U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,210,108 times

Advertisements

This thread may be moved to a general religious forum. Nevertheless, i poss a question to Christian believers. What is the difference between fundamentalist Islam and fundamentalist Christianity?

I mean beside Christ and Mohamed ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 05:16 PM

7,880 posts, read 6,691,569 times
The diffrence is There is no Holy Spirit in Islam ,,, The Koran may give referance to Holy Spirit but does not have the witnesses and the teaching like Christians today and the New Testament Christians on Holy Spirit........ Jahad freedom fighter may or may not represent Islam but have to fight and kill themselves for their Islam Alla God...... Where fundamental Christians may have mouth to defend themselves and sometimes be martyred do not kill for there Jesus God ...... Before the Cross of Jesus , Disciple Peter took a sword and cut a man ear off to fight for Jesus , and Jesus rebuked Peter and healed the mans ear and told Peter..`` a man who lives by the sword will die by the sword`` .meaning Christians must not kill for the Lord God, Jesus can take care of himself.....In the tenth to the twelveth century the leader fought for the Holy lands of ancient Israel in the crusades , where out of the purpose and will of God. God would have told them to love your enemies and pray for them and plead the blood of Jesus on this injustace and if Jesus wanted to give Christians the Holy land than they would of had them longer than they got

Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,283,327 times
They are both extreme in their beliefs, and extreme beliefs, are dangerous, doesn't matter if they are religious, political, or financial.

The extremists are the ones that took us to war, always have, always will.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,763,217 times
Besides Jesus and Mohammed, there doesn't seem to be much of difference.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,178,376 times
Hey ms wright-you may want to read up on this some

Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 PM

21,292 posts, read 20,946,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I'm with you, Ilene.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 AM

7,940 posts, read 8,521,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm with you, Ilene.

Hey, do you guys ever read the Bible?

If you do, do you even pay attention?

Try John 14:6 and get back to me.

Maybe Mormonism and UR are in agreement with Islam. The above posts do suggest that.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:56 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,210,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Maybe Mormonism and UR are in agreement with Islam. The above posts do suggest that.
Perhaps you should read the OP more carefully ... I asked what was the difference beside Christ and Mohamed ...

Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,404,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Does the bible talk about Muhammad? Interesting.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,785,412 times
There are so many definitions of fundamentalists, and everyone seems to have her/his own definition, no matter what any dictionary says.
My boss teases me saying I am a fundamentalist.
However, I:
  • pay my taxes
  • do not live in a commune
  • own no guns
  • have never been on a firing range
  • do not hit people over their heads with either Bibles or hymnals
  • am not planning a fiery end for my unbelieving neighbors
  • don't have any tatoos
  • wear normal-looking clothes
  • have no camoflage things
  • do not beat children
  • do not tithe
  • do not like the govt but have no plan to overthrow it

What my boss intends by calling me a fundamentalist is that I believe a certain few things in the Bible that he does not accept. That is his definition of a fundamentalist. And he laughs when he says it to me.

One site says: "fundamentalist has traditionally referred to any follower of Christ who believes that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and who believes in its literal interpretation and fundamental teachings." That is a bit wishy-washy, but that's what it says.

Another site says this (changed slightly so that it is legal to place here) --Fundamentalists:
10 - Deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions but are outraged at the denial yours.
9 - Are insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms but have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
8 - Laugh at polytheists but have no problem believing in a Triune God.
7 - Faces turn purple upon hearing of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah but won't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!
6 - Laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek's claims about gods sleeping with women, but have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life, and then ascended into the sky.
5 - Are willing to spend their lives looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years) but find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
4 - Believe that the entire population of this planet (with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects) will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering, yet consider their religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
2 - Define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
1 - Actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Although the latter "definition" is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it is based upon what the author(s) thought to be truth, and there is a huge spread between these two.

Until someone can come up with a stable definition of a fundamentalist in the realm of "christianity," how can we honestly compare the two, assuming we know what a fundamentalist Muslim is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity