Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 03:24 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is true but there are many who are the way to Jesus. His mother and the saints who are in heaven.
If you were a stranger to God and one of the disciple came to you and brought you to Jesus to hear the word of God. Would you from that day fourth give glory to the disciple for bringing you to Jesus? Or would you give God the Glory for sending the Disciple to you.
Perception is a tool the enemy uses to deceive.
We are all as Christians co inheritors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 09:04 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
If you were a stranger to God and one of the disciple came to you and brought you to Jesus to hear the word of God. Would you from that day fourth give glory to the disciple for bringing you to Jesus? Or would you give God the Glory for sending the Disciple to you.
Perception is a tool the enemy uses to deceive.
We are all as Christians co inheritors.
I would be eternally grateful to the disciple but I would give Glory to God. We do the same with Mary. I really don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
If the Catholic doctrine of Mary'a perpetual virginity is true (which is debatable), then I think Joseph deserves more of a gold medal, for enduring a sexless marriage (He and Mary married in their early teen's when their hormones must have truly been raging). In fact, a "Josephite marriage" is an actual term, meaning sexless marriage.

Well, Joseph does have a few things named for him, like Cities in Missouri, California, and Costa Rica; a college in Philadelphia; a prominent church in Montreal, etc. - but nothing close to the honor accorded to Mary.

Last edited by slowlane3; 09-20-2014 at 09:59 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I think Joseph deserves more of a gold medal, for enduring a sexless marriage (at least according to the Catholic church, but not the Protestant church). (He and Mary married in their early teen's when their hormones must have been raging). In fact, a "Josephite marriage" is a term meaning sexless marriage. Well, he does have a few things named for him, like Cities in Missouri, California, and Costa Rica; a college in Philadelphia; a prominent church in Montreal, etc. - but nothing close to the honor accorded to Mary.

LOL, only in modern day America would we put sex on such a pedestal. The end all and be all of existence. It's thought that Joseph was a widower anyway and had children. He was chosen to be Mary's guardian and marriage made it possible.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I would be eternally grateful to the disciple but I would give Glory to God. We do the same with Mary. I really don't know why this is so hard to understand.
Are you saying people pray to the Disciples?

Old 09-20-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I've searched through many responses on this thread for the answer to something I've always wondered about relative to the ‘honoring’ of Mary by Catholics: What is meant by "HONOR?"

We "honor" many people, including the Apostles, the virgin Mary, a variety of historical and current religious leaders ... and many others. In this sense, "honor" means 'to acknowledge, respect, hold in high esteem).

“Worship†however, is different. It means that we idolize or ascribe deity to the person. Scripture clearly says that we are to ONLY 'worship’ God (the Father, Son and Holy Spirit), NOT any person!

The failure to define the term "honor" in this thread, has left me (and I suspect, many others) still confused about what is being discussed. - Thanks.
This I completely agree upon. Honoring is what is commending. The worshiping is what has begun to occur in branches of doctrine. The original teachings have been perverted by the enemy. Now confusion is abroad. This forum's intention is to teach. Or reconcile.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Praying to, is worshiping.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not. We use different words talking about saints and God. For God we say, I adore you, I worship you, I bless you, I give you thinks for your great glory. We never say that to the saints or Mary.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 PM

233 posts, read 374,198 times
Quote:
Just so you at least know what you are arguing against, can I provide a link so you at least understand the Catholic viewpoint? I'm not trying to convince you by any means, as it is something I had huge questions about myself.

Clearly, you don't seem to have much of a care for how you come off to other people, and I'm not about trying to change your approach. But let me just leave you this link that provides solid Catholic doctrine on the issue.

Praying to the Saints | Catholic Answers

Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
Just so you at least know what you are arguing against, can I provide a link so you at least understand the Catholic viewpoint? I'm not trying to convince you by any means, as it is something I had huge questions about myself.

Clearly, you don't seem to have much of a care for how you come off to other people, and I'm not about trying to change your approach. But let me just leave you this link that provides solid Catholic doctrine on the issue.

Praying to the Saints | Catholic Answers
This teaching is inferring that we have a secondary line of communication with heaven which is false. There is only one line. So basically when praying to Mary, Jesus picks up the call and you ask for Mary. Then Jesus ask Mary what did they say. I was not taught by anyone but the spirit about scripture. I am only trying to help.
I posted above some prayers taught to Catholics. to which put Mary on a Mantle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity