Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:32 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I just got through presenting examples of passages that are literal and passages that are allegorical. It should be obvious when the Bible is using symbolic or figurative language and when it is not.
No,you just got through presenting passages YOU think are examples of literal vs allegorical.I am asking on what basis YOU decided this was so.As I pointed out,most of Christianity disagrees with you on substantiation.They would point out that when people called Christ crazy for suggesting people eat His flesh that He did not correct them and point out it was allegorical,but He repeated His claim again.He even allowed disciples to leave Him over the matter and did not,evidently,correct the issue in their minds to keep them from leaving.So your claims about substantiation can be said to be without merit if Christ responded this way in dealing with those who didn't understand what He was saying.But this is my point.People have different ideas of what is literal and what is allegorical.Yours is but one of those opinions,based on the theology your hold when making your judgement.There is no infallible guidebook that tells us plainly what is to be taken literally and what is allegorical.

The same could be said of the issue of women in the church.Almost NO evangelical church holds to a literal view of what Paul said about women in the church.They would not have many women members if they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 02:42 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What is your view about the topic? So far you have made four posts only to say Mike555 is wrong, but have not offered your own opinion.

I believe there will be a rapture before the tribulation, and Christ snatch us up and meet us (the believers) in the clouds, and we will be in heaven during the tribulation, and then return with Christ seven years later when he makes His 2nd coming and defeats Satan and establishes his 1000 year kingdom.
My view doesn't matter because it would be speculation at best to say I have all the answers. I believed like you before I realized that dispensationalism is full of holes. One HUGE glaring error is the belief in ET. If it teaches such nonsense then the entire picture needs to be examined and that's what I am doing.

My point to joining in this conversation is not to say yes or no to a rapture but to try and show Mike that his methods of dogmatism are certain death to the message of Christ. I think the idea of a rapture now is.....well....pie in the sky kind of thinking and there's not enough scriptural support to make such claims. It's just too far out there. It's taking something spiritual and twisting and turning it to fit the square peg in a round literal hole. It's forced and it's not relevant to the message of Jesus Christ, which is love and to love one another.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
You seem to thing once you have "explained" something that that is the end of the matter.LOL.Nobody is required to believe your "explanations",my friend.I notice you constantly refer back to your previous posts,as if they are infallible and have to be accepted without question.They do not.They are your opinions,nothing more.People I strongly suspect are way more informed on the subjects often disagree with you,and I am not talking about other CD posters,but theologians and pastors.Your thoughts are not the final say on any matter.Dispensationalism IS the creation of one John Darby.That is the accepted belief among all theologians EXCEPT the dispensationalists who try and pretend that Darby was not the one who came up with it 1800 years or so after Christ, because that makes it obvious it is a manmade idea.
And what is your view on the topic itself.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Quote:
And what is your view on the topic itself.
I don't believe in any "rapture".And I believe,as does most of Christianity,that dispensationalism is uneducated nonsense created by Darby in the 1800's.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
My point to joining in this conversation is not to say yes or no to a rapture
If the topic is rapture, then why does every UR believer come here to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing, None of you guys have tried to address the topic.

Do you believe there will be rapture? If yes, do you think it will be before, during, or after the tribulation?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I don't believe in any "rapture".And I believe,as does most of Christianity,that dispensationalism is uneducated nonsense created by Darby in the 1800's.
ok, so you do not believe in rapture.

dispensationalism: What is dispensationalism and is it Biblical?

Quote:
There are at least three reasons why this is the best way to view Scripture. First, philosophically, the purpose of language itself seems to require that we interpret it literally. Language was given by God for the purpose of being able to communicate with man. The second reason is biblical. Every prophecy about Jesus Christ in the Old Testament was fulfilled literally. Jesus' birth, Jesus' ministry, Jesus' death, and Jesus' resurrection all occurred exactly and literally as the Old Testament predicted. There is no non-literal fulfillment of these prophecies in the New Testament. This argues strongly for the literal method. If literal interpretation is not used in studying the Scriptures, there is no objective standard by which to understand the Bible. Each and every person would be able to interpret the Bible as he saw fit. Biblical interpretation would devolve into “what this passage says to me...” instead of “the Bible says...” Sadly, this is already the case in much of what is called biblical interpretation today.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-08-2010 at 03:55 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
If the topic is rapture, then why does every UR believer come here to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing, None of you guys have tried to address the topic.

Do you believe there will be rapture? If yes, do you think it will be before, during, or after the tribulation?
Why don't you ever quote and address an entire post? It's really absurd. I answered your question....move along.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Default It will be like in days of Noah and Lot!

Quote:
What is your view about the topic? So far you have made four posts only to say Mike555 is wrong, but have not offered your own opinion.

I believe there will be a rapture before the tribulation, and Christ snatch us up and meet us (the believers) in the clouds, and we will be in heaven during the tribulation, and then return with Christ seven years later when he makes His 2nd coming and defeats Satan and establishes his 1000 year kingdom.
Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders: insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall ya unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. (Revelation 7:1-8)

39 .....And knew not until the flood came, and TOOK THEM all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. (Noah and his sons/wives were not raptured in the air)

Luke 17:32 Remember Lot's wife. (Lot and his 2 daughters were not raptured in the air)

35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

37 And they answered and said unto him, WHERE LORD? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles (vultures) be gathered together.

Peace!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Why don't you ever quote and address an entire post? It's really absurd. I answered your question....move along.
So, you believe it is a pie in the sky and has no Biblical support? Thats it?

No support??

1 Thessalonians 4:16–18 16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18Therefore encourage each other with these words.

1 Corinthians 15:50–54 I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory

Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
So, you believe it is a pie in the sky and has no Biblical support? Thats it?

No support??

1 Thessalonians 4:16–18 16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18Therefore encourage each other with these words.

1 Corinthians 15:50–54 I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders: insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall ya unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. (Revelation 7:1-8)

39 .....And knew not until the flood came, and TOOK THEM all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. (Noah and his sons/wives were not raptured in the air)

Luke 17:32 Remember Lot's wife. (Lot and his 2 daughters were not raptured in the air)

35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

37 And they answered and said unto him, WHERE LORD? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles (vultures) be gathered together.

Peace!
Matthew 5:5 And the meek shall inherit the earth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity