Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I feel the same about those who believe in extra-terrestrials. It must remain in the science fiction category (at least in my 'book') Hawking 'believes' it is likely that there are aliens, and not only that, but also fears they may be a danger to earth and humans. That does not sound at all scientific to me. I'd call it faith.
I think from Hawking's perspective, his belief in aliens is a theory based on scientific evidence showing a great number of earth-like planets. To take that data and say yes, there are aliens, definitely, is a leap of faith, but to simply say it seems likely there are aliens seems rational. I don't know what Hawking said about aliens. I think as our scientific knowledge expands, we will reach a point where the line between supernatural and scientific reasonability begins to blur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I think from Hawking's perspective, his belief in aliens is a theory based on scientific evidence showing a great number of earth-like planets. To take that data and say yes, there are aliens, definitely, is a leap of faith, but to simply say it seems likely there are aliens seems rational. I don't know what Hawking said about aliens. I think as our scientific knowledge expands, we will reach a point where the line between supernatural and scientific reasonability begins to blur.
So your are implying that if someone says that, based on the evidence, it seems likely that there is a god, that would be rational as well? If not, what's the difference?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So your are implying that if someone says that, based on the evidence, it seems likely that there is a god, that would be rational as well? If not, what's the difference?
Yes, that would be rational as well.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM

738 posts, read 1,884,196 times
What is made requires a maker.

The more complex the thing is made, the most capable the maker must be.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM

In his book, Evolution: A Theory in Crisis,: Michael Denton a molecular biologist, states: "Even the simplest of all living systems on earth today, bacterial cells, are exceedingly complex objects. Although the tiniest bacterial cells are incredibly small, . . . each is in effect a veritable microminiaturized factory containing thousands of exquisitely designed pieces of intricate molecular machinery . . . far more complicated than any machine built by man and absolutely without parallel in the non-living world."

Regarding genetic code in each small cell, he states: "The capacity of DNA to store information vastly exceeds that of any other known system; it is so efficient that all the information needed to specify an organism as complex as man weighs less than a few thousand millionths of a gram. . . . Alongside the level of ingenuity and complexity exhibited by the molecular machinery of life, even our most advanced [products] appear clumsy. We feel humbled."

M. Denton also adds: "The complexity of the simplest known type of cell is so great that it is impossible to accept that such an object could have been thrown together suddenly by some kind of freakish, vastly improbable, event." It had to have a designer and maker.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 AM

"The perversity of you men! Should the potter himself be accounted just like the clay? For should the thing made say respecting its maker: 'He did not make me'? And does the very thing formed actually say respecting its former: 'He showed no understanding'?"—Isaiah 29:16.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
What is made requires a maker.

The more complex the thing is made, the most capable the maker must be.
These pithy responses to complex questions aren't really helpful unless you subscribe to the underlying doctrine.

An enormous body of scientific evidence has been compiled since the watchmaker argument* was made over two hundred years ago. Even if all of that science is rejected outright, you still would be faced with having a designer of whom the rules of the universe do not apply and the question of why such a thing exists.

*watchmaker argument is -- if one finds a watch, it is so complex that one knows it has a creator.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
These pithy responses to complex questions aren't really helpful unless you subscribe to the underlying doctrine.

An enormous body of scientific evidence has been compiled since the watchmaker argument* was made over two hundred years ago. Even if all of that science is rejected outright, you still would be faced with having a designer of whom the rules of the universe do not apply and the question of why such a thing exists.

*watchmaker argument is -- if one finds a watch, it is so complex that one knows it has a creator.

A complex artifact needs to be designed

Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,234 times
Scripture is man-made. That aside, ancient (beginning of life) cells did not have nuclei, did not contain DNA, were not complex, were not at that time capable of evolving into aything more than single cell. That all took time, chance, failures, and adaptation. So, of course today's bacteria is a dynamo, fabulous and intriguing and such. But....over billions of years that is what one would expect. Evolution does this sort of thing.

Humans evolved from bacteria. Two thousand year old book written by man vs. 4 billion years of stuff undergoing change and advancement. The creator of life was the exciting laboratory we call Planet Earth.

I don't expect you to subscribe to any of this, I bet you won't. But, like many others who toss around scripture as fact, it would behoove your arguments to brush up on the basic TENETS of evolution, so you sound informed. Evolution is factual and it is all there to look up and learn. And it's evolving every day, unlike religion, which is so arrogant that it can't be "evolved".

Old 09-03-2010, 12:19 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
It's not really even scientifically plausible for gravity to have an effect on nothing since it takes the existance of matter for gravity to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity