Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
LOL, the word is Gehenna.

News flash, Gehenna was a trash pit just outside the wall of Jerusalem, in the valley of the sons of Hinnom, where the bodies of criminals were thrown after they had been killed.

Guess what? The thief that was crucified with Christ was likely thrown into Gehenna after he died, yet he will be in paradise with Christ.
What basis do you have that he will be in paradise?

What basis do you have that he was thrown into the trash pit just outside the wall of Jerusalem .... for Jesus to be crucified beside [along with ... not sure if you're going to greek out ], Jesus was convicted as a criminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
What basis do you have that he will be in paradise?

What basis do you have that he was thrown into the trash pit just outside the wall of Jerusalem .... for Jesus to be crucified beside [along with ... not sure if you're going to greek out ], Jesus was convicted as a criminal?
Jesus was convicted as a blasphemer, but he was given the tomb of his uncle Joseph of Arimathea ... It is questionable as to why they did not cast his body Gehenna, but Joseph was most likely a member of the Sanhedrin, and so he would have had allot of clout, hence upon request Pilate released the body of Christ to Joseph so that he could bury him(remember that Pilate did not believe Christ to be truly guilty of any crimes), otherwise he most likely would have been discarded into the fires like the others. Had he not been given the tomb of his uncle(great uncle according to some ancient Christian traditions), he likely would have been thrown into the fires of Gehenna. As far as the thief is concerned, it is not certain one way or the other, and as i said it is likely his corpse was cast into Gehenna, because that is what they usually did with the corpses of criminals instead of burying them.

How do i know he will be in paradise with Christ? Because according to the gospels Christ said he would. Haven't you read it?

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 08-16-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
How do i know he will be in paradise with Christ, because according to the gospels Christ said he would. Haven't you read it?
So what's you're point?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
So what's you're point?
The point is i was answering your question ...

Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

You say kampto/bow is not the issue

But than you make it the issue here

You again equate kampto/bow and prospipto/fall down to meaning the same thing.

You keep undoing your whole argument by this insistence.

What you are doing is no different then if I saw someone trip and fall flat on their face and seen some kneel down to worship God and saying look everyone both are worshiping God.

I suppose if I used your reasoning we can all say there and their mean the same thing.

For that is exactly what you are saying and you expect people to agree with you that they mean the same thing. Sure they may sound the same but the definitions are worlds apart.

That you insist on defending your error shows me you are more concerned with your doctrine then you are for the truth.
Prospipto means pressing your face on the ground in worship. It is where the english word 'prostration' comes from. Think how muslims pray five times a day.

Definisi :
1) to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
2) among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and
touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound
reverence
3) in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make
obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication
3a) used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
3a1) to the Jewish high priests
3a2) to God
3a3) to Christ
3a4) to heavenly beings

pros·trate your·self vr lie face downward: to lie prone or stretched out with the face downward or bow very low, e.g. in worship or submission
He prostrated himself before the emperor.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
The point is i was answering your question ...
Ah come on.... double standard getting to you?

I'm suppose to believe it just because Jesus said it?

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Ah come on.... double standard getting to you?

I'm suppose to believe it just because Jesus said it?

What double standard? You don't have to believe anything you do not want to ...

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
What double standard? You don't have to believe anything you do not want to ...

Your apparent double standard .... why wasn't that offer given to the other criminal? It wasn't like the other criminal couldn't get away from this situation.

Jesus said other things too....why believe only some and not others?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Your apparent double standard .... why wasn't that offer given to the other criminal? It wasn't like the other criminal couldn't get away from this situation.

Jesus said other things too....why believe only some and not others?

I don't know why you would not believe everything that was written about what Christ said ... I do.

The other criminal was hanging from a cross, how do you suppose he could have gotten away?

I really don't understand what you are going on about. It seems like you are trying to trick me or that you are implying something, but for the life of me i cant figure out what. Why don't you just come out and say whatever it is you are thinking?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

You say kampto/bow is not the issue

But than you make it the issue here

You again equate kampto/bow and prospipto/fall down to meaning the same thing.

You keep undoing your whole argument by this insistence.

What you are doing is no different then if I saw someone trip and fall flat on their face and seen some kneel down to worship God and saying look everyone both are worshiping God.

I suppose if I used your reasoning we can all say there and their mean the same thing.

For that is exactly what you are saying and you expect people to agree with you that they mean the same thing. Sure they may sound the same but the definitions are worlds apart.

That you insist on defending your error shows me you are more concerned with your doctrine then you are for the truth.
Again. The issue and the point is not the bodily position assumed by the demon indwelt man, but rather, the issue and the point is that whenever Christ encountered demons during His first advent on earth, the demons who know that they are going to spend eternity in the lake of fire, knew that He is the Son of God and they made that acknowledgement when in His presence (Mark 5:7 and crying out with a loud voice, he said ''What do I have to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I implore You by God, do not torment me!''). These same demons who caused the man whose body they indwelt to proskuneó in Mark 5:6 will at a point in the future kampto before Jesus and acknowledge His Lordship as will the rest of creation as mentioned in Phil 2:10-11

The point of the passage comparisons is not the bodily position but rather the comparison is the forced acknowledgement of Jesus' Lordship.

And all fallen angels and all unsaved humanity will go into the eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels as per Matthew 25:41,46; and Revelation 20:10-15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity