Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 PM

32,930 posts, read 26,160,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yep.

I am glad that in real life most people are into the Gospel. Not the odd ball fringe stuff we see here.

The truth of the Word is simple and to the point. May God be praise and thanks that we can right with God in an easy way.
I don't know. I sometimes think that this forum is to some extent a microcosm of what those who profess to be Christian in this country think as a whole. According to a Barna survey

Excerpt:
Quote:
Among individuals who describe themselves as Christian, for instance, close to half believe that Satan does not exist, one-third contend that Jesus sinned while He was on earth, two-fifths say they do not have a responsibility to share the Christian faith with others, and one-quarter dismiss the idea that the Bible is accurate in all of the principles it teaches.
The Barna Group - Christianity Is No Longer Americans

Of course, one might question the accuracy of the Barna survey, but...

You're right that the truth of the Word is simple and to the point. But there are many who just won't believe those things in the Bible which they don't like.

And you're also right that this forum is a clearinghouse for oddball beliefs and teachings.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-31-2010 at 10:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, that is the one. Thanks for taking time to pull it up Ans57. You're spirit of helping is appreciated. :-)
I hope it does not annoy you. The more I know you...the more I like your Spirit...compassionate and patient (until provoked).

I know its off topic...sorry

Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 PM

5,965 posts, read 6,980,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I hope it does not annoy you. The more I know you...the more I like your Spirit...compassionate and patient (until provoked).

I know its off topic...sorry
No, it didn't annoy me at all. I wish I had a longer fuse!
It IS much longer than it was years ago though! Every time I think I'll never get angry again - ka-boom!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,025,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
No, it didn't annoy me at all. I wish I had a longer fuse!
It IS much longer than it was years ago though! Every time I think I'll never get angry again - ka-boom!

That old fuse. I constantly work to lengthen my fuse. I have a saying on my computer "calm is power".

Old 09-01-2010, 03:45 PM

9,670 posts, read 9,938,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
About the basic teachings of Christ as stated in the NT?

Seems most folk here like to dwell on fringe theology. IMO this place is a clearinghouse for oddball teachings.

Seems that the blood of Jesus doesn't cut it for a lot of people.

So much for Ephesians 2:8-10
Most of what your are saying of is truth and not to be debated because all dogma is fact and when people debate dogma than they are not all of the same spirit and mind

Old 09-01-2010, 04:10 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
That old fuse. I constantly work to lengthen my fuse. I have a saying on my computer "calm is power".
So true Jazzymom...if only I can hang on to it and not let go...

Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,025,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
So true Jazzymom...if only I can hang on to it and not let go...

True!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,421,241 times
I agree with most of the basic tenants of Christianity. In fact, the only thing that doesn't make me an actual Christian is that I don't just believe that Jesus was divine, I believe we all are. I believe we are all made up of the same "stuff" that makes up God, that is, the Universe, that which is beyond space and time, which just is, our "isness" so to speak. I believe in many of Jesus' teachings. It's the fringe theology and the oddball verses, and the fact that many Christians tend to get caught up in those verses, that turn me off from Christianity. Otherwise I could quite comfortably attend church and feel like I belong.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,085,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I agree with most of the basic tenants of Christianity. In fact, the only thing that doesn't make me an actual Christian is that I don't just believe that Jesus was divine, I believe we all are. I believe we are all made up of the same "stuff" that makes up God, that is, the Universe, that which is beyond space and time, which just is, our "isness" so to speak. I believe in many of Jesus' teachings. It's the fringe theology and the oddball verses, and the fact that many Christians tend to get caught up in those verses, that turn me off from Christianity. Otherwise I could quite comfortably attend church and feel like I belong.
That is somewhat similar to how I feel. Oh - except I don't know that I really believe in God... And the God that I picture is not at all what is written in the Bible... But I agree with everything that you said.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,593,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
But you just said:

How many ducks are there?

Look - I know thinking outside the box is a bit much for orthodox Christianity.
LOL - I totally missed 5150's point there. I am so used to being on the defensive for my universalism.

He is actually talking against the legalistic "Have all your ducks in a row" theology.

So... yes. It's a crazy theology (to me) as well. BUT - we UR's seem to trust TOO MUCH is total justification of mankind through Jesus' sacrifice (in the opinion of most Christians) so obviously the thread wasn't against the URs at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity