paul divided his letter to the Romans into chapters and verses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:28 AM

Here we read the letter to the Romans as it was written by Paul...(part 1)...

Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
(Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;
Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.
For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.
I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise.
So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
For there is no respect of persons with God.
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another).
In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,
And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;
And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,
An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.
Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?
Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.
For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
But if our unrighteousness commend the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unrighteous who taketh vengeance? (I speak as a man)
God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world?
For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?
And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.
What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
Their feet are swift to shed blood:
Destruction and misery are in their ways:
And the way of peace have they not known:
There is no fear of God before their eyes.
Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

This is a conclusion to the first part, Paul is stating facts about following the Law and what is expected, by God, of one that follows the Law, however, Paul concludes with the above high-lighted...So, by just that section alone of his letter we are all doomed who attempt Salvation by following the Law...It obviously indicates that following the Law for Salvation is useless...

Last edited by Richard1965; 09-18-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Like he overlooked the sin of the thief on the cross?
The thief was forgiven, washed clean. Praise God! That's what the blood of the Lamb will do. Had the thief been able to live, then walking the holy paths of Jesus would have been the only way that he could have held on to his salvation. If he would have fallen back into sin, then grace would have left him. Let's look at the women taken in adultery; she was forgiven, but Jesus gave her a command afterward.

John 8
[10] When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
[11] She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
[12] Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

If you aren't walking in holiness and righteousness, then you are in darkness; you're blind, lost and undone.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:43 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
The thief was forgiven, washed clean. Praise God! That's what the blood of the Lamb will do. Had the thief been able to live, then walking the holy paths of Jesus would have been the only way that he could have held on to his salvation. If he would have fallen back into sin, then grace would have left him. Let's look at the women taken in adultery; she was forgiven, but Jesus gave her a command afterward.

John 8
[10] When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
[11] She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
[12] Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

If you aren't walking in holiness and righteousness, then you are in darkness; you're blind, lost and undone.

Interesting, so the best way to be sure and save yourself is by dying as an infant before the so called age of accountability or by repenting and believing in Jesus right before you die.

So all the murderers who repent before they are fried in the electric chair go to heaven while a 16 year old girl who never heard of Jesus is roasting in hell for ever ...

Nice ...

Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Again you take things out of context...And boy do you ever have the understanding of those verses wrong...you lose the bottom line of the letter when you take verses out of context...
You interpret Romans 7 as Paul being a sinning Christian, then you tell me that I am taking verses out of context?? My goodness... the theories of men are truly being used for a substitute for God's Word -- and that's why the churches are dead.

2 Timothy 3
[5] Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:

John 8

The reason the Jews do not believe Jesus is the Messiah is that they already know the way to Salvation and it is through keeping the Law of God...All 613 Mitzvah...

Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
The reason the Jews do not believe Jesus is the Messiah is that they already know the way to Salvation and it is through keeping the Law of God...All 613 Mitzvah...

You are being facetious...are you not...? If so...

Old 09-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
You interpret Romans 7 as Paul being a sinning Christian, then you tell me that I am taking verses out of context?? My goodness... the theories of men are truly being used for a substitute for God's Word -- and that's why the churches are dead.

2 Timothy 3
[5] Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
That verse has nothing to do with what you think i am...and i am sure you have taken that one out of context too...Paul was speaking of himself in the present tense...Therefore by the deeds of the Law there shall be no flesh justified in His sight for by the Law is the knowledge of sin...so, by your own interpretation...you are not justified in His sight...Sorry, this is what scripture says...If you you live by the Law you will be judged by the Law...2 Timothy is referring to yourself...how ironic...

Old 09-18-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

You are being facetious...are you not...? If so...
Well, it is the Truth....from there perspective...and this was the way to Salvation before Christ...So, either Christ was just another religious nut that started a New Religion or He was and is the True Messiah...If not, then SG and VP are all set for Salvation, however, if He is the True Messiah, then they have either apostisized and went back under the Law, which Hebrews states that it is impossible to renew them unto repentance for they crucify the Lord afresh and they have nothing to look forward to but wrath and indignation of God for they have made Christ's Sacrifice of non effect in that they say it is not good enough for Salvation but, that they have to add to it...So, i am thinking that it is useless to talk to them for what scripture says regarding them...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Well, it is the Truth....from there perspective...and this was the way to Salvation before Christ...So, either Christ was just another religious nut that started a New Religion or He was and is the True Messiah...If not, then SG and VP are all set for Salvation, however, if He is the True Messiah, then they have either apostisized and went back under the Law, which Hebrews states that it is impossible to renew them unto repentance for they crucify the Lord afresh and they have nothing to look forward to but wrath and indignation of God for they have made Christ's Sacrifice of non effect in that they say it is not good enough for Salvation but, that they have to add to it...So, i am thinking that it is useless to talk to them for what scripture says regarding them...
Indeed, anyone who seeks to be justified by the law is fallen from Grace in Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity