Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,625,657 times

Advertisements

People have told me there are only two people who hurl the F bomb better than I do. John Malkovich and Will Ferrell. They say I'm a pro at it. Even my angry self gives many folks the kick

Old 08-10-2010, 11:58 AM

45,315 posts, read 26,834,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Now that I've put this Thread into the Christianity forum, I thought I'd get a lot more of "it's wrong", "I hate it", "it's discusting"......along them lines of answers. But, I'm not and that REALLY, REALLY surprises me!!
Especially when reading replies like: "It's no big deal", "What exactly makes a bad word?", "what made the "f" word unacceptable?", "sticks and stones....."
These are not the comments/replies that I thought I'd get on a Christian forum!!
Profanity has gone so, so rapid today that it looks like even some Christians have accepted it......that is weird!
I just don't know what to think now
People are having so many problems these days that profanity doesn't seem like a big deal. Plus it's used so much, you get used to it. It's at work. It's at schools. It's in the take out line at the fast food place. It's everywhere.

A pastor who doesn't curse and has an adulterous relationship is more serious than some street punk who curses every other word.

I would rather it not be there, and my kids are taught not to curse. But I can't control others.

If I try to make a big deal of it, the best that will happen is that they wouldn't curse in my presence - but they would curse normally to everyone else. What does that do?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,679,324 times
ignore it because you don't want to make the swearer feel they are empowered by it.and some ppl will only do it more once they find out it bugs you.
if you acknowedge it then it gives the person a sense of power,so better to act like you don't even hear it.jmo.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,429,875 times
Quote:
Today it seems like the only place people can be and not hear profanity is inside a church. I read an article on MSN this AM about profanity at the workplace. Some say "it's our right to say what we want to so we can release anger at work". A certain number of professional people say profanity at the workplace should not be allowed at all. Actually, these professionals and Christians are very outnumbered by the people that will come out and tell us "take a hike!" (or even worse) if we say we don't like hearing it.
So, how do Christians deal with all these people in today's society that seem to love using profanity??? I told two co-workers once time that I really didn't like them talking to me and using the "f" word. My relationship with both of them went downhill and, of course, Management and HR don't like employees that complain about co-workers.
I don't like hearing swear words. But, I think it is funny where they come from: For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Store High In Transit. I think the issue with these words is how they are used. Especially frequently by people who are less educated. I think a person brings themselves down when using them.

Other words that are of a less degree sware word like D*mn, H*ll and A** I still am irritated when people use them, except when correctly used (like the dam broke or His ass was laden with food for the market, etc).

But, I am totally apposed to people saying "Jesus Christ" after they hit there thumb with the hammer. He is God after all. And if you curse his name, what name will you call upon to be saved from hell? I am irritated when people interject "God" all the time. But, when just saying "god", I don't know which god they are refering too, so I see it as a lesser sware word to taking Jesus' name in vain.

I tend to avoid people who sware all the time if at all possible. If a person goes on a rant fulll of explitives I just walk away. Of course I do not sware myself.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM

8,886 posts, read 20,271,752 times
Well, wife and I just don't associate/make friends with people who use profanity......especially those REALLY bad words (mf, f and others like them). But, then again we don't associate/make friends with smokers either. And, because we are a married couple, we have no friends that are single. Some people think we are too "narrow minded" if we don't like being around the above mentioned people........but it is our choice not to and that is that. Since we are in our early 60's, we don't have friends that are young either.
Are some of the people responding on this Thread actually Christians???? Isn't this forum for Christians?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,172,814 times
Quote:
Now that I've put this Thread into the Christianity forum, I thought I'd get a lot more of "it's wrong", "I hate it", "it's discusting"......along them lines of answers. But, I'm not and that REALLY, REALLY surprises me!!
Especially when reading replies like: "It's no big deal", "What exactly makes a bad word?", "what made the "f" word unacceptable?", "sticks and stones....."
These are not the comments/replies that I thought I'd get on a Christian forum!!
Profanity has gone so, so rapid today that it looks like even some Christians have accepted it......that is weird!
I just don't know what to think now
Maybe more of us aren’t legalist church ladies who get offended by every little thing a person does?

What commandment says we can't say "bad words"?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,085,109 times
I am not a Christian but I am wondering why Christians are so bothered by profanity? I have no problem with swear words - and often find them quite useful! The F word alone is amazing in it's versatility! There are very few words that offend me - and the ones that do are not profane. The words I find offensive are discriminatory words. For the most part - the words that people use do not bother me, it's the intention that can upset me. If someone says - That was the biggest wave I've ever seen - and inserts some expletives in there for emphasis - that is totally fine with me. Some saying "F you!" to me - well, that would offend me. It's the intention - not the word. They could as easily have said "I hate you" and I would have found it equally offensive. I don't know. To me, words are just words. It's how you use them and your intentions that make something offensive or not to me.
Just curious as to why simple words are considered so offensive. To me - it seems so arbitrary. Who decided they were bad in the first place?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,085,109 times
Quote:
Well, wife and I just don't associate/make friends with people who use profanity......especially those REALLY bad words (mf, f and others like them). But, then again we don't associate/make friends with smokers either. And, because we are a married couple, we have no friends that are single. Some people think we are too "narrow minded" if we don't like being around the above mentioned people........but it is our choice not to and that is that. Since we are in our early 60's, we don't have friends that are young either.
Are some of the people responding on this Thread actually Christians???? Isn't this forum for Christians?
So, you aren't friends with people who swear, smoke, are younger than you, single... Any more requirements?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,679,324 times
loveboating,if you think you would be a good influence on such ppl,then by all means don't disclude them from you life if you have something to offer.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,576,884 times
Quote:
This sub-forum is Christian in name only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity