Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM

30 posts, read 23,918 times

Advertisements

Only god has the truth. seek him with all your heart and he will give it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
A guy asked what is truth, he wanted a what, an idea, an explanation, maybe some chit chat to pass the time away; maybe he was the first modernist, and as a roman he had already drifted away from the ancient concept of being. He didn't get an answer because the one who was truth was truth in being, being is its own proof, the physical presence of the one who stood before him. Had he been looking for that truth he may have listened to his wife. His answer was this guy before him, and as such there was nothing to say. Truth is a guy in the christian sense. So yes god gives the truth, but it is the incarnation of himself. This can't be had as idea (don't get me wrong as if I am saying ideas are not good, doctrine is not good, etc, as the bible says of itself that it is good for doctrine, and the idea is always prior to the decision). The existing; in the christian, the imitation of this one only, in the truth is the proof, but only to the self, as to others, the one existing in the truth is an abstraction (well, so is everyone). If the truth was an idea, a concept, it could be passed along, for sale, and cheapened, and that is what we are after, a good bargain with certainty thrown in, a thought certainty. That is why the truth is rejected and a substitute(s) are readily at hand.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I've studied the bible for many many years and what I've found are some pretty astounding contradictions that are all valid concepts found in the bible:

Eternal Torment
Universal Reconciliation
Calvinism
Arminianism
Each of us already has a measure of Faith
Only God gives Faith to whom he pleases
We have to accept our salvation
Salvation is free
Faith alone saves
Faith and works saves
The Law is abolished
You have to follow the 10 commandments
Etc.............................I could go on and on and on, but I think you get my point.

So, given that there are so many contrary teachings that can be found in just the NT alone...how could anyone possible know (based on these contrary teachings) what the actual TRUTH is? There are some 30,000 different denominations/sects of Christianity and each one of them says that they have the TRUTH...so how can any of us possibly determine what is the ACTUAL TRUTH...when Christians themselves cannot determine what it is?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
You are 100% correct. You can argue pretty much any position you want on any of the doctrines you listed by appealing to the Bible. You pick what you want to believe and then look for the verses that support your opinion. Of course, in the process, you have to ignore the verses that support the opposite point of view. That's exactly what Paul was talking about when He said what would happen without living prophets and apostles. In Ephesians 4:11-14, he said essentially this:

"And He (Jesus Christ) appointed apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. His purpose in doing so was to perfect His followers, to minister to them and to teach them. These were to remain in place until all of us are unified in the faith and in our knowledge of the Son of God, enabling us to grow to maturity in the Lord. Otherwise, we will continue to be like children in the gospel, persuaded first one way and then another, and unable to distinguish between true and false doctrines, being subject to the teachings of those who are crafty and who desire to deceive us."

Since we have not yet become unified in our faith and knowledge of Christ and have not yet, as a body of believers, become spiritually mature, the need for prophets and apostles still exists. Graduating from a theological seminary or divinity college does not give someone the ability to interpret scripture. God never intended to leave us with just a book to go on. He knew that wouldn't work, and it didn't.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
Well, who are the non-contradictory uneducated guiding lights of today (your doctor, I hope)? Can someone really be 100 percent? In todays rapidly changing garage sale thought? I would like to see a lot more content on all these statements (not only can any position be proved from the bible, but so can every Tom, Dick, and Harry's opinion; one may want to read Susan Hack on rational construction, which means the "facts" as expressed before this post have the same problem, ergo, they should be rejected as well, and that also goes for the uneducated know it alls that will lead us all to the truth). My assumption is that any one on data forum that knows truth would really not be here, but being hailed as the know it all of absolute truth running their mouth on Ophra. It is really a poor statement to debunk an education (sounds like the holler), call all ministers fakes and liars. If there was any body here but back slappers, they would want some statistical evidence for such a statement, and I would imagine the stater would also want to know for his her own self knowing, unless one loves just generality. And then poor scholars who thinks there are so many contradictions, ergo, reject the book, but evidently my ol' brain has the rest of the story. Read Barth's 13 volumes on this stuff and let me know, really do some work here and see if these contradictions can be solved instead of wanting them being served up on a silver platter, but I know already; too much work, I would rather just announce that scholarship is all bad and let the confusion in my poor little ol' brain be the rule. He who does not work does not eat; one might want to re-read the part where volunteers want to come here and confuse; at god's request; but that is somewhere in the old testament, so what does it know?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:37 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Quote:
I've studied the bible for many many years and what I've found are some pretty astounding contradictions that are all valid concepts found in the bible:

Eternal Torment
Universal Reconciliation
Calvinism
Arminianism
Salvation is free
Faith alone saves
Faith and works saves
The Law is abolished
Etc.............................I could go on and on and on, but I think you get my point.

So, given that there are so many contrary teachings that can be found in just the NT alone...how could anyone possible know (based on these contrary teachings) what the actual TRUTH is? There are some 30,000 different denominations/sects of Christianity and each one of them says that they have the TRUTH...so how can any of us possibly determine what is the ACTUAL TRUTH...when Christians themselves cannot determine what it is?

One truth
Christ died for our sins and whoever believes in Him has eternal life.
To me, that is the only truth needed, and is the only truth the above believe in neccessary for salvation.

The rest is man made jargon in my eyes. If we surrender to that will daily and earnestly, in time, as God sees fit, He will reveal his other truths and doctrines in the scripture, to whom He considers ready for it.

Love, love, love. I know it is hard, an eye for an eye is prevalent on the net, I can attest to that, but is that what He really wants from us? Befriend the sinner, befriend the saint, don't forcefeed...talk, listen, learn, explain, find the needs of others, and provide the options for that need. Christ.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Idk...I struggle with this A LOT.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times

This must what it looks like to God for those who reject the Bible, with the spoon being the Bible ...........

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-17-2010 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
There is more, God saves thoses who he decides to save.
Amen...

Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:

Eternal Torment
Universal Reconciliation
Calvinism
Arminianism
Salvation is free
Faith alone saves
Faith and works saves
The Law is abolished

YOU already have the truth, but you will let religions and books cloud it for you. I have the truth, but it only applies to me. My truth is not your truth, because my life is not your life. What has been shown and revealed to me to be the "truth" is not found in some outdated book. Nor does it exist within some exclusive religious group. It is unique to my life experiences, which are not the same as yours.
I would hope that you can open your eyes and mind and realize that which you already have. It is there for you.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Jesus said "He was the truth" , the scriptures testify that "He is the truth" . What any of us believe is not truth unless it's a reality in our own lives. Truth is not something written on a piece of paper.The biggest error throughout the church age is "believing if you believe the right thing you have the truth" , nothing can be further from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity