Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
People like me that are looking out for your ungrateful stubborn behind.
People like you won't listen to us when we say we're not interested in the message you're trying to deliver.

Honestly, you're all the same: you accuse us of 'turning away' from GOd and his message, and refuse to face up to the real reason we left.

I'll fill in the blank for you -- you treat us like children.You call us sinful and evil. You refuse to accept any viewpoints but your own.

And yet, you seem to think that by confronting us, calling us 'ungrateful' and 'stubborn', and choking us with Bible verses, we'll somehow 'come back to the fold'.

You said that we have to 'want' a relationship with Christ. Well, has it ever occurred to you that we don't? Not because we somehow 'hate' you or Christianity, but because we simply don't. It's not the right path for us, just as Wicca, or Buddhism, or Judaism isn't the right path for you.

You want to win us back? Fine. Wonderful, glad to hear it.

Guess what?

We're watching you, and your fellows, for an example of Christianity, and I'll tell ya, we're not very impressed.

You refuse to learn anything about our faith, your voice seems to be stuck on a rotating selection of Bible verses, and all you ever do is shout at us and call us names.

If that's an example of Christian love and tolerance, I don't want anything to do with it. I left Christianity behind for a reason, and there's mounting evidence to indicate that I made the right choice.

Argh. I need to cool off. 'Scuze me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 AM

454 posts, read 498,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
People like you are why people like me rejected Christianity. You and Roman are full of hate.
John 12:48
[48] He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

See, no hate, just the truth.

Deal with it.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 AM

651 posts, read 1,416,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
John 12:48
[48] He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

See, no hate, just the truth.

Deal with it.

I'm calling poe.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by myself (Tricky D)
Quote:
Or are you suggesting that Jesus is wrong?
Ah, I see we skip the tough/inconvenient questions.

Or is it that you, Roman6, simply don't deal with them?

Last edited by Tricky D; 08-30-2010 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Roman6: Your smugness and Bible quoting aren't helping your case. You are hiding behind an ancient book of mythology. "I believe it, and that settles it", right? Not for me, it doesn't.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Hey, let's cut the young man some slack.

Most of us are adults here...even some elderly... and Allen is a teenager.

I don't see him as hateful...and don't believe that he is.

I actually admire his convictions. I may not subscribe to the same thing, but I do subscribe to holding true to what you believe in.

His basic interpretation of the Bible is pretty standard: RULES--JUDGMENT--PUNISHMENT or REWARD. MOF, I don't know how someone could read any modern translation, and not get that message. THAT'S the Book that is distributed by denominational Christian organizations. He belongs to one of those organizations...so, of course that is what he has to go by. So, what other conclusions could he have come to, than those he proclaims here? After all...that IS what the Book says.

Now, what we have here is what appears to me to be an intelligent, contemplative for his age, firmly seated in doctrine, proud and outspoken young man. Not some kid that's full of hate. Most young guys his age are on a quest for recreational sex and partytime...not debating theology and condemning immorality. If he was hateful, he'd be joining a gang...not logging into this forum.

I make a motion to not hold his zeal against him....and to show him some love, care, and concern...and help him to grow and learn. Something tells me that in time he will see the corruption and pollution that Book has suffered at the hands of selfish, evil men with an agenda to gain power and money...and his view will be tempered and modified. He won't lose his embrace of Christs core message of "Love each other"...but he will gain the discernment to see the doctrine of the judgmental, eternally punishing God...is the most egregious taint the Bible has had levied upon it.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

Now, what we have here is what appears to me to be an intelligent, contemplative for his age, firmly seated in doctrine, proud and outspoken young man. Not some kid that's full of hate. Most young guys his age are on a quest for recreational sex and partytime...not debating theology and condemning immorality. If he was hateful, he'd be joining a gang...not logging into this forum.
But he is not contemplative. There was a perfect opportunity to discuss natural disasters, how they happen, when, all the disasters where nobody was hurt, the disasters where religious people were hurt, etc.

He doesn't care.

As for recreational sex and partytime? I see nothing wrong with either. I do see a danger with divisive proselytizing that brands people as deserving of eternal punishment. It inevitably dehumanizes them.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Jazzy before you respond to my other post later today or whenever you get on, I just want to say I got ahead of myself and I didn't respond in such a good manner. I responded in quick anger. I was extremely upset. Nobody has ever said that to me before so I was shocked and offended you would say something like that when I'm trying to do the complete opposite. So I apologize for coming off to you rudely and antagonizing if I did. I'm so at a loss right now, it's incredible. You can still respond to it but just know that I said it in the heat of the moment.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:04 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
But he is not contemplative. There was a perfect opportunity to discuss natural disasters, how they happen, when, all the disasters where nobody was hurt, the disasters where religious people were hurt, etc.

He doesn't care.

As for recreational sex and partytime? I see nothing wrong with either. I do see a danger with divisive proselytizing that brands people as deserving of eternal punishment. It inevitably dehumanizes them.
Actually I do care. That's why I discuss them. I was under the impression that the ancient civilizations I listed and their rise and downfall was common WH knowledge. I didn't feel the need to actually write every single one's history and how they came to be and how their grand demise. I assumed you knew. But I guess I assumed wrong. Which was my fault. Recreational sex and partying at the tender age of 17? Not my idea of an adolescence. I feel like society had put that new pressure on this generation because of increasing unrighteousness during the 21st century. Because these things were not the pressures of the 1940s or 50s. Back then, I imagine most teens preoccupied with how they will be getting a passing grade on the mid-term or how are they going to ask Jen to homecoming or something of that sort. Nowadays guys my age are contemplating when their next hook up and weed party is. I have more important things to do like focusing on my college career and goals in life. Trying to be one step above the rest and NOT a teen statistic. It's not an easy job. And what's more surprising is that I'm not a social outcast. I'm not a prude either. I'm not a geek, I'm not a game freak, stoner, emo, jock, ladies man, or a computer nerd. I'm just your average young Christian guy who has taken a grand look at the world around him and realized just how far this nation, society, and the world has fallen from God. And I realized I don't want to be apart of that.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times
I can completely empathize with Allenk893, because I used to frequent the fundamentalist crowd, and I can say this: that as long as I believed that my neighbors were going to hell, and that God hated them, I couldn't walk in Love. It was impossible.
I could tell people that I loved them, but in my heart I despised them because my doctrine was telling me that they were sinners bound for a devil's hell.
And it was impossible for me to love them.

Blessings to all, especially Allen, whom I understand better than he knows..
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity