Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
GODS WORDS ARE, all of it! Who are you going to believe?............................FINAL ANSWER!!
I'll believe God's words over any human. Trouble is, I'm still waiting to hear from God. So far he's been amazingly silent.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
It was the western Latin speaking roman Catholics that made ET the orthodox doctrine, hence the dark ages ... So yeah, fundamentalist Christians do think God is like the Romans, only infinitely more cruel.
You know you are incorrect here with this statement, as I have already proved, among others.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
It is so pointless to debate with people that don't even respect God! With people who only want to pick and choose which parts of His words are believable and simply "do away" with the rest, these have at least chosen, there are others though who haven't, but truly desire to know.

God spoke about hell long before Mary Baxter's vision!! Bottom line! Yet, you don't BELIEVE HIM!!!! Let them tell it, there's no such place!!

Carry on........................there's plenty of roads that leads right there. Keep it up..
God never spoke about hell, hell is a pagan myth. The writers of the scriptures, inspired by God, wrote about Hades and Sheol(the grave) and they wrote about tartaroo(on one occasion) and Gehenna(a trash pit), but the word hell is Germanic, and does not appearing the Hebrew or the Greek texts.

There is no such place as the mythical hell ... Other than here on planet earth.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
I couldn't agree more with your post, but to be fair, others including myself have been guilty of that as well (accusing people of lying, or being delusional because we don't agree with their views/opinions)

I'm sure that you will agree, that NONE of what's posted on here makes any blooming sense, as it's all based on conjecture and speculation and one woman's nightmare that she felt she had to broadcast to the world, for whatever motive we will never know, whether to make a fast buck or put fears into people's hearts, either way, it certainly was a win-win situation for her but not for many others terrorized by what she had written
She certainly made a fast buck ...

Old 08-15-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You know you are incorrect here with this statement, as I have already proved, among others.
Sciotamicks, my friend, you have only proven to me that you are a misanthrope and an elitist.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:58 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'll believe God's words over any human. Trouble is, I'm still waiting to hear from God. So far he's been amazingly silent.
What do you mean? He has had a cable access show in Souh Park CO. for years. Ask Jesus - Video Clips - South Park Studios

Old 08-15-2010, 01:30 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Oh, you'll hear from Him. There's one of two ways you can meet Him, as friend, or foe, and yes, you get to choose!! Praying that it will be sooner, rather than later!

PS: By the way......It's in the silence when you can hear Him best! Ask me how, I'll be happy to show you how.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:51 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,001,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You have never proven anything.It is a historical fact that many of the Arabic Eastern Orthodox churches were universalist.The western Roman church won the battle to determine the official view of the church with the aid of the Roman emperor Constantine's temporal power.Any denial of this from you is irrelevant when people can research the history of the original Eastern Orthodox churches for themselves.

From wiki

In the first five or six centuries of Christian history, the majority of theological schools in the East taught Universalism. The most important such school was the Didascalium in Alexandria, Egypt, which was founded by Saint Pantaenus ca. 190 C.E.Alexandria was the center of learning and intellectual discourse in the ancient Mediterranean world, and was the theological center of gravity of Christianity prior to the rise of the imperial Roman Church.Alexandrian Christianity emphasized apocatastasis and theosis as its main teachings.

Saint Clement of Alexandria succeeded Pantaenus as the second head of the Didascalium in the late 2nd century. He was a prolific writer who combined Bible scholarship with Greek philosophy to present a systematic theology based on Christian Universalist beliefs.

Origen was the student and successor of Clement of Alexandria. This 3rd century theologian is generally regarded as the most significant of all the ancient teachers of Christian Universalism. He wrote over 6,000 works including commentaries on almost every book of the Bible, sermons, treatises, letters, apologies, and the Hexapla, a scholarly translation of the Old Testament.

Saint Gregory of Nyssa and Saint Macrina the Younger, who were brother and sister, were both prominent Christian Universalists of the 4th century in the Alexandrian tradition of Clement and Origen.Gregory of Nyssa was a bishop and theologian. Macrina the Younger was the leader of a convent of nuns.

Another branch of Christian Universalism in the ancient church, separate from the Alexandria school, was the Nestorian movement which later became the Assyrian Church of the East. Nestorianism originated in the 5th century in Constantinople and Antioch. Theodore of Mopsuestia was an influential bishop who introduced universal reconciliation into the liturgy of the Nestorians, and who is still honored in the Nestorian tradition as the "Interpreter" of the faith.

Even today the hope of universalism is allowed within Orthodoxy as a theologumen.

Last edited by lifertexan; 08-15-2010 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Sciotamicks, my friend, you have only proven to me that you are a misanthrope and an elitist.
Thanks for the laugh. You are still my friend though. Sorry to blast off topic...maybe another thread, in another time.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
You have never proven anything.It is a historical fact that many of the Arabic Eastern Orthodox churches were universalist.The western Roman church won the battle to determine the official view of the church with the aid of the Roman emperor Constantine's temporal power.Any denial of this from you is irrelevant when people can research the history of the original Eastern Orthodox churches for themselves.

From wiki

In the first five or six centuries of Christian history, the majority of theological schools in the East taught Universalism. The most important such school was the Didascalium in Alexandria, Egypt, which was founded by Saint Pantaenus ca. 190 C.E.Alexandria was the center of learning and intellectual discourse in the ancient Mediterranean world, and was the theological center of gravity of Christianity prior to the rise of the imperial Roman Church.Alexandrian Christianity emphasized apocatastasis and theosis as its main teachings.

Saint Clement of Alexandria succeeded Pantaenus as the second head of the Didascalium in the late 2nd century. He was a prolific writer who combined Bible scholarship with Greek philosophy to present a systematic theology based on Christian Universalist beliefs.

Origen was the student and successor of Clement of Alexandria. This 3rd century theologian is generally regarded as the most significant of all the ancient teachers of Christian Universalism. He wrote over 6,000 works including commentaries on almost every book of the Bible, sermons, treatises, letters, apologies, and the Hexapla, a scholarly translation of the Old Testament.

Saint Gregory of Nyssa and Saint Macrina the Younger, who were brother and sister, were both prominent Christian Universalists of the 4th century in the Alexandrian tradition of Clement and Origen.Gregory of Nyssa was a bishop and theologian. Macrina the Younger was the leader of a convent of nuns.

Another branch of Christian Universalism in the ancient church, separate from the Alexandria school, was the Nestorian movement which later became the Assyrian Church of the East. Nestorianism originated in the 5th century in Constantinople and Antioch. Theodore of Mopsuestia was an influential bishop who introduced universal reconciliation into the liturgy of the Nestorians, and who is still honored in the Nestorian tradition as the "Interpreter" of the faith.

Even today the hope of universalism is allowed within Orthodoxy as a theologumen.
Want to go some rounds on another thread?
Save your wiki sources, I will produce many works predating Christ, contemporary to Him, and post crux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity