Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:58 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
As a former agnostic, who is now a Christian, who lives with and is closest to atheists and agnostics, my answer is just pray. Prayer is the answer.
"...The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." James 5:16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post
Question mostly asked to those that "witness" and/or believe in Eternal Torment although anybody can answer.

There are those that no matter how much you "witness", preach to, warn of impending doom, etc. still and continuosly refuse to accept Jesus as saviour. They may be atheist, or of an entirely different religion.

Some of these people may be very vocal about it while others just quietly go about their lives.

When you know that someone is NOT "saved", what do you do? (Pray for them, preach harder to them, let them go about their way, etc.) Do you act differently if they are someone you love as compared to someone you don't like as compared to someone you don't know?

How do you feel when you know in your mind that they will forever remain "lost"?

As I have stated, anybody can answer but I am mostly curious to hear from those that witness and believe in Eternal Torment. Why? Because my feeling is that this "group" is trying to do mankind a favor by warning of what is to come if they don't change their ways.
I do it because I love them. I don't stop praying because I know without a doubt, that Jesus is real! And, He can change the hardest of hearts, that His love and mercies is extended to all! I don't stop because when I look in the mirror and think back on where He brought me from, I know that there's hope for anybody! See, if you had knew me "back then"....you too would have thought my heart was hardened. I knew my mom prayed without ceasing, my dad, friends and family prayed for me!

How can I, after knowing full well from where He brought me, I dare give up? There's hope!! Now, does that mean that I don't get frustrated at times? Saddened? Hurt? Despaired? No, I feel all these things, I'm human, yet I'm here aren't I? I stay because I'm fully CONVINCED, some will come, you understand? Besides, I'm going to try and explain it the best way I could.....deep down inside of my inner being, I couldn't stop if I wanted to, the Spirit got a hold of me you see, and all I want to do is tell the truth, the truth being..."JESUS IS REAL! HE'S ON HIS WAY!! COME, WHILE THERE'S TIME, THERE'S PLENTY OF ROOM"!!

With love, Betsey

Old 08-27-2010, 11:32 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I do it because I love them. I don't stop praying because I know without a doubt, that Jesus is real! And, He can change the hardest of hearts, that His love and mercies is extended to all! I don't stop because when I look in the mirror and think back on where He brought me from, I know that there's hope for anybody! See, if you had knew me "back then"....you too would have thought my heart was hardened. I knew my mom prayed without ceasing, my dad, friends and family prayed for me!

How can I, after knowing full well from where He brought me, I dare give up? There's hope!! Now, does that mean that I don't get frustrated at times? Saddened? Hurt? Despaired? No, I feel all these things, I'm human, yet I'm here aren't I? I stay because I'm fully CONVINCED, some will come, you understand? Besides, I'm going to try and explain it the best way I could.....deep down inside of my inner being, I couldn't stop if I wanted to, the Spirit got a hold of me you see, and all I want to do is tell the truth, the truth being..."JESUS IS REAL! HE'S ON HIS WAY!! COME, WHILE THERE'S TIME, THERE'S PLENTY OF ROOM"!!

With love, Betsey
So you think somehow it's your prayers that fuel these miraculous conversions of us heathens?

Why does your god need you to pray about that? Doesn't he already know we don't believe in him? Does he ignore us heathens unless you intercede on our behalf? Or does he just not notice that we're here until you bring us to his attention? Or do you somehow change his mind about us with your prayers? Or is it just to stroke his ego somehow and let him know that you're worried for our souls?

Because really...it's completely illogical to say your god is all-powerful and all-knowing, and then say that he also requires prayers.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So you think somehow it's your prayers that fuel these miraculous conversions of us heathens?

Why does your god need you to pray about that? Doesn't he already know we don't believe in him? Does he ignore us heathens unless you intercede on our behalf? Or does he just not notice that we're here until you bring us to his attention? Or do you somehow change his mind about us with your prayers? Or is it just to stroke his ego somehow and let him know that you're worried for our souls?

Because really...it's completely illogical to say your god is all-powerful and all-knowing, and then say that he also requires prayers.

Stop making this about me...take Betsey out of the equation. God plus my prayer's, does not equal your salvation! Prayer....that's how we communicate with a Holy God.

See, God is a Spirit, and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth, nothing else would do.The prayer's of the saints, of a righteous man availeth much, it's powerful and effective. The more the merrier.....don't take my word for it, try it yourself, just saying.

Friend, there's coming a time when it will make sense to you, it will. There will be no more denying, rejecting.....fervently praying that it's not too late. How long should He hold back judgment? How long is "long enough" for you? Praying that those who have ears, hear Him.

PS: I'm no different than you....... except, I'm a sinner saved by grace. The invitation from Yours Truly still stands.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 08-28-2010 at 12:38 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Stop making this about me...take Betsey out of the equation. God plus my prayer's, does not equal your salvation! Prayer....that's how we communicate with a Holy God.

See, God is a Spirit, and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth, nothing else would do.The prayer's of the saints, of a righteous man availeth much, it's powerful and effective. The more the merrier.....don't take my word for it, try it yourself, just saying.

Friend, there's coming a time when it will make sense to you, it will. There will be no more denying, rejecting.....fervently praying that it's not too late. How long should He hold back judgment? How long is "long enough" for you? Praying that those who have ears, hear Him.

PS: I'm no different than you....... except, I'm a sinner saved by grace. The invitation from Yours Truly still stands.
See, now you're contradicting yourself.

Previously you pretty much stated that people like me need your prayers in the hopes that we'll convert to believing in your jesus. Now you're saying it's just you communicating with your god. Which one is it? Are you praying for me to be saved or not? Do you think your prayers about we "unsaved" folk are making a difference? If so, what does that say about your god requiring prayers from you before doing something about us unbelievers? And if not, then why even bring us up when you pray? Assuming he was real (which I don't believe for one moment) If your god is so omniscient, he already knows I don't believe in him and he doesn't need you to tell him.

Right now, you're full of contradictions.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
See, now you're contradicting yourself.

Previously you pretty much stated that people like me need your prayers in the hopes that we'll convert to believing in your jesus. Now you're saying it's just you communicating with your god. Which one is it? Are you praying for me to be saved or not? Do you think your prayers about we "unsaved" folk are making a difference? If so, what does that say about your god requiring prayers from you before doing something about us unbelievers? And if not, then why even bring us up when you pray? Assuming he was real (which I don't believe for one moment) If your god is so omniscient, he already knows I don't believe in him and he doesn't need you to tell him.

Right now, you're full of contradictions.
No. You're hearing what you want hear. Believing....that's what it all boils down to, something you said "you don't believe for one minute". I beg to differ, you're here for a reason..... would you like me to pray for you?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:31 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Why does something need be done though? Why can' you guys love Christ and be happy loving Christ without feeling the need to push your viewpoints on others. Just relax or something....

Old 08-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
No. You're hearing what you want hear. Believing....that's what it all boils down to, something you said "you don't believe for one minute". I beg to differ, you're here for a reason..... would you like me to pray for you?
LOL! You keep contradicting yourself left and right. The only thing I want christians to do is stop trying to push your dogma on everyone else. Keep it to yourself, if someone wants to learn about it they'll ask.

And to reiterate: I don't believe in your gods, any of them. I don't believe in demons or satan or the supernatural or prayer or angels or that your jesus was a god. None of it, and I'll never change my mind, not even when faced with death. How do I know this? Because I've been on the edge of death before and it didn't change my mind.

Praying for unbelievers is useless, and trying to convert us only annoys us. If you want to push people away, that's the way to do it. You'd do far better by simply living lives as decent people who don't try to proselytize to the rest of us. But you go ahead and pray all you want; you're only talking to yourself.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
LOL! You keep contradicting yourself left and right. The only thing I want christians to do is stop trying to push your dogma on everyone else. Keep it to yourself, if someone wants to learn about it they'll ask.

And to reiterate: I don't believe in your gods, any of them. I don't believe in demons or satan or the supernatural or prayer or angels or that your jesus was a god. None of it, and I'll never change my mind, not even when faced with death. How do I know this? Because I've been on the edge of death before and it didn't change my mind.

Praying for unbelievers is useless, and trying to convert us only annoys us. If you want to push people away, that's the way to do it. You'd do far better by simply living lives as decent people who don't try to proselytize to the rest of us. But you go ahead and pray all you want; you're only talking to yourself.

And you came all the way here.....to tell me that? OK. When you're ready.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
It's hard to complain about something a person
does not understand, but why do it ?

If reading what Christians have to say is an aggravation
and torment why read it ?

For people who do not Repent of there Sin, and Believe in Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, this same torment, and much, much more, will being in Hell if they die Lost. Then the there aggravation and torment will be much, much more, in The Lake Of Fire ( Eternally )
after the Final Judgement.

Jms:2:19: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Mt:8:28: And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.
29: And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

A person without the Fear of The Lord
will have no wisdom or knowledge of Him.

Ps:111:10: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Prov:1:7: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Prov:15:32: He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.
33: The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

If people do not head the Call of The Lord,
He will laugh, and mock and not answer when
they call upon him at the end of there life on earth.

Prov:1:24: Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
25: But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
26: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
27: When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
28: Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
29: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
30: They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
31: Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
32: For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
33: But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Heb:10:31:

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity