Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times

Advertisements

Suicide bombers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
This thread may be moved to a general religious forum. Nevertheless, i poss a question to Christian believers. What is the difference between fundamentalist Islam and fundamentalist Christianity?

I mean beside Christ and Mohamed ...

They may have different beliefs but both groups have fundamentalists who think they are right and everyone else is wrong. The difference is the fundamentalists will go to extremes. Fundamentalist Christians have bombed abortion clinics, shot people, and there is a group who regularly pickets outside of military funerals. Fundamentalist Muslims see violence as a means to an end. Right now Islam has a problem with those who espouse a narrow extreme view a fundamentalist view. Christianity had a very violent history that exposed the same narrow violent view when it came to both non-Christians and even Christians.

Religion always has a spectrum of practice and when it does its healthy but there is always a tension between the fundamentalist end of the spectrum to the liberal end of the spectrum.

The fundamentalist sees his view as the right view and everyone else as wrong.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
They may have different beliefs but both groups have fundamentalists who think they are right and everyone else is wrong. The difference is the fundamentalists will go to extremes. Fundamentalist Christians have bombed abortion clinics, shot people, and there is a group who regularly pickets outside of military funerals. Fundamentalist Muslims see violence as a means to an end. Right now Islam has a problem with those who espouse a narrow extreme view a fundamentalist view. Christianity had a very violent history that exposed the same narrow violent view when it came to both non-Christians and even Christians.

Religion always has a spectrum of practice and when it does its healthy but there is always a tension between the fundamentalist end of the spectrum to the liberal end of the spectrum.

The fundamentalist sees his view as the right view and everyone else as wrong.

The instances where someone claiming to be a Christian who bombed and murdered acted primarily alone and we do not have to find secret cells of fundamentalist Christians.

Islamic radicals are known to be in high number, known to have secret groups and that high number of people and active secret cells are known to actively engage in planning and carrying out destructive attacks.

If the fundamentalist Christians actively engaged in group planning and carrying out attacks, every abortion clinic in the country would be leveled to the ground.

Islam wants to take over the world by physical force, fundamentalist Christianity might teach and assert an eternal hell and actively assert that peoples rejection of God explains the weather patterns and earthquakes etc, but they are out in the world evangelizing in peaceful ways in large numbers.

In comparison, can you name a significant number of peaceful islamic missionaries that actively going to the world preaching a message of love of their God, even if someone wants to bring up the ET argument it is not the same endeavor that fundamentalist Islam is engaged in.

Not even close. Even if people bring up the past, well, that is the past.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:24 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The instances where someone claiming to be a Christian who bombed and murdered acted primarily alone and we do not have to find secret cells of fundamentalist Christians.

Islamic radicals are known to be in high number, known to have secret groups and that high number of people and active secret cells are known to actively engage in planning and carrying out destructive attacks.

If the fundamentalist Christians actively engaged in group planning and carrying out attacks, every abortion clinic in the country would be leveled to the ground.

Islam wants to take over the world by physical force, fundamentalist Christianity might teach and assert an eternal hell and actively assert that peoples rejection of God explains the weather patterns and earthquakes etc, but they are out in the world evangelizing in peaceful ways in large numbers.

In comparison, can you name a significant number of peaceful islamic missionaries that actively going to the world preaching a message of love of their God, even if someone wants to bring up the ET argument it is not the same endeavor that fundamentalist Islam is engaged in.

Not even close. Even if people bring up the past, well, that is the past.
Christianity has a very violent history and if you read back you will see atrocities in the name of G-d and religion that are just as horrendous. Islam is 1400 years old. It may change. Christianity did, but there are still pockets of extreme views in Christianity.

My point is that anytime you have fundamentalists within a religion who have a very narrow view of their faith and mix that with everyone else is wrong you have a problem.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:35 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,421 times
So if they are wrong-the fundies, then you must know the truth? How else would you know that they are wrong? One must know the truth to recognize it, and if one can recognize the truth, then one has the ability to point out falsehood. Therefore, tell us what the truth is, tell us where the fundies error and why.

The truth is, you don't know truth. You are just making statements that play to the rabble and your own bias-to get a back slap. It may be best to say, "I personally don't know the truth, and I don't like the fundies thinking they do know it. Since I do not know the truth, the fundies may be correct or more correct than I am, but I hate them for taking their truth more seriously than me as I want to include every Tom, Dick, and Harry in it", or something similar; that way one avoids sounding like a dork. As Jean Baudrillard wrote in one of his books on Simulation, something to the effect, one destroys a religious (or bad mouths them I suspect) people who take their religion too seriously because the destroyers know or suspect that their own religion is hollow; Or something similar.

In the old days, one was a christian because one was born in a christian nation (christendom), prior to that, one was a christian because one had decided to be one when the world was against him/her and he/she risked life and property, now one is a christian because everyone gets to heaven whether they believe or not, no risk, no faith, no passion; just pop out of a womb, and that is what is common with Islam, as everyone is born a moslem. It is not fundies that are the danger (they have problems to be sure, and actually are not conservative but liberal, just up on the conservative side of the liberal), it is all that ol' liberal tripe christianity, that form of christianity that sells itself away, thinks along with the liberal secularists that you do not own property, the state is god (liberal lutherns who fell in with Hitler-see the Barmen confession all you morons who think Hitler was a christian, and the orthodox church that fell in with the commies in the ussr).

Now, anyone who says the only difference between these two religions is the reductionist slope posted here obviously lacks a lot of information and would do well to acquire some instead of looking like a fool.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:48 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
So if they are wrong-the fundies, then you must know the truth? How else would you know that they are wrong? One must know the truth to recognize it, and if one can recognize the truth, then one has the ability to point out falsehood. Therefore, tell us what the truth is, tell us where the fundies error and why.

The truth is, you don't know truth. You are just making statements that play to the rabble and your own bias-to get a back slap. It may be best to say, "I personally don't know the truth, and I don't like the fundies thinking they do know it. Since I do not know the truth, the fundies may be correct or more correct than I am, but I hate them for taking their truth more seriously than me as I want to include every Tom, Dick, and Harry in it", or something similar; that way one avoids sounding like a dork. As Jean Baudrillard wrote in one of his books on Simulation, something to the effect, one destroys a religious (or bad mouths them I suspect) people who take their religion too seriously because the destroyers know or suspect that their own religion is hollow; Or something similar.

In the old days, one was a christian because one was born in a christian nation (christendom), prior to that, one was a christian because one had decided to be one when the world was against him/her and he/she risked life and property, now one is a christian because everyone gets to heaven whether they believe or not, no risk, no faith, no passion; just pop out of a womb, and that is what is common with Islam, as everyone is born a moslem. It is not fundies that are the danger (they have problems to be sure, and actually are not conservative but liberal, just up on the conservative side of the liberal), it is all that ol' liberal tripe christianity, that form of christianity that sells itself away, thinks along with the liberal secularists that you do not own property, the state is god (liberal lutherns who fell in with Hitler-see the Barmen confession all you morons who think Hitler was a christian, and the orthodox church that fell in with the commies in the ussr).

Now, anyone who says the only difference between these two religions is the reductionist slope posted here obviously lacks a lot of information and would do well to acquire some instead of looking like a fool.
Thank you for the the diatribe ... Now, maybe you will give your opinion as to the OP? That is to say ... What is the difference between fundamentalist Christianity and Islam beside Christ and Muhammad ... ?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,421 times
I think your thanks is not real-and if this applies to me then it should apply to all; isn't that the fair thing?

ramadon
occassional fasting
communion
prophet top office
apostle top office
virgins
no marriage in heaven
all born into islam
all who say lord will not enter
waiting for a general to unite
waiting for the eschaton
so, kingdom of this world
kingdom not of this world
trinity
god is one
god revealed by prophet
god revealed by himself through his son
take from the NT, but not all
believes in the NT
pray 8 times towards mecca
pray without ceasing, hidden
mecca holy
no place holy
bad mouth prophet, get a death threat
bad mouth jesus, increase you audience

etc, etc, etc......

Now, why such negativity toward my post, hardly anyone stays with the original topic. Hey, list some more stuff too (such as views on abraham's boys), and remember, one could write lots about my puny list; so I suppose there are some big differences especially as the list grows.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,760,317 times
Quote:
I think your thanks is not real-and if this applies to me then it should apply to all; isn't that the fair thing?

ramadon
occassional fasting
communion
prophet top office
apostle top office
virgins
no marriage in heaven
all born into islam
all who say lord will not enter
waiting for a general to unite
waiting for the eschaton
so, kingdom of this world
kingdom not of this world
trinity
god is one
god revealed by prophet
god revealed by himself through his son
take from the NT, but not all
believes in the NT
pray 8 times towards mecca
pray without ceasing, hidden
mecca holy
no place holy
bad mouth prophet, get a death threat
bad mouth jesus, increase you audience

etc, etc, etc......

Now, why such negativity toward my post, hardly anyone stays with the original topic. Hey, list some more stuff too (such as views on abraham's boys), and remember, one could write lots about my puny list; so I suppose there are some big differences especially as the list grows.
Nothing negative about your post. Opinions are like aholes, everyone has one. everyone thinks they are right in their own minds.

I just wanted to know what people thought was the differences between Christianity and Islam beside Christ and Muhammad ...

In your list above i see you pointing out differences in traditional cerimony and ritual. So i surmise that the only real differences between Islam and fundamental Christianity, according to you, is the mode of worship, and the opinion of who is really the elect of God/Allah and certain rudiments concerning eschatology ...

Thank you for your opinion ...

Peace ...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
The main and over riding difference between Islam and Christianity is this.
Christianity is the truth about God, his plans for His people and his creation. it's God based and based on Grace and is the ultimate truth in the universe.
Islam is just another man based religion where everything is based on Works of man and is false.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:

Careful there allen...calling people morons (regardless of what was said) is hardly the element of one who is asking for EVERYONE to pray for help in another thread...
I do admire your tenacity and despair both at the same time...

Sorry for going off topic...reflex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity