Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times

Advertisements

At Vatican II, a 2000 to 200 majority of bishops, — ten to one — redefined the Church as "the people of God". That hit at the heart of papal absolutism. In effect, the Council Fathers said to us: "The Pope is not the Church. Your bishop is not the Church. You are the Church. Believe in your Church. Believe in yourselves."

They were saying the exact opposite of what Pius IX announced during the 1870 debate on papal infallibility at Vatican I. During that debate one of his aides came to him and pointed out that infallibility was "not in the Church's tradition".

Pio Nono said, Traditio sono Io. Io sono la chiesa. No one had ever expressed papal absolutism quite so clearly: "I am tradition. I am the Church."

Catholica Commentary by Robert Blair Kaiser: Catholic Church Reform—No More Thrones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,685 times
This is the way the Eastern Orthodox has operated since the time of Christ.The EO as a whole has rejected pronouncements and decrees made by their bishops and forced them to recant,the idea being that if the WHOLE body of the Church makes a decision,then God has spoken through the Church.This is undoubtedly one of the things (the other being the bishops of all the various EO churches making doctrinal decisions collectively rather than unilaterally by a Pope) that has saved the EO from the mistakes and abuses of the RCC.

Looks like it took the RCC 1900 years to get back to where the EO has always been.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
This is the way the Eastern Orthodox has operated since the time of Christ.The EO as a whole has rejected pronouncements and decrees made by their bishops and forced them to recant,the idea being that if the WHOLE body of the Church makes a decision,then God has spoken through the Church.This is undoubtedly one of the things (the other being the bishops of all the various EO churches making doctrinal decisions collectively rather than unilaterally by a Pope) that has saved the EO from the mistakes and abuses of the RCC.

Looks like it took the RCC 1900 years to get back to where the EO has always been.
Good points. I think some of the major disagreements between Roman Catholics and other "catholic" denominations [Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran] is over the doctrine of papal infallibility. All bishops or at least archbishops are considered equal in these other churches; only the Roman Catholic church insists the Pope is superior and infallible.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Yes these are very good points mentioned by both of you, infallibility is greatest stumbling block to Christian unity. Remove it and the possibilities are endless, but the boys in the ivory towers do not want to give up any of their power.

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Action

Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Yes these are very good points mentioned by both of you, infallibility is greatest stumbling block to Christian unity. Remove it and the possibilities are endless, but the boys in the ivory towers do not want to give up any of their power.

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Action
Remove it and you have protestantism.

Jesus gave total authority solely to Peter. Peter handed some authority to colleagues to run the various districts, but not the FINAL Authority. Jesus gave NO Authority to the other Apostles, nor any other Christian layman. The chair of Peter still resides in Rome. Currently, Pope Benedict XVI sits in that chair. It's as simple as that.

It's NEVER GOING TO CHANGE. Move on, Ted.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Remove it and you have protestantism.

Jesus gave total authority solely to Peter. Peter handed some authority to colleagues to run the various districts, but not the FINAL Authority. Jesus gave NO Authority to the other Apostles, nor any other Christian layman. The chair of Peter still resides in Rome. Currently, Pope Benedict XVI sits in that chair. It's as simple as that.

It's NEVER GOING TO CHANGE. Move on, Ted.
Jesus not only did not give AUTHORITY to anyone . . . he FORBADE it in any form.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus not only did not give AUTHORITY to anyone . . . he FORBADE it in any form.
Eh, no. Juj is correct. He gave the authority to Peter (Matthew 16:18, for one).

Old 08-20-2010, 12:20 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Really? Are you a Bible believing Christian? If so, refer to Matthew 16:13-19:

13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesare'a Philip'pi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?"
14 And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli'jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16 Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.
18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Setting:
Jesus first talking to all of His disciples and then solely to Peter

Glossary:
keys=Authority
bind=forbid
loose=permit

Still think Jesus didn't give anyone authority?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Eh, no. Juj is correct. He gave the authority to Peter (Matthew 16:18, for one).
Jesus Christ has authority over all - not Peter! The RCC misinterpreted that scripture long ago and look at the mess that has become of the RCC! You actually believe that the Pope is closer to God than others? Wow! Can't you see by reading the bible that we are to each go directly to the Father through Christ (not through any sinful man)? I sincerely feel sorry for those born into RCC becasue I know they cannot help what they have been taught.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Jesus Christ has authority over all - not Peter! The RCC misinterpreted that scripture long ago and look at the mess that has become of the RCC! You actually believe that the Pope is closer to God than others? Wow! Can't you see by reading the bible that we are to each go directly to the Father through Christ (not through any sinful man)? I sincerely feel sorry for those born into RCC becasue I know they cannot help what they have been taught.
Jesus Christ has authority over all THROUGH PETER (the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church).

The RCC is not "a mess"--on the contrary, it is the oldest institution on the face of the earth. This shouldn't be a surprise, for after all, Jesus Christ himself did promise that "the gates of hell shall not prevail."

Finally, no, I do not "believe that the Pope is closer to God than others." What I do believe is that the Magisterium cannot err in matters of Faith and Morals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity