Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I hate to clue you in, but "mainstream society" is conservative.

Secondly, if you knew anything about Christianity at all, you would understand what the Gospel is about, and that Christ told all who came to Him to go out into the world and preach the "good news" (which is what the gospel means). That is, that Christ came into the world to save those who would accept the gift of His salvation. He died for you, friend, that you might live eternally. But you must accept the gift.

We are not supposed to keep it to ourselves. It is the "great commission". It was God's instruction to us. To keep it to ourselves would be disobedient.

I suppose, though, you don't have a problem with Muslims building their Mosques on top of formerly Christian holy sites, forcing "infidels" to convert or die, and stealthy infiltrating every area of American life, with the intent to make America a Muslim nation?

How strange, and how blind.
Not to hijack the thread, but you reminded me of something...have you noticed that Muslims are the only religion that the Liberals defend? They'll defend the mosque at ground zero, but where are they when the Catholics, or Evangelicals, or Jews are being defamed??? Hmmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I am the OP. The point wasn't that the Amish and Evangelicals practice and believe the exact same dogma. It was simply that both are Christian groups that endorse a conservative lifestyle. If the Amish can remain conservative and respectful of the mainstream, why can't Evangelicals do the same. Both religious groups believe in spreading the Gospel so that really has nothing to do with it. Spreading the gospel is not the same as imposing one's beliefs upon society. Again, there is a difference between spreading and imposing. The former means to share information but allow the final decision to be in the individual's hand. Imposing means to force others to adopt a faith through coercion. When you seek to ban certain laws, that is coercion. Christianity is based on faith not coercion. You defy the very essence of Christianity by using coercion to force certain dogma on society. In other words, you are not being Christian by forcing society to accept your beliefs.

I guess we are looking at the same thing from
opposite sides of the fence. To me, it's called
'Witnessing'. You see it as coercion.

I have had many interesting discussions with
Jehovah's Witnesses.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:57 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
when the oil stops a coming, americans will change their tune

Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but you reminded me of something...have you noticed that Muslims are the only religion that the Liberals defend? They'll defend the mosque at ground zero, but where are they when the Catholics, or Evangelicals, or Jews are being defamed??? Hmmmmm
Again, this thread has nothing to do with Islam. Why don't we discuss the issue at hand. Can you explain why a conservative Christian group like the Amish do not proselytize or push their values on the public but Evangelicals do?

Is it not possible that Evangelicals could emulate the Amish and remain conservative but show respect and tolerance for people of other faiths and ideology. Do Evangelicals assume tolerating something is the same as accepting it?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I guess we are looking at the same thing from
opposite sides of the fence. To me, it's called
'Witnessing'. You see it as coercion.

I have had many interesting discussions with
Jehovah's Witnesses.
I understand the conservative approach. I just think you are misinformed about concepts like witnessing.

Christianity is based on faith. You cannot force one to accept Christ. It defies the very essence of Christianity and everything Jesus Christ taught.

Witnessing and Spreading the Gospel means to spread Christ's message, it does not mean to coerce others to accept Christ's teachings against their will. That would defy everything about Christianity.

People MUST CHOOSE to accept Christ. They must be allowed the opportunity to sin or choose Christ. If one is coerced against their will then they have not truly accepted Christ.

When you are imposing your beliefs on the greater society, you are not bringing people to Christ. You are simply using coercion to achieve policy that agrees with your personal belief but that isn't what Christ taught. If people are having dogma thust upon them without them willingly choosing to follow it, that isn't accepting Christ into their heart, the essence of Christianity. For example, if you pass legislation that prevents gays from marrying, that isn't Christian. The gay couple still wants to get married; they have not acknowledged their action as a sin and accepted Christ just because you technically prevented them from marrying.

It's one thing to ask someone if you can discuss Jesus Christ with them. It's another thing entirely to initiate legislation that prevents them from making a choice to sin or choose Christ.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-25-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
I understand that Evangelicals are conservative and their rights should be respected. But why can't Evangelicals be like the Amish and live their conservative lifestyle without pushing their beliefs on mainstream society? The Amish don't pretend their beliefs are upheld by mainstream Christians so why don't Evangelicals do the same?
The Amish are confident in their beliefs. They don't feel like they have to prove anything to anybody. The don't feel threatened when people disagree with them. I really think it's just about that simple.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
I'm not forced to live by any christian sect's standard here in America, is there some country where this is happening?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I'm not forced to live by any christian sect's standard here in America, is there some country where this is happening?
True, Gays can marry in every state here. Oh they can't! Stem Cell research was occuring for years under Bush...Oh wait, it wasn't

Try again

Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times

Wouldn't it be something if EVERYONE was confident in their belief.

We'd have nothing to debate

Old 08-25-2010, 08:18 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Default Why can't Evangelicals adopt the Amish's attitude?

Quote:
I understand the conservative approach. I just think you are misinformed about concepts like witnessing.

Christianity is based on faith. You cannot force one to accept Christ. It defies the very essence of Christianity and everything Jesus Christ taught.

Witnessing and Spreading the Gospel means to spread Christ's message, it does not mean to coerce others to accept Christ's teachings against their will. That would defy everything about Christianity.

People MUST CHOOSE to accept Christ. They must be allowed the opportunity to sin or choose Christ. If one is coerced against their will then they have not truly accepted Christ.

When you are imposing your beliefs on the greater society, you are not bringing people to Christ. You are simply using coercion to achieve policy that agrees with your personal belief but that isn't what Christ taught. If people are having dogma thust upon them without them willingly choosing to follow it, that isn't accepting Christ into their heart, the essence of Christianity. For example, if you pass legislation that prevents gays from marrying, that isn't Christian. The gay couple still wants to get married; they have not acknowledged their action as a sin and accepted Christ just because you technically prevented them from marrying.

It's one thing to ask someone if you can discuss Jesus Christ with them. It's another thing entirely to initiate legislation that prevents them from making a choice to sin or choose Christ.

You must be trippin'. You ask a question, I answered it. If you don't like my answer, to your question, cool. I have never passed any legislation, tried to coerce anyone, and Dogma is not a part of my vocabulary.

I think you need a nap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity