Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 03:20 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times

Advertisements

She is, in essence, our mother n law as Christ is our husband. Honor her as you would your own mother, but don't pray to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:40 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
sigh----such differed opinions on mary---we all have the freedom to believe as we wish--put to mock or put down a concept different than yours--how un christian---to some of us Mary is our spiritual mother in heaven,a role model as a woman and mother and some ONE to honor and revere---as to prayer to a saint or Mary for intercession--don't tell me none of you have never asked someone to put in as good word for you if you request something or to say hi--i'm thinking of you to a mutual friend----this is part of praying----AND NOT PUTTING THE PERSON WE ARE PRAYING TO OVER GOD

Old 11-21-2010, 04:59 PM

20 posts, read 27,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
Hope this subject hasn't already been addressed. I looked back through the forum and couldn't find any mention of how Christians regard Mary. I ask this question since there is considerable difference of opinion on who Mary is in the faith of Christians. As a former Baptist, I basically ignored Mary other than when she is mentioned at Christmas. But we were taught that the Catholics prayed to Mary and put her up as equal to Jesus. I have come to understand that this is not correct. When I converted to Lutheran, the Virgin Mary was mentioned a lot more especially during the holy Eucharist. Mary is acknowledged in the creed, during the prayer when the holy communion is blessed by the pastor and recently one Sunday was devoted to the Virgin Mary. It was during this service last month that Mary was identified as the Mother of God and ever virgin.

How do other Christians view Mary? Is is wrong to ask Mary to pray for us? Are Catholics wrong in venerating Mary? Are some Protestants wrong for disregarding Mary? Is is biblical to honor Mary? Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.
The idea of worshiping Mary came from the cult of Isis, and Egyptian based religion that worshiped a mother-goddess. In the 4th century, Constantine integrated the cult of Isis into Christianity, which evolved into Catholicism over time. For more details on this, see my article on Catholicism: Catholicism God Bless.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM

64 posts, read 62,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar781 View Post
The idea of worshiping Mary came from the cult of Isis, and Egyptian based religion that worshiped a mother-goddess. In the 4th century, Constantine integrated the cult of Isis into Christianity, which evolved into Catholicism over time. For more details on this, see my article on Catholicism: Catholicism God Bless.

As always, please consider this but one source of information.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 PM

95 posts, read 162,408 times
It's been a while since I last posted but have had the opportunity to participate in various theological study groups as I prepare for the diaconate. My understanding of the role Mary plays in the Church has been enhanced by my studies and I realize more than ever that there seems to be some resistance toward the virgin Mary among some American Christians for some reason. As a former Baptist I am fully aware of the strong rejection of Mary as a response to anti-Catholic sentiments. This mindset seems to have spread among other Protestants in America but is not necessarily shared among Christians in Europe. As a Lutheran, I have become more aware of the blessed Virgin in worship, doctrine and devotion. There are 5 days honoring St Mary on the Lutheran church calendar including: the Purification of Mary, the Annunciation of Mary, the Visitation of Mary, the Nativity of Mary and the Feast of Mary, Mother of our Lord. Mary is revered as being in heaven with Christ in the Eucharistic prayer. As Christmas nears, we look to the blessed Virgin Mary as an example to us of her trust in God and the dear mother of the baby Jesus. There is no higher honor than to be chosen to be the Mother of God and by praising Mary we focus on our Lord and Savior.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:39 AM

910 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Nothing wrong with honoring Mary. The only question is when Christ is born into the world the 2nd time, it may not be through a Mary. Will you switch allegiance then?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
What's with the "religious" point of views?
Shouldn't we ALL just follow ONLY the Word of God?
About honoring Mary; why honor a human being?
She was a sinner like all of us and was favored by God to bear Jesus. In other words, she was just his obedient servant. That's all. If she weren't obedient, then God would have done this one way or another. Don’t honor the instrument (Mary), but honor the person who made it (God). So, no Mary is not the “Queen of Heaven” nor is she the “Mother of God.” “God [the Father, the Son (Jesus-Christ), and the Holy Spirit] is the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End” (Revelation 22:13). He was never created.
(Luke 11:27-28)“As Jesus was saying these things, a woman in the crowd called out, ‘Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you.’ He replied, ‘Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.’” Worship, honor, glory and praise are due to God alone. He commands it.
Some people claim to pray THROUGH Mary, not TO her. But either way is not needed. Jesus is our intercessor. He is the only One, who can “go to God in his own right and intercede for us, who himself does not need an intercessor. That’s one reason why He said, ‘I am the way, the truth and the life; no one can come to the Father except through me’ (John 14:6).” When you have Jesus, you don’t need anything or anyone else.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
When Jesus was confronted with the ideology of honouring His mother, He deferred from it to something better in doing instead.

Luke 11: 27And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. 28But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
Crazy fundamentalist quoting the Scripture. <<kidding of course. This is a very hard concept to talk about with those of the Catholic faith. I was actually raised Catholic, and raised saying the hail Mary's. After confirmation I never went back. I wandered for nearly a decade before Christ truly called me.

Pray to God people. Jesus is one and only mediator to the Father. The all powerful God does not need help from Mary to pray, who was a decendent from Adam meaning she also was dependent upon her virgin son for Salvation. Jesus was the messiah! According to us crazy fundamentalists he's our future reigning King!

Pray to him please! There is also pretty good evidence that the Saints and Mary are connected to pagan gods and goddesses. God hates pagan practices. It's all through the scriptures.

Let me also add how creepy it was confessing my sins to a man and how confession is not Biblical. Thank God I can just confess to him!

Old 04-15-2011, 05:18 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
Hope this subject hasn't already been addressed. I looked back through the forum and couldn't find any mention of how Christians regard Mary. I ask this question since there is considerable difference of opinion on who Mary is in the faith of Christians. As a former Baptist, I basically ignored Mary other than when she is mentioned at Christmas. But we were taught that the Catholics prayed to Mary and put her up as equal to Jesus. I have come to understand that this is not correct. When I converted to Lutheran, the Virgin Mary was mentioned a lot more especially during the holy Eucharist. Mary is acknowledged in the creed, during the prayer when the holy communion is blessed by the pastor and recently one Sunday was devoted to the Virgin Mary. It was during this service last month that Mary was identified as the Mother of God and ever virgin.

How do other Christians view Mary? Is is wrong to ask Mary to pray for us? Are Catholics wrong in venerating Mary? Are some Protestants wrong for disregarding Mary? Is is biblical to honor Mary? Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.
It is COMPLETELY WRONG to worship the virgin mary. She is not your savior!! She did not die on the cross for our sins!! Don't do it! Surrender to the Lord your problems and sins of this life!!! He will wash them away and make you clean and he is the ONLY way to Heaven!! For the Bible says

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:20 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Let me also add how creepy it was confessing my sins to a man and how confession is not Biblical.

Really? Go back and read John 20:21-32 and also 2 Corinthians 5:18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity