Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 06:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,810,765 times

Advertisements

Christians and profanity? I personally share just how ridiculous profanity is with literal translations and even ridiculous comparisons.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM

8,886 posts, read 20,271,752 times
Wife has asthma......absolutely no smokers. That's not "isolation" that's just plain keeping her from having an attack. Anyway, if we choose not to associate with smokers, that IS our choice. Some people choose to be around people no matter what kind of bad habits people have......not us!
Very few people in our age bracket (early 60's) use profanity anyway and very few-to-almost none say the f bomb! And, anyone today/this day and age has to watch who they talk Jesus and Religion to! Some folks don't like it and will tell you that to your face! If I was a Pastor or part of the Clergy, I'd do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you reach people if you isolate yourselves like that?

I hear the f word all the time, and it doesn't bother me because hearing it is unavoidable. What am I supposed to do? Quit my job and quit playing golf so I wouldn't hear it? No can do. Also, it is not my job to police people. I play golf with someone who likes to smoke cannabis, and I used to wonder if I should distance myself from him, but I have decided not to, because if I did, then who is going to talk to him about Jesus? Aren't the profane the ones who need to hear the message more than the ones who are already saved?

PS Some Christians smoke. I think they understand it does not glorify God etc, but they are simply unable to stop smoking. Nicotine addiction is extremelly hard to break, and many have prayed for years for strength to quit.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM

76,967 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife has asthma......absolutely no smokers. That's not "isolation" that's just plain keeping her from having an attack. Anyway, if we choose not to associate with smokers, that IS our choice. Some people choose to be around people no matter what kind of bad habits people have......not us!
Very few people in our age bracket (early 60's) use profanity anyway and very few-to-almost none say the f bomb! And, anyone today/this day and age has to watch who they talk Jesus and Religion to! Some folks don't like it and will tell you that to your face! If I was a Pastor or part of the Clergy, I'd do it.
I dont' think asthma is the reason. You could simply ask them to not smoke around her. It sounds like you have simply decided to not associate with people with such habits, even if they were Christian. Nothing wrong with that, but they might think you resent them. But again, it is your choise.

I have noticed the older people prefer the s-o-b words rather than the f-bomb.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,242,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I try to save cussing for when I stub a toe (especially if it is the little pinky toe nearly being ripped off) or when I hammer my thumb I feel justified in saying the 'S' word. If I used that language all the time, it would not be as effective when it is warranted.
One of the most impressive, unforgettable things Father did was when I was eight. He had just finished creating and painting a pink bathroom. He was hanging a picture on the wall as a last touch. He hit his thumb with a hammer.

His thumb burst open, and blood went everywhere in that little room.

He said, "Humph!"

That's all.

Wow! That really impressed me!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:23 PM

478 posts, read 769,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I was lucky to work at a place where profanity was against policy and one could be written up for using it. That is the only way a company can successfully do away with it. Unfortunately one department manager must have never read the policy and took God's name in vain on a daily basis. Things like that hurt my ears, so I prayed about it and she was let go. When it is your boss doing it, not much else but pray for them will work.
Pray for them, so they lose their job, in order that they can no longer offend overly-sensitive YOU? Way to work your energies towards something positive...

By the way, since when is the word "god" considered profane? NCN, perhaps you just didn't like how the person was using it, but would it really be fair if you were allowed to say "praise god", but he NOT allowed to say "g** damn", or "oh my god"? Watch what you wish for, because if the PCers like you get their way, soon enough it will be YOU who is fired for the very thing you wished upon another person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
All of that has to do with how words are used. A well placed F bomb is not offensive, it makes the right point.

You can make use of words that shield someone from the true intent of your thoughts and make it more diffocult for someone to call it out.

Christians that say "oh bless his heart" with a condescending ring to it think they are not being offensive, but they are just as mean spirited if not more than someone who uses the F word and is just emphasizing something rather than using it to be offensive.

Someone reacts to something bad that just happened by saying, awww F, is not offensive.

F You is because usually it's intent is to verbally harm someone, but no one needs profanity to do that, so the lack of it makes it better?

Quote:
I really don't think any TRUE Christians will agree with your thoughts! The F bomb is totally offensive no matter how or where it is said. Not to get "off topic", but to wife and I, it is just as bad as putting an "X" in place of Christ for the word Christmas.
Well I certainly agree with Phazelwood completely, and I'm pretty sure most reasonable and logical peopel would as well, christian or not. There wasn't anything he said that did NOT make sense. Unless someone is dropping the F bomb incessently, like every other word then it shouldn't even be noticeable to anyone who is listening and trying to absorb the point of what someone is saying. So to single out a word and isolate it with a complete disregard of the surrounding context is a good way to miss out on a whole lot of information, if all you can do is be offended by one stupid word. Not to mention you're fighting a losing battle if you want to live happily within our society and not be uptight all the time. Choose your battles, people!

Oh, and I personally love putting that X in place of christ at Xmas...why would that bother you, or anyone? I don't really celebrate Xmas because it is a capitalistic holiday based on greed and consumerism, and which has nothing to do with christ, so why include his name in the title? I have a feeling jesus would back me up on that too, especially considering most people celebrate his birthday on the wrong day anyway...

Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,593,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Ohhhhhhh - you said bull hockey! I'm telling!!!
LoL - it's like a bunch of kids, right? That's why, despite all my criticisms, I love fundies AND old folks.

Selah.....

Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
it is just as bad as putting an "X" in place of Christ for the word Christmas.
Like this? Χριστὸς

Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Like this? Χριστὸς
Oo-oo-oo! you in TROUBLE, too!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
One of the most impressive, unforgettable things Father did was when I was eight. He had just finished creating and painting a pink bathroom. He was hanging a picture on the wall as a last touch. He hit his thumb with a hammer.

His thumb burst open, and blood went everywhere in that little room.

He said, "Humph!"

That's all.

Wow! That really impressed me!
Impressive. I don't cuss (much) but once while working in the attic I raised my bald head solidly up into a nail and consequently yelled "S***!!!!".

My kids heard this and after coming down the asked me if THEY could say it too. I said "Only if you are in the attic and raise your head up into a nail".

From then on - if they ever got really mad and wanted to cuss they would just ask "Can I go up into the attic?"

Kids....

Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM

I should not have been so flippant. Please forgive me. I understand, a little, why people get upset when others use the X in the holiday. Many Christians today are fighting for just their right to observe it openly.

I don't celebrate it, so it is no big deal to me. And having taken Greek, once more, it is no big deal to me. But I understand your wanting the respect for your holiday -- again, to a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity