U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 AM

6,370 posts, read 2,459,626 times
The scriptures are His footsteps, but they are not Him. The words of the scriptures were of God, given to specific men. True persecution always comes not to those who trust in the dead letters of others, but to those who are hearing His Voice today, being led into Higher things than those given 2,000+ years ago.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 AM

4,490 posts, read 2,804,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi everyone!
I've read, and believe it to be true, that just as the Jews stuck to the Law, and rejected Jesus, their Life, when He appeared,
so too, many Christians will reject the Son Coming in a multitude of many, preferring to stick to their bibles of more dead letters which can never give Life.
Is anybody else seeing this?

Blessings,
brian

Quote:
The scriptures are His footsteps, but they are not Him. The words of the scriptures were of God, given to specific men. True persecution always comes not to those who trust in the dead letters of others, but to those who are hearing His Voice today, being led into Higher things than those given 2,000+ years ago.

Blessings,
brian
I understand what you are saying. New revelation of God's truth doesn't come from scripture. Higher things like Universalism and the theology that all will be saved in the end are not to be found in the New Testament.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM

6,370 posts, read 2,459,626 times
Yes, just as Jesus' words were not to be found in the OT. That's why they crucified Him.

Blessings,
brian

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM

4,490 posts, read 2,804,532 times
Quote:
Yes, just as Jesus' words were not to be found in the OT. That's why they crucified Him.

Blessings,
brian
You do realize what you are saying?

As for me, I prefer to test new revelation by the Word.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,534,853 times
Quote:

Blessings,
brian
As much as you think we idolize the Bible (which we don't), you do the opposite. If it's all dead letters why do you even read it? What is the point of even having a Bible?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:10 PM

3,561 posts, read 1,356,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I understand what you are saying. New revelation of God's truth doesn't come from scripture. Higher things like Universalism and the theology that all will be saved in the end are not to be found in the New Testament.
Hardly, it is found throughout the new testament. Jesus' words are life and He is the only one who knew the Father and He revealed the Father unto His followers.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Blessings,
brian
Higher I hope you meant before Christ came, not 2000+, but up until the time of Christ.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:29 PM

1,315 posts, read 905,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Is that what higher said? I don't think so

Even in your qoute of scripture truth is found

If a man love me, he will keep my words:

Keep His words, not the words of the prophets and people of old.

remember how Peter wanted to build a temple for Jesus, Moses and Elijiah and what did God say?

This is my beleoved Son HEAR HIM.
And yet Jesus referred to the scriptures of old so you are not exactly hearing everything He has said, right?

John 5:39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Matthew 21:42Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Matthew 22:29Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Matthew 26:But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?........But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

If His disciples loved Him and His words, then they would be referring to scriptures as well.

Acts 17:2And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,....11These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Acts 18:24And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.....28For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

Romans 1:2Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)

Romans 15:4For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 16:26But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

1 Corinthians 15:3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

2 Timothy 3:15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Peter 3:16As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

So I do not agree with what you are implaying as everyone else is about the words of the prophets of old along with the scriptures of old because Jesus referred to them as the disciples did as well and not just His words in the New Testament.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM

1,315 posts, read 905,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

You do realise the KJV is a translation of a translation do you not?
I realize that this Bible is based on the meat of God's words as kept instead of the other modern translations that are based on documents that are circumspect because Alexandria is known for poetic licensing.

Quote:
LOL I use scripture for everything I believe.

Then discern everything you believe by the scriptures. Scriptures cannot go against scriptures so if a teaching is reproved plainly by other scriptures what those that teach are believing their scriptures si palinly stating that, then they need to be honest with themselves by taking pause and ask the Lord for wisdom in understanding the scriptures they are using in context and not those little bitty verses taken out of context and added to them whenever false teachings requires it by paraphrasing.

Quote:
Yes God did provide His word, His word is Jesus Christ, not the dead letter, even Jesus said you search the scriptures looking for eternal life but you won’t find it in the scripture because they testify of me ( paraphrased)
Quote:

Jesus Christ is the word of God and NONE other, especially the writings of men who were trying to understand God.
Exactly what I mean about paraphrasing. You wrested His words to mean that those that search the scriptures are not coming to Him, but Jesus was telling them to search the scriptures for in them they testify of Him so that they will come to Him...but the fact that they are not coming to Him proves they are not searching the scriptures even though by profession, these religious zealots ought to have been.

I know that you were not intentionally wresting His words to mean that, but this is my point of reading views that you want to support as being implied in the reading of His words when He was not saying that at all. Believers need to take the whole of God's words together if we are to understand the meaning of His words and be found abiding in Him by His grace.

Last edited by Enow; 08-04-2010 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
And yet Jesus referred to the scriptures of old so you are not exactly hearing everything He has said, right?

John 5:39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Matthew 21:42Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

Matthew 22:29Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Matthew 26:But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?........But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

If His disciples loved Him and His words, then they would be referring to scriptures as well.

Acts 17:2And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,....11These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Acts 18:24And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.....28For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.

Romans 1:2Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)

Romans 15:4For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 16:26But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

1 Corinthians 15:3For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

2 Timothy 3:15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2 Peter 3:16As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

So I do not agree with what you are implaying as everyone else is about the words of the prophets of old along with the scriptures of old because Jesus referred to them as the disciples did as well and not just His words in the New Testament.
Enow, I don't disagree with ANY scripture, but not everything in our bible is inspired scripture, Jesus showed us this when He corrected what Moses wrote.

I never said anything about the prophesy written in scripture being wrong, as a matter of fact I said the prophets prophesies about Christ (note that that is what those scriptures you just qouted are about) but one Christ came He is the end of the law and the prophets.

The prophets knew about Christ, but knew very little of the Father and one of the reason Jesus came was to correct their missuderstanding of what the Father was all about.

So I don't listen to the Moses and Elijiah, I take what God said to Peter very serious, God said HEAR HIM (Jesus Christ) as if to say quit building temples to Moses and Elijiah as they never really knew me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity