Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:16 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I don't understand your point. If you are saying Romans 8:20 is not referring to creation (ie. including all humans), I don't see it...

Are you saying Romans 8:20 is only referring to "nature"?
Or are you saying Romans 8:20 is only referring to some subset of humans, because 2 Cor 5:17 uses the word "creature" (ie. those who are a "new" creation")?

KJV says:
Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, 21Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Clearly it is humans who have been subjected to VANITY. All humans are vain. And likewise, it is these same humans who will be delivered from this bondage and corruption. That's what it says.
It is referring to the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
What happened to Timmy?

Timmy had an accident of his own the night before and was on pain killers and slept his way through the phone call that would have alerted him to her plight. Suzy would call ONLY Timmy in an emergency (God knew this, too), as she had a severe phobia of all human beings because of severe mental and spiritual confusion (upbringing was foul and full of madness~~~but that was the way God willed it or it couldn't have happened). 911 was never called.

"Now, she is going to endlessly suffer and will NEVER know agape love." "As if this hellhole wasn't enough." "Why would God do this," Timmy asked?

Shrug.

(there are more stories like this than there are of the miraculous, in the real world)

Last edited by herefornow; 09-07-2010 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,363,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Timmy had an accident of his own the night before and was on pain killers and slept his way through the phone call that would have alerted him to her plight. Suzy would call ONLY Timmy in an emergency (God knew this, too), as she had a severe phobia of all human beings because of severe mental and spiritual confusion (upbringing was foul and full of madness~~~but that was the way God willed it or it couldn't have happened). 911 was never called.

"Now, she is going to endlessly suffer and will NEVER know agape love." "As if this hellhole wasn't enough." "Why would God do this," Timmy asked?

Shrug.

(there are more stories like this than there are of the miraculous, in the real world)
Dang, thats harsh stuff.

If God is all knowing like everyone claims, what is the purpose to an existenace of nothing but suffering?

I guess God is either mean spirited, doesn't care or is powerless to stop endless suffering. I can't think of any other reason.

Last edited by Zero 7; 09-07-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Dang, thats harsh stuff.

If God is all knowing like EVERYONE claims, what is the purpose to an existenace of nothing but suffering?

I guess God is either mean spirited, doesn't care or is powerless to stop endless suffering. I can't think of any other reason.

Timmy now lives with deep regret. He shouldn't have taken those pain killers, but, darn it, the pain was so bad!! He probably will end up addicted to them now, as the mental pain is far more excruciating than the physical pain. His faith is wavering terribly and he will not speak of the love of God any longer, and many people who were previously lifted up by his caring spirit are being crushed by his dark moods.

God knew all along that Timmy was a faithful and loving believer who rejoiced in giving God's agape love to others. He also foreknew that Timmy's testimony would be lost, thus causing a negative domino affect in the spiritual lives of others. If only Timmy could have toughed it out, he, NOT GOD, would have saved so many people from being set on fire for eternity.

God lost, yet again. I thought he wanted everybody to be saved; in other words, come to an understanding of his unconditional love. He sure does make it hard, though.

(any contradictions in my story thus far? )

Last edited by herefornow; 09-07-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,566,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
I love this poem

Chance? by L. C.

In future days oh will there be
Another chance to yet make good?
Does God intend to let us see
If lessons learned were understood?

To let us start life o'er again
With stronger faith, and greater pow'r-
A life without the sin and pain,
Without temptation hour by hour?

Oh no! God nothing leaves to chance,
He made a settled perfect plan,
Each move well thought out in advance
With overwhelming good for man.

Creation all He'll reconcile-
The whole of it--both heav'n and earth.
Though evil may all minds beguile,
Yet in His cross true peace had birth.

Yes--having made this perfect peace
He'll draw all men to Him at last;
He'll give a weary world release,
With sin a thing forever past.

He'll make anew a sin-cursed earth,
Put ev'ry harmful thing away.
No fear or pain, no dreaded dearth
Will in creation wend its way.

What rest and joy such life would mean--
It surely would be "life indeed,"
No rift to ever come between,
No more of selfishness or greed.

Since God has planned this future good
For ev'ry creature ent'ring life,
Tell out the tidings as you should,
So sorely needed in the strife.

For hearts are weary of unrest,
Of disappointment, discord, pain;
Of trying hard to do the best,
Yet proving in the end how vain.

So tell them of the future fair,
Pass on the message with delight;
That day of joy each soul shall share
When Christ has come to put things right.

AMEN

Love this poem...thank you for sharing...

When one claims to be spiritual and says "Good Luck"...my reflex goes...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,055 times
Exclamation "From God's point of view there are no accidents - just happenings."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

Love this poem...thank you for sharing...

When one claims to be spiritual and says "Good Luck"...my reflex goes...
I like the way my hero and mentor Ray Prinzing puts it.

"From God's point of view there are no accidents - just happenings."

Old 09-08-2010, 08:56 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
No Second Chances to be Saved?

There is no such thing as being "Saved". There's my $0.02

Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,405,055 times
Default What we need to be "saved" from

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
No Second Chances to be Saved?

There is no such thing as being "Saved". There's my $0.02
Hi UC.

As a Christian universalist I believe that, sooner or later, everyone will be "saved" from death and suffering.

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, or sorrow, or crying, or pain, for those former things will be passed away." Revelation 21:4

The online writing called THE PURPOSE OF EVIL by A.P. Adams is, IMO very good on this subject!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 AM

595 posts, read 761,517 times
No,disrespect...Run into a burning building because God is leading me and know God knows the way out. God leads me and God watches my backside at all times because I am His and He is mine. And if God chooses my time is up, I will be with Jesus in Paradise today.
If I have no power over life and death without Him today or tomorrow, how can I have power over the love of God entering my heart?
John 1:13
children born not of natural descent, [ Greek of bloods] nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.
Glory to God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit for making me a new creation in Him, not of my own decision, only by His power in Christ Jesus.

God draws, Jesus chooses to reveal.

John 6:44
"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.
Luke 10:22
"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

All things that occur go through Christ first. Thank you Lord for you know all things that will happen beforehand in my life and I can rest in peace at all times knowing You know what is best for me.
When times are good, praise God and be joyful. When times are bad, consider and praise God. God always does good to those who love Him.

Dear Lord, I cry for your mercy everyday that I may never think more highly of myself than only the honor you have given me to be your child through Jesus Christ. And mercy Lord that you do not harden my heart to love You and my brother. Have mercy Lord and never take your Spirit from me as David spoke long ago, the man after your own heart. Thank you for your unlimited grace in all my times of need, you saved me even when I was your enemy.
In Jesus Mighty Name. Amen.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,363,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Timmy now lives with deep regret. He shouldn't have taken those pain killers, but, darn it, the pain was so bad!! He probably will end up addicted to them now, as the mental pain is far more excruciating than the physical pain. His faith is wavering terribly and he will not speak of the love of God any longer, and many people who were previously lifted up by his caring spirit are being crushed by his dark moods.

God knew all along that Timmy was a faithful and loving believer who rejoiced in giving God's agape love to others. He also foreknew that Timmy's testimony would be lost, thus causing a negative domino affect in the spiritual lives of others. If only Timmy could have toughed it out, he, NOT GOD, would have saved so many people from being set on fire for eternity.

God lost, yet again. I thought he wanted everybody to be saved; in other words, come to an understanding of his unconditional love. He sure does make it hard, though.

(any contradictions in my story thus far? )
I can relate to poor Timmy, I had an 'unsaved' best friend take his own life when he was 28 years old. I was tormented by that for years (back when I believed in ET).

I also had a work friend die in a motorcycle accident before I ever witnessed to him. More torment. If only I had the nerve to talk to him about Jesus but I put it off.

If you believe in ET, I guess your Timmy scenario seems very plausible.

Thank God I've been rescued from that awful bondage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity