Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,237,427 times

Advertisements

Here are some Baptist concepts I should have figured out but didn't. (My children were in an Independent Baptist church-school as tiny ones.) I did notice that this particular Baptist church strongly -- adamantly! -- supported particular missionaries and colleges. They were very busy at doing that, like their lives depended upon it!

So an article I read moments ago said that particular Baptist churches do commonly support particular missionaries and colleges and that Baptists are very much into missionaries.

Quote:
The Southern Baptist Convention with about 55 thousand US churches and 5,000 missionaries is the largest single group of Baptist churches in the world. Most churches in this convention support missionaries through the denominational, International Mission Board which is administered by the SBC convention. Quite a few Baptist churches among Southern Baptists also support other missionaries and missionary projects that are not affiliated with their convention, but almost all Southern Baptist churches support the Southern Baptist Convention and also the International Mission Board of the denomination.
Sometimes churches in the SBC have in their name, Missionary Baptist Church.
Quote:
While most Baptists believe in missions, the ABA [American Baptist Association] usually believe that there should be no mission board involved in the sending out of missionaries. Rather, they believe that it is the job of the local church where the missionary is sent from to take on the responsibility of supplying the need of the missionary, overseeing their support amount, recommending them to other churches of like faith for support and serving as oversight of the missionary on the field. Some ABA churches also teach 'Baptist Bride' and 'Baptist Succession' doctrines that are not taught in most Baptist Churches. Almost all ABA Churches also believe in 'closed communion' which is the practice of excluding visitors from the churches' communion service, even if that visitor is a Christian and a Baptist of like faith.
They added:
Quote:
Almost all Baptist churches believe in baptizing by immersion just as the pattern of the New Testament. They teach that baptism does not save us, but rather is a witness and demonstration of our faith in Christ and our obedience to follow Him in our life.
Almost all Baptist Churches believe in self-government of each local church and that no outside authority has a right to impose their rule over that of the local church itself and its members.
Almost all Baptist Churches agree that salvation by Christ is the first and most important matter for every person and that it is the local churches greatest mission to make sure everyone in our community has this witness and message given to them. After Christ is accepted as personal Saviour, Biblical Baptism then follows conversion to Christ and never precedes it. These are some of the areas that most Baptists are alike in whether they actually put 'Missionary' in their name or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 17,435 times
Default difference between Southern and American Baptist churches?

re: difference between Southern and American Baptist churches?

My 2 cents: I was reared as an American Baptist in Kansas City, MO.
The difference that I saw was as follows:
American Baptist Church has OPEN communion. As long as you are a baptised church member from any church...Methodist, Presb, etc...you were welcome to take communion in my childhood church.
The Southern Baptists (my aunt as example) were much more "shall not" versus accepting people as valuable people even if they did not agree with all of your tennants.
Hope this is of use.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
I just exited a Baptist church that supports homosexuality, the congregation is biblically illiterate, the Bible is not preached or adhered to. This church had left the SBC. I now attend a Baptist church that is affiliated with the SBC and at long last I feel as though I am at home, a reasonable God fearing , Bible believing, Bible teaching church.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm getting such objective answers. I should have known.
It is true that the American Baptists tend to be more liberal. I almost took a position in a former American Baptist church that had left the conference to become independent because they couldn't hold to the liberal theology.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM

27,857 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It is true that the American Baptists tend to be more liberal. I almost took a position in a former American Baptist church that had left the conference to become independent because they couldn't hold to the liberal theology.
So Vizio, I don't think I've ever asked... Are you Baptist yourself?

Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,764,446 times
One thing most Baptist churches of any variety have in common, besides immersion baptism, is autonomy of the local church. Because of this, different churches in the same denomination may have wildly varying views on topics such as have been previously discussed. Thus while for example the Southern Baptists may be more conservative in general than the American Baptists, in any given microcosm you may find the opposite to be the case.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,079,891 times
Quote:
So Vizio, I don't think I've ever asked... Are you Baptist yourself?
Nope. But this would be an example of different denominations being very similar, and really the only difference is the organization/structure of the church, and the denominational hierarchy.

Before becoming a pastor of a "Community Church" I was a member of a Bible Church. I wouldn't be a pastor here if there was any major doctrinal issues that we disagreed on.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:52 PM

23,863 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the difference between these two denominations?

I'd be happy to! I have relatives who are American Baptists and I am well acquainted with both denominations.

Originally there was one Baptist Church in the US begun by Rodger Williams in Rhode Island. The main distinctive of Baptists from other Protestant Churches of the time was the focus on believers baptism, as opposed to infant baptism.

The split was essentially over the subject of slavery. The Northern Baptists opposed it, and the southern Baptists defended it.

Now there are other differences. The American Baptists are a mainline church and share many views with other Protestant denominations. They also ordain women. Some are open and accepting's towards Gays.

The Southern Baptists have become increasingly conservative over the years, in their stances on a variety of issues, both social and theological. They believe in he doctrine of the Rapture and they are essentially a Fundamentalist sect. They focus quite a bit on eschatology and evangelism.

Famously, former President Jimmy Carter left the Southern Baptist Convention over their stance on women. He is now a member of Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains GA, where he teaches Sunday School.

The American Baptist Church in a member of the Ecumenical National Council of Churches. The SBC is not.

Hope that this is helpful Katzpur!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 PM

23,863 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
You can google it.
Southern Baptist began as a racist split from the Baptists, not as a group born in revival of the Holy Spirit like the Methodist Church began under Wesley [the Methodist is now less than they began, and the SBA is much more than they began, in general, in Christ].
The organization apologized a couple decades or less, ago.

By this logic, any City Data poster who asks a question could just "google it" and we could dispense with all human discourse and debate entirely. Including City Data!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 PM

27,857 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'd be happy to! I have relatives who are American Baptists and I am well acquainted with both denominations.

Originally there was one Baptist Church in the US begun by Rodger Williams in Rhode Island. The main distinctive of Baptists from other Protestant Churches of the time was the focus on believers baptism, as opposed to infant baptism.

The split was essentially over the subject of slavery. The Northern Baptists opposed it, and the southern Baptists defended it.

Now there are other differences. The American Baptists are a mainline church and share many views with other Protestant denominations. They also ordain women. Some are open and accepting's towards Gays.

The Southern Baptists have become increasingly conservative over the years, in their stances on a variety of issues, both social and theological. They believe in he doctrine of the Rapture and they are essentially a Fundamentalist sect. They focus quite a bit on eschatology and evangelism.

Famously, former President Jimmy Carter left the Southern Baptist Convention over their stance on women. He is now a member of Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains GA, where he teaches Sunday School.

The American Baptist Church in a member of the Ecumenical National Council of Churches. The SBC is not.

Hope that this is helpful Katzpur!
That, Sheena, was the most informative answer I've received yet. Just the simple, straightforward facts without an ounce of "these ones are the good guys and these ones are the bad guys" nonsense to go along with it. Thanks! (Sorry I can't rep you again quite yet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity