Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 PM

2,066 posts, read 2,161,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Thus being said in our Bible, God's word: The Scriptures make it very clear that the holy spirit is a force that God uses to accomplish his will. The Holy Spirit is not God himself.
Doesn't it make sense that if it's coming from God then that it's a part of Him? Think of it as His arm... it is this arm that extends from His Soul and reaches out and connects with our souls and brings God's Love to us. And there's a distinction between God, who is Soul, and God's Spirit and the Holy Spirit... they are all a part of who He is... and one of His attributes is His Divine Love, which is the very essence, or substance of His Soul.

The main thing here is not to focus on semantics, but just know that when we receive God's Divine Love in our souls, brought to us by the Holy Spirit, then we are assured of salvation and immortality and we will become Divine as our Heavenly Father is. And when we receive this Love, we know without a shadow of a doubt that it is coming from the highest possible source... our loving Father. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 02:33 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So then, isn't it kind of redundant to speak of "the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost (or Holy Spirit)"? If God is the Holy Spirit, then there are really just two in the Godhead instead of three?
You are missing the point of the distinctions. The Holy Spirit is God's consciousness . . . but God is more than His consciousness just as we are more than our consciousness. Jesus was the human vessel to bring God's Holy Spirit into a human consciousness form . . . like ours. It only became available to us AFTER Jesus died and was reborn as SPIRIT within the collective human consciousness. The point is that the Holy Spirit is God's consciousness . . . that makes all three "forms" of it (God, Jesus as human, and Jesus as reborn Spirit) . . . ONE! Our task is to be reborn as Spirit as Jesus was. The strength of the physical attachment is very powerful . . . but after rebirth we will have no need of a physical body. We will have a spiritual one as Jesus does.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:56 PM

910 posts, read 1,338,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So then, isn't it kind of redundant to speak of "the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost (or Holy Spirit)"? If God is the Holy Spirit, then there are really just two in the Godhead instead of three?
The Godhead is in unity, they are not separate. its like a goldsmith, taking a chip off a block of gold to make trinkets. The chipped block is gold and the trinket is the same gold. Read John 17 1-end to understand. read also John 1

Old 09-04-2010, 05:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are missing the point of the distinctions. The Holy Spirit is God's consciousness . . . but God is more than His consciousness just as we are more than our consciousness. Jesus was the human vessel to bring God's Holy Spirit into a human consciousness form . . . like ours. It only became available to us AFTER Jesus died and was reborn as SPIRIT within the collective human consciousness. The point is that the Holy Spirit is God's consciousness . . . that makes all three "forms" of it (God, Jesus as human, and Jesus as reborn Spirit) . . . ONE! Our task is to be reborn as Spirit as Jesus was. The strength of the physical attachment is very powerful . . . but after rebirth we will have no need of a physical body. We will have a spiritual one as Jesus does.
The Bible says God is a spirit and he holds everything and everyone together through himself. Why do we need to add ANOTHER spirit on to God (the HOLY one) to make 3 pieces? This is basically what tradition says....

Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
The Bible says God is a spirit and he holds everything and everyone together through himself. Why do we need to add ANOTHER spirit on to God (the HOLY one) to make 3 pieces? This is basically what tradition says....

We don't add anything. God's spirit IS the Holy Spirit . . . but it had to be in a human consciousness (Jesus) and then reborn as Spirit in a human consciousness form as the Holy Spirit . . . to be available to us all in our human consciousnesses. We will be doing the same as Jesus . . . being reborn as Spirit in human consciousness form.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,193,850 times
Quote:
We don't add anything. God's spirit IS the Holy Spirit . . . but it had to be in a human consciousness (Jesus) and then reborn as Spirit in a human consciousness form as the Holy Spirit . . . to be available to us all in our human consciousnesses. We will be doing the same as Jesus . . . being reborn as Spirit in human consciousness form.
That makes sense, I suppose. The trinity doesn't make the least bit of sense, though. I've given up trying to make sense of that confusion.

I believe God's spirit (the holy spirit) rested on Christ so that he could link us back to God. I don't believe Jesus was God. He did seem perfectly connected to him, though, and everything was made through him (christ, our messiah) and he knew his misison was to save this planet. Jesus existed before this planet did. His job was to show us how his father worked in "real life," because the Jews didn't understand God or his ways (Neither does Christainity, for the most part). They twisted his love into something impossible and darkened what he was trying to do with the world. All for a good purpose, in the end.

Futility

Hope I'm not commiting some horrific blasphemy with this post.

Last edited by herefornow; 09-05-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
That makes sense, I suppose. The trinity doesn't make the least bit of sense, though. I've given up trying to make sense of that confusion.

I believe God's spirit (the holy spirit) rested on Christ so that he could link us back to God. I don't believe Jesus was God. He did seem perfectly connected to him, though, and everything was made through him (christ, our messiah) and he knew his misison was to save this planet. Jesus existed before this planet did. His job was to show us how his father worked in "real life," because the Jews didn't understand God or his ways (Neither does Christainity, for the most part). They twisted his love into something impossible and darkened what he was trying to do with the world. All for a good purpose, in the end.

Futility

Hope I'm not commiting some horrific blasphemy with this post.
No you are not. Christ did not start any Church in his lifetime and I agree that the present day church has real issues.

Jesus had the power of the Holy Spirit on earth only after his baptism. The baptism revealed him as the Son of God, while his death and ressurrection revealed him as the Christ of God. After his death and resurrection he now was one with the Holy spirit (John17). That is why he was seen everywhere at the same time, but he still could not send the power to his disciples till he was physically removed from the earth. After his ascension, the power of the Holy Spirit descended on his apostles.

I want folks to understand that there are different powers that can operate in this world to do wonderful works. Jesus sent his disciples to preach and heal with the power of his own spirit, for instance. They - his disciples, were not yet endowed with the power of the Holy Spirit at that time. Angelic powers were used to heal people in the time of Christ.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I'm afraid I don't agree with it, though. Here's what I believe...

I believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. While I believe that God is the Father of the spirits of each and every person who has ever lived, and that we are all His spirit offspring, Jesus Christ is most definitely in a class by Himself. He was with His Father in the beginning. Under His Father's direction, He created worlds without number. He was chosen to be "the Lamb" prior to the foundation of this world. He sits today on the right hand of His Father. Along with the Holy Ghost, the Father and the Son make up the Godhead.

I believe that our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ have a true father-son relationship. The words, "Father" and "Son," in other words, mean exactly what they say. They are not metaphorical or symbolic of a vague metaphysical relationship, in which two beings are some how both part of a single essence. We are each the physical sons and daughters of our mortal parents. Jesus Christ is the literal, physical Son of a divine Father and a mortal Mother. He was conceived in a miraculous way, but like all sons, was in the "express image of His Father's person." That is to say, He looked like Him. Dogs beget puppies, and cats beget kittens. God beget a Son who is the same species as He is. They both have bodies of flesh and bone (although, until His birth in Bethlehem, Jesus Christ was a spirit being only).

The Father and the Son are physically distinct from one another, and yet they are also "one." I understand the word "one" to mean something other than physical substance or essence. I believe they are "one in will and purpose, one in mind and heart, and one in power and glory." It would be impossible to explain, or even to understand, the degree of their unity. It is perfect; it is absolute. They think, feel and act as "one God." Because of this perfect unity, and because they share the title of "God," we think of them together in this way. It would be impossible for us to worship one of them without also worshipping the other.

[SIZE=2]The third member of the Godhead is the Holy Ghost. Unlike the Father and the Son, the Holy Ghost is a person of spirit only. It is by virtue of this quality that He is able to both fill the universe and dwell in our hearts. It is through the Holy Ghost that God communicates to mankind. We come to understand spiritual truths through the witnessing of the Holy Ghost, who communicates with us on a spiritual plane. It is through Him that we come to know the Father and the Son.[/SIZE]

Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM

A good way to understad this is for us as individuals to personalize it. Our esence can be like to the Father, our Spirit to the Holy Sirit and our Word, likened to the Son. Our spirit is our essence and we speak fromthe depth of our spirit, except we choose to be deceitful!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:34 AM

738 posts, read 1,884,196 times
Quote:

The statement that there are three persons in the one God . . . cannot be read anywhere in the New Testament.”

John 1:1- “No man has seen [Almighty] God at any time.” However, humans have seen Jesus, the Son, for John says: “The Word [Jesus] was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory.” (John 1:14)

“These have been written down that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God.” (John 20:31)

“Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Matthew 24:36)

Paul WROTE : "God is only one."—Galatians 3:20

Jesus is not equal to the "One true and only God," who is "supreme over all, and besides whom there is no other."

Jesus said: "Eternal life is this: to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent."

“Stephen, filled with the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at God’s right hand. ‘Look! I can see heaven thrown open,’ he said, ‘and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God.’”—Acts 7:55, 56

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity