Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:30 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June hears the music, but denies the band. (To quote an old friend.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
June: confused.

--Because it strikes June that if one believes in the band, then that implies that they 'hear' the band, as well. Otherwise, how would one possibly be able to hear it, and acknowledge it as such, if they did not believe it existed?

Take gentle music care...
My Dearest Friend,

It seems we've now come to the heart of the matter (again )
As you ask " how would one possibly be able to hear it, and acknowledge it as such, if they did not believe it existed?"

FAITH

Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
The above was one of the things in your post that stood out for June. For one thing, she absolutely agrees with you. The compelling aspect, though, is that time and time again June has read on here how "faith" and belief in God is a "choice." --That's the part she has never been able to understand, as in June's opinion, it's not merely a conscious choice. (Or a reasonable one from the standpoint that one would "reason" their way into making such a choice...)

Take gentle care.
It does not surprise me that you never been able to understand. Because the fact is "faith" and belief in God is a "choice" is called "decision theology" and decision theology is not scriptural.

Decision theology (Synergism) vs Monergism is what seperates Christian churches that teach the main doctrines of Christianity. Which are:
  • The Trinity: Father, Son (Jesus), Holy Spirit all co-equal, all eternal but only one God
  • Salvation: It is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
  • The Person of Jesus Christ: Jesus is 100% God and 100% man for all eternity
  • The physical ressurection of Jesus
  • Jesus' Virgin Birth
  • The Gospel in the Bible: All that was needed for salvation is in the Bible and no other so called "gospels" will be forth coming.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Excerpts from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Monergism describes the position in Christian theology of those who believe that God through the Holy Spirit works to effectually bring about the salvation of individuals through spiritual regeneration without cooperation from the individual.

Decision theology is a label applied by some Lutherans to the practice within Christianity that individuals make a conscious decision to accept Christ.

Synergy, in general, may be defined as two or more agents working together to produce a result not obtainable by any of the agents independently.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

An example of a Monergism Christian Church is Lutheran (WELS, LCMS, ELS)
An example of a Decision theology \ Synergy Christian Church is Baptist

Don't mis-understand that I'm saying that a church that teaches decision theology isn't Christian. Nor the differences between them is not a valid reason to reject the truth and remain an athiest \ agnostic.

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-25-2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: added thought for clarity

Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
My Dearest Friend,

It seems we've now come to the heart of the matter (again )
As you ask " how would one possibly be able to hear it, and acknowledge it as such, if they did not believe it existed?"

FAITH
"Check mate" and....let's dance!

http://www.kenrickparish.com/catholicdistance/summer07/sistine%20chapel.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
"Check mate" and....let's dance!

http://www.kenrickparish.com/catholicdistance/summer07/sistine%20chapel.jpg (broken link)

Ok.

You lead

Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post

Did you even read my post, or did you just see the terms "Roman Catholic Church" and "divine institution" in the same paragraph and, unable to control your impulses, just start typing?

Since you seemed to miss what I said the first time, I will reiterate: I was attempting to answer June's question about why so much discussion of Christianity at this forum seems to be caught up in disputes about ritual, dogma, and doctrine.

The only way June is going to understand why is to understand that Catholics and Protestants approach Biblical interpretation differently. I thought the walk through history would be easier to understand than a dry discussion of sola scriptura.

I don't know what your gripe is, spidey. You seem to have no dispute with the history I gave. The only problems you seem to have are that (1) I am pointing out that Catholics are correct (where do I say that, spider? It's not showing up on my computer screen. Can you cut and paste?) and (2) that I didn't "share the Gospel" with June. I'm sure June can survive without me proselytizing to her on her own thread.

Never mind. Just something you wrote which hit a raw nerve with me, but it was one of those days and it's over, in the past, not an issue. Sorry. I should have strived to keep my post on-topic.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
By all accounts, this has GOT to be one of the more stupid threads that June have ever started (and June doesn't start too many threads.) But it just struck June during a moment of epiphany that she is curious as to just why it is that one would choose to be a Christian. June has been around this forum long enough, and understands the whole "ET/UR" debate well enough, but nonetheless, all debating aside, June is just curious as to what all of you regard as being at the heart of Christianity. In other words, apart from the whole "heaven vs. hell" issue, why Christianity?

June is essentially asking:

What is at the heart of your belief for you? What, in your opinion, would be the greatest reasons as to why a person would be a Christian? What would be lost in the event that you weren't a Christian? What are the benefits to you, personally, as regards your being a Christian and your Christian faith? Most of all, what is the biggest 'arguement' for Christianity, as opposed to any other faith or religious belief?

June's just curious, as she reads many threads that debate various aspects and doctrines of Christianity, but which say far less as to why one is, or would choose to be a Christian.

~Just a "just June" point of curiosity.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond/enlighten June....

Take gentle care.
I've been thinking about this thread ever since you started it and have been trying to think about how to answer it. I've got to admit that for me, the LDS understanding of our relationship with God and His whole purpose in putting us here, is really pretty different from the traditional Christian understanding. One of our uniquely LDS scriptures says, "Adam fell that men might be; men are that they might have joy." We believe that God is literally the Father of our spirits and that we lived in His presence before coming to earth. (We were in spirit form and did not have physical bodies at that time.) He loved us like our mortal fathers do and each one of us had a close personal relationship with Him. We came to earth because we wanted to experience mortality, including all of the trials that would go along with it. We knew that as difficult as it would be at times, there was no other way that we could gain the knowledge and wisdom we all wanted to have. We also wanted to return to His presence someday and be with Him and with our loved ones throughout eternity. To me, my faith is what gives me hope that someday all of that will actually happen. I mean, that's just it in a nutshell. There's a lot more to it than that. But the bottom line is that my faith lifts me up and makes me want to be a better person. When I think of all I have been given, I am just so grateful to my Father in Heaven. I love thinking that He actually created me so that I could have joy!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I love thinking that He actually created me so that I could have joy!
Although a nonbeliever, this nonbeliever found the above quite lovely...

Take gentle care.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've been thinking about this thread ever since you started it and have been trying to think about how to answer it. I've got to admit that for me, the LDS understanding of our relationship with God and His whole purpose in putting us here, is really pretty different from the traditional Christian understanding. One of our uniquely LDS scriptures says, "Adam fell that men might be; men are that they might have joy." We believe that God is literally the Father of our spirits and that we lived in His presence before coming to earth. (We were in spirit form and did not have physical bodies at that time.)
I'm not a LDS, but I believe this part as well. It seems that God must have taught me this from within because I don't know others who believe this or teach it. I think coming here though was not by our own choice, but by his choice so that we could truly KNOW HIM. We get to know him by sharing in the fellowship of his suffering as well as the joy. - Peace, Heartsong

Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Quote:
The above was one of the things in your post that stood out for June. For one thing, she absolutely agrees with you. The compelling aspect, though, is that time and time again June has read on here how "faith" and belief in God is a "choice." --That's the part she has never been able to understand, as in June's opinion, it's not merely a conscious choice. (Or a reasonable one from the standpoint that one would "reason" their way into making such a choice...)

Take gentle care.
I agree. In the same way that you can't choose your parents or your race or your gender or your sexual orientation. God is the one working. Some of us are witnesses to what God is doing within his people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity