Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 09:04 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times

Advertisements

Well it is good that some of the bishops are starting to find courage to speak up.

Some bishops questioning clerical culture | National Catholic Reporter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Well it is good that some of the bishops are starting to find courage to speak up.

Some bishops questioning clerical culture | National Catholic Reporter

I pains me to say this;

I have been involved in the attempted rehabilitation of sexual predators.
I discovered very quickly, that until the predator is able to empathize with the victim, to truely understand the nature and affect of the abuse, the predator had very little chance of recovery.

I have found, as does this article, a lack of empathy for the victims of priestly abuse as well. Too often the potential for healing is diluted with discussions that involve excuses, scapegoats and money.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:17 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times
Ted,

I sympathize with your dilemma. I am not Catholic. But I had to question just about everything the churches outside of Catholicism taught me in order to be lead by God into the freedom bought for us by Jesus Christ. I have heard a saying that kind of sums up 'freedom' for me -- if you have something GOOD, you do not have to restrain people to keep them "in the fold" because the LIGHT draws people toward it. Follow the light. Flee from darkness -- that's one of my life principles.

Peace -
Heartsong

p.s. Don't become bitter with those who are caught up in the religious system or even with those in power in the religious system. They cannot help what they do. Human bondage is bondage to sin in all its multi-complex forms. Whatever we have, we have received from God, so that we cannot boast in ourselves.

And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 1Corinthians 1:28

Who says that you are any better than other people? What do you have that wasn't given to you? If you were given what you have, why are you bragging as if it weren't a gift? 1Corinthians 4:7

Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,157 times
Let's see...the Reformation came and went 500 years ago and the Roman Catholics are still selling indulgences, there's still a hot market in relics, and you can still pay to have masses for praying your relatives out of suffering. Other mediators than Jesus are, if anything, more popular than ever. Thousands of young people taken advantage of sexually and a handfull of clergy that are passionate about some possible minor changes really haven't even rocked the boat.

Much of the Protestant bureacrazy function with streamlined masses (3 songs and a sermon) and their priest/pastor performs on stage for enabling audiences. Not much real difference for those who are supposed to have the Holy Spirit. Any function of ours has been replaced by elite payed professionals who recieve titles of honor from one another. Rather than every member exercising their expression of Christ and the rest critiquing, we are reduced to being private critics of those clergy with titles of honor from one another who get to sit on giant thrones elevated above us. I don't care how knowledgeable or gifted the man on stage is, he's not the body of Christ; and, JESUS WANT'S HIS BODY BACK!!!

Don't try to change it. See if you have enough relationship with anybody to bring them with you into your home. At least you can put one foot in front of the other in order to GET OUT. Pray for God to lead you to a home gathering (if not now at your home) where you can read and study Scripture together, sharing one another's burdens while not allowing anyone to take over the meeting. MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity