Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
If that were true and all Roman Catholics places their trust outside of "sola fide and sola scriptura" .. then yes. (Even if there was 18 million of them)
So let me see if I understand you correctly. Since I believe that we can probably agree (imagine that!) that Roman Catholics do believe in the necessity of both faith and works, and base many of their doctrines upon holy tradition (in addition to scripture, of course), are you saying that Catholics do not hold to "core Christian beliefs"??

Quote:
Jesus also said:
  • Sola gratia ("by grace alone")
  • Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone")
  • Anything other than sola fide ...God's wrath remains
  • Few are saved, many will not be able to.
Jesus said anything you want to attribute to Him if you look hard enough for it and disregard the things He said that you don't agree with.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Instead of keeping a hard heart about it...why not do something about it..."drive a Ford or Chevy"
Are you kidding? Why would I want to settle for a Ford or a Chevy when I can drive something so much better?

Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are you kidding? Why would I want to settle for a Ford or a Chevy when I can drive something so much better?
I'm a Toyota Camry girl - through and through!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm a Toyota Camry girl - through and through!
What color? My current one's maroon.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
What color? My current one's maroon.
It's called Aloe Green! Kind of a light silvery greenish blue.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It's called Aloe Green! Kind of a light silvery greenish blue.
Mmmm! Pretty!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,485,555 times
Quote:
So let me see if I understand you correctly. Since I believe that we can probably agree (imagine that!) that Roman Catholics do believe in the necessity of both faith and works, and base many of their doctrines upon holy tradition (in addition to scripture, of course), are you saying that Catholics do not hold to "core Christian beliefs"??
Based on as how you phrased it here, yes.
The key words are "the necessity of both and holy tradition"

Quote:
Jesus said anything you want to attribute to Him if you look hard enough for it and disregard the things He said that you don't agree with.
Which explains why we are at odds Moderator cut: deleted

Jesus taught: "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
Jesus revealed to Paul: "The righteous will live by faith."
Paul wrote: "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law."
Jesus revealed to Peter: "you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

Quote:
No, I'm as serious as can be, there is nothing better.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-07-2010 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Jesus taught: "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
Jesus revealed to Paul: "The righteous will live by faith."
Paul wrote: "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law."
Jesus revealed to Peter: "you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls."
As I said, you can prove anything you want by selecting only those verses which support your position. I'm not interested in playing the game.

Quote:
No, I'm as serious as can be, there is nothing better.
You are so wrong. There is so much more. But as long as you are convinced there isn't, you're not going to find it.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-05-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,380,737 times
What I don't get is people telling other they are not Christians if they do not agree with so called core beliefs. These core beliefs all came about because someone did not like what others believed so they put together what they believed and said if one does not believe like we do then one is not a Christian.

But since when did Christian mean followers of core belief?

Christian simply means followers of Christ.

So it is not the so called core beliefs that make one a Christian it is whether one follows Christ that makes one a Christian.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
What I don't get is people telling other they are not Christians if they do not agree with so called core beliefs. These core beliefs all came about because someone did not like what others believed so they put together what they believed and said if one does not believe like we do then one is not a Christian.

But since when did Christian mean followers of core belief?

Christian simply means followers of Christ.

So it is not the so called core beliefs that make one a Christian it is whether one follows Christ that makes one a Christian.
That is the impression I was always under. But then again - I'm not a Christian. But whenever someone tells me they are - that's all I assume - that they are followers of Christ. I don't know the names for more than a few denominations - much less what they all believe. I could actually care less. All that I care about is what kind of a person someone is - kind, caring, loving, and most importantly - what kind of sense of humor do they have!!! I don't care if they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu or alien.
But all these core beliefs or basic teachings - I think it's just all bologne. Christian just means that you are a follower of Jesus. And I don't think anyone has the right of saying that someone is a true Christian or not a true Christian. We should all have the right at least to believe in our own beliefs!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.