Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

all I can add is: I love Amish Butter Cheese. I have yet to see an evangelical come up with any cheese at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I understand that Evangelicals are conservative and their rights should be respected. But why can't Evangelicals be like the Amish and live their conservative lifestyle without pushing their beliefs on mainstream society? The Amish don't pretend their beliefs are upheld by mainstream Christians so why don't Evangelicals do the same?
Amish kids are given a chance to experience the outside world before they become full members, they have the choice of leaving or staying and becoming Amish. If they decide to leave, their families completely disown them.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Evangelicalism is a Protestant Christian theological stream which began in Great Britain in the 1730s. Its key theological beliefs are:
  • A belief in the need for personal conversion (or being "Born again")
  • Actively expressing and sharing the Gospel
  • A high regard for Biblical authority, especially Biblical inerrancy
  • An emphasis on teachings that proclaim the death and resurrection of Jesus
They can't be like 'the Amish' because it's a different religion. Check out point #2. I believe all Christains believe in points 1, 3 , and 4. But point #2, separates them as Evangelical.

Evangelism means "spreading the Gospel".
well said........kind of obvious to some of us.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals will run out on the street and call this caterwauling a beautiful sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Of course because atheists are cowards. They pick on Christians because most are white in this country, and therefore must be intolerant bigoted racists on the inside. But they don't dare interfere with adherents of the Religion of Peace, lest they find themselves with a knife sticking out from their chest with a fatwa note tacked to his body.
Look, I don't necessarily agree with the point of the post to which you were replying, but let's be clear here. The previous post did NOT mention atheists. They were talking about liberals, who can be atheist, Christian. Muslim, Buddhist, or of any religious beliefs. Just like not all atheists are liberals, not all liberals are atheists. Just as not all terrorists are Muslim, so not all Muslims are terrorists. Just as not all Christians are politically conservative, not all conservatives are Christian. And it is this tendency to put everyone else into little boxes to define who they are that has, IMO, totally turned politics in this country into one huge joke. No one has any solutions any more because everyone is too busy fighting against "the other side" or "the other party" to do the critical thinking that is needed to actually find solutions!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:35 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
I understand that Evangelicals are conservative and their rights should be respected. But why can't Evangelicals be like the Amish and live their conservative lifestyle without pushing their beliefs on mainstream society? The Amish don't pretend their beliefs are upheld by mainstream Christians so why don't Evangelicals do the same?
Because (I believe) their behavior does not have anything to do with religion but with other deep-rooted issues such as co-dependancy, addictive thinking, poor self esteem, borderline personality disorders, etc.

A human being who claims to be a Christian (or a Muslim for that matter) but is often angry, miserable and consumed by what other people are doing is clearly avoiding self examination. The thought of examining their own feelings, their past behavior/actions, their family history, etc is simply terrifying. It is much safer to point their finger at other people and run from their inner self.

They think that since "they were born again" and are now "saved" they don't have to work on their personal issues. "Jesus loves me just the way I am". Yeah right, but what if you're a butt hole? I think NOT.

They literally live to meddle, control and manipulate other people's lives. That is a classic sign of co-dependancy. They are miserable and want everyone around them to be miserable also. They'll never be truly happy.

Often, the end result is that they turn out to be some of the most obnoxious people on the face of the earth.

In a perverse way, it is funny sometimes. They claim that Jesus loves them no matter what, but they are incapable of accepting other people in the same way Jesus would.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Because (I believe) their behavior does not have anything to do with religion but with other deep-rooted issues such as co-dependancy, addictive thinking, poor self esteem, borderline personality disorders, etc.

A human being who claims to be a Christian (or a Muslim for that matter) but is often angry, miserable and consumed by what other people are doing is clearly avoiding self examination. The thought of examining their own feelings, their past behavior/actions, their family history, etc is simply terrifying. It is much safer to point their finger at other people and run from their inner self.

They think that since "they were born again" and are now "saved" they don't have to work on their personal issues. "Jesus loves me just the way I am". Yeah right, but what if you're a butt hole? I think NOT.

They literally live to meddle, control and manipulate other people's lives. That is a classic sign of co-dependancy. They are miserable and want everyone around them to be miserable also. They'll never be truly happy.

Often, the end result is that they turn out to be some of the most obnoxious people on the face of the earth.

In a perverse way, it is funny sometimes. They claim that Jesus loves them no matter what, but they are incapable of accepting other people in the same way Jesus would.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:04 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I thought it meant "being annoying."
To those that don't want to hear the Gospel, or have any use for it, I imagine it is.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Actually the real difference is Evangelicals really do care about you , and want to see you in Heaven......Amish they are happy to let you burn in Hell!
Don't assume about the Amish. It could be that they respect others and leave others to decide their own fate.
No thanks about Heaven...the idea of spending eternity with intolerant, bigoted, hate-filled christians is a repulsive thought.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Amish kids are given a chance to experience the outside world before they become full members, they have the choice of leaving or staying and becoming Amish. If they decide to leave, their families completely disown them.
I'm not saying everything the Amish does is right. I am saying that one of the admirable traits of the Amish is they don't try to impose their beliefs on the greater society. They are conservative but they also respect the beliefs of the outside world. Why can't Evangelicals simply do the same? Why can't they respect the beliefs of others? For example, why would they try to stop gay marriage? It has nothing to do with them. It's not going to turn their children gay. It's not going to lower the number of Evangelical worshippers. So why do they try to stick their nose in the business of others?

Old 08-25-2010, 01:11 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
A core tenet of Evangelical Christianity of to spread their brand of the faith to others. In other words IT'S WHO THEY ARE.

I totally agree with you. If they want to live their life a certain way they have every right to do so. I just wish they didn't feel the need to tell everybody else how to live theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity