Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
juj juj started this thread

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times

Advertisements

I created this thread so that some of you who are so viciously, knee-jerk anti-Catholic, that you would NEVER, EVER become Catholic because of what you were taught about Catholicism from whatever source. Here's is an audio link to my favorite episode of a show called "The Journey Home". The guest on this particular episode is David Anders, a former Evangelical Presbyterian, who discusses his spiritual journey and how he, too, would NEVER become Catholic and that the greatest thing he could do is get folks to separate themselves from the false teachings of the Catholic Church. He believed that the Catholic Church was the Church of Satan. His goal was to justify the Reformation and that the Catholic Church was in error.

I know many of you will never listen to this because you're heart is made up and is completely closed, or many of you don't have the time to listen to it, or maybe this audio just doesn't seem like it would be interesting. If you are interested at all in seeking Christ and His truth and wherever that may lead you, then please take an hour out of your life and get into a comfortable chair and listen to this:

The Journey Home 02-08-2010

I thought this to so important to be it's own thread. I understand that there is a similar thread, but I don't want this link buried.

Last edited by juj; 08-30-2010 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
It's getting late where I am at, but I intend on listening to this tomorrow and giving an opinion on it then. Sounds like a good thread though.....

Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 AM

95 posts, read 162,408 times
I'm not Catholic but had anti-Catholic attitudes for many years as a Baptist. It was only when I joined the Lutheran church that I actually studied what it meant to be a "catholic" and now feel closer to the Roman Catholic church than many Protestant faiths.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Poet Richard Crashaw had a fairly anti-Catholic father. Joseph Pearce had a racist, and I thought somewhat anti-Catholic, background.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Poet Richard Crashaw had a fairly anti-Catholic father. Joseph Pearce had a racist, and I thought somewhat anti-Catholic, background.
Good examples. Joseph Pearce has been discussed before a little bit here in this forum. Here is his conversion story on Youtube:

YouTube - Joseph Pearce's Conversion, clip 1

YouTube - Joseph Pearce's Conversion, clip 2

Grace Gifford converted to Catholicism and married Irish patriot Joseph Mary Plunkett in the chapel of Kilmainham Gaol the night before his exeuction by the English for his role in the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin. She was the child of a mixed marriage and had been raised Protestant; apparently her Protestant mother was a social climber who disapproved of both her conversion to the Catholic faith and her marriage to the young idealist, himself a devout Roman Catholic:

Grace Gifford Plunkett

Although he did not convert, the great Irish patriot Wolfe Tone, a fearless man of conscience and founder of the United Irishmen (1791), had this to say about his Catholic brothers and sisters-in-arms during his own speech from the dock in 1798:

Quote:
I have laboured to abolish the infernal spirit of religious persecution by uniting the Catholics and Dissenters," he declared from the dock. "To the former, I owe more than ever can be repaid. The service I was so fortunate as to render them they rewarded munificently but they did more: when the public cry was raised against me, when the friends of my youth swarmed off and left me alone, the Catholics did not desert me. They had the virtue even to sacrifice their own interests to a rigid principle of honour. They refused, though strongly urged, to disgrace a man who, whatever his conduct towards the Government might have been, had faithfully and conscientiously discharged his duty towards them and in so doing, though it was in my own case, I will say they showed an instance of public virtue of which I know not whether there exists another example
Theobald Wolfe Tone

Last edited by DreamingSpires; 08-31-2010 at 02:01 AM..

Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I created this thread so that some of you who are so viciously, knee-jerk anti-Catholic, that you would NEVER, EVER become Catholic because of what you were taught about Catholicism from whatever source. Here's is an audio link to my favorite episode of a show called "The Journey Home". The guest on this particular episode is David Anders, a former Evangelical Presbyterian, who discusses his spiritual journey and how he, too, would NEVER become Catholic and that the greatest thing he could do is get folks to separate themselves from the false teachings of the Catholic Church. He believed that the Catholic Church was the Church of Satan. His goal was to justify the Reformation and that the Catholic Church was in error.

I know many of you will never listen to this because you're heart is made up and is completely closed, or many of you don't have the time to listen to it, or maybe this audio just doesn't seem like it would be interesting. If you are interested at all in seeking Christ and His truth and wherever that may lead you, then please take an hour out of your life and get into a comfortable chair and listen to this:

The Journey Home 02-08-2010

I thought this to so important to be it's own thread. I understand that there is a similar thread, but I don't want this link buried.
Thank you Juj for such an important thread. As Catholics we have no greater resource on earth than that of the memories of those who went before us, the Church Triumphant, both known and unknown.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:02 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Check out the conversion of Dave Armstrong.

My Catholic Road to Jesus

"In January 1990 I began an ecumenical discussion group which I moderated. Three knowledgeable Catholic friends from the Rescue movement, John McAlpine, Leno Poli, and Don McSween, started attending. Their claims for the Church, particularly papal and conciliar infallibility, challenged me to plunge into a massive research project on that subject. I believed I had found many errors and contradictions throughout history. Later I realized, though, that my many "examples" didn't even fall into the category of infallible pronouncements, as defined by the Vatican Council of 1870. I was also a bit dishonest because I would knowingly overlook strong historical facts which confirmed the Catholic position, such as the widespread early acceptance of the Real Presence, the authority of the Bishop, and the communion of the saints. "

Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 PM

621 posts, read 1,209,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post

I know many of you will never listen to this because you're heart is made up and is completely closed, or many of you don't have the time to listen to it, or maybe this audio just doesn't seem like it would be interesting. If you are interested at all in seeking Christ and His truth and **wherever that may lead you, then please take an hour out of your life and get into a comfortable chair and listen to this:
**Your words. So if I may ask, what if, in seeking His truth, I am led somewhere other than the Catholic Church?

And for what it's worth, I've watched The Journey Home on a number of occasions. So no, my heart isn't completely closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity