Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 03:13 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
Hope this subject hasn't already been addressed. I looked back through the forum and couldn't find any mention of how Christians regard Mary. I ask this question since there is considerable difference of opinion on who Mary is in the faith of Christians. As a former Baptist, I basically ignored Mary other than when she is mentioned at Christmas. But we were taught that the Catholics prayed to Mary and put her up as equal to Jesus. I have come to understand that this is not correct. When I converted to Lutheran, the Virgin Mary was mentioned a lot more especially during the holy Eucharist. Mary is acknowledged in the creed, during the prayer when the holy communion is blessed by the pastor and recently one Sunday was devoted to the Virgin Mary. It was during this service last month that Mary was identified as the Mother of God and ever virgin.

How do other Christians view Mary? Is is wrong to ask Mary to pray for us? Are Catholics wrong in venerating Mary? Are some Protestants wrong for disregarding Mary? Is is biblical to honor Mary? Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.
Hi friend...if you take a bath in dirty water, you'll never get clean. To God alone belongs the glory...the dead in Christ will follow. The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you Joy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
How do other Christians view Mary?

I don't think about her; I think about Jesus.

Is is wrong to ask Mary to pray for us?

Yes.

Are Catholics wrong in venerating Mary?

IMHO, yes.

Are some Protestants wrong for disregarding Mary?

No.

Is is biblical to honor Mary?

No.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:49 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
As Jesus Christ concerned about in the redemption of the humanity through it's spiritualization for God, the Blessed Mary is one of the redeemed facts by people for the love Godliness in heaven. It is the means to word that God comes down to Earth; heh, or trying to come down to Earth, giving Man sustenance in Faith.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Mary, Jesus Christ's mother was a sinner just like everyone else, and she had to repent just like any other person who becomes a Christian.

Rom:3:21: But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22: Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Mary is not to be worshiped or prayed to,
because she is a person just like everyone else.

Also Mary is not the mother of God,
because God was never born of a woman.
God has always been before the beginning of time.
And God is not a man, He is a Spirit.

Christians are only to pray to one and one only
and the is God Our Holy Father and no one else.

To pray to anyone else is an abomination and blasphemy.

As a Catholic, I believe Mary was taken up to heaven body and soul.

It is the Catholic belief that this has not happened to anyone else besides her and the person she bore...........Jesus Christ.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Yes, this is a matter of "belief" or " faith".

Same as responses to a question---------" Is there a God ? "

Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM

95 posts, read 162,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
When my great-grandparents settled in this country their Lutheran worship barely resembled what it is now, which does look like a Catholic mass. My proud ancestors came from Prussian, traveling with Roman Catholic Poles, but preserving their own faith and tradition. They would never have watered down the religion for anyone. Of course, they lived amongst the Roman Catholics. I guess that is why I can see the glaringly obvious differences.

I have certainly prayed to Mary for intercession but that is more because I lived with nuns and has nothing to do with being Lutheran. My pastor would tell me that was a fruitless endeavor.

I think your strong reactions are from me because I was accused of several things that I am not, and from a couple of people that seem to be carrying on a continuing argument. I don't think anyone got excited about Mary.

My father has an Anglican background and comes from the Scotch-Irish tradition. They do not pray to Mary for intercession, also.

Methinks that you might like the thought of being a Roman Catholic to get a rise out of your Baptist relatives. I live in the heart of the Bible belt and I know that they still think that Roman Catholics worship the Pope and all other kinds of nonsense.
Lutherans are most definitely in the "middle" so to speak and it is not surprising that Lutherans and Episcopalians are in "communion" with each other; even share churches, Episcopal bishops are present when a Lutheran is ordained and worship together regularly in certain parishes. These 2 Protestant denominations are the oldest and the first to break from the Roman Catholic church. They did not break away too far however and in Europe even the line of bishops goes back uninterrupted from the early Church.

But Lutherans in America were the "new guys on the block" so to speak. In parts of Germany and certainly in the Scandinavian countries Lutherans were the only Christians and in most of those countries a person was automatically considered Lutheran even if they never went to church. So when these Lutheran immigrants entered the U.S. they were surrounded by many other types of Christians. They knew they were not Roman Catholic but they also realized they were not like many Protestants also. The church buildings Lutherans constructed were much more like a Catholic church and things like statues, altars, baptismal fonts, communion rails made them look like Roman Catholics to outsiders. There are articles of how Lutherans were criticized by Protestants for being "too catholic" and some of the criticism made Lutherans reconsider how they constructed their churches. For example in Europe all Lutheran churches have very prominent crucifixes and that is common in America also but some Lutherans eventually replaced the crucifix with a plain cross in order to look more like other Protestants.

Anyway this is another subject that could be explored.

I found the bulletin from 3 Sundays ago, the Feast of Mary, Mother of Our Lord and looked at the prayers, readings and worship comments on the insert. Here is a segment taken from the Intercessions of the Prayer of the Church:

"You are the strength of the lowly. We give you thanks for the humble lives of the saints before us, especially Mary, the mother of our Lord, who live now with you in everlasting joy. May their example lead us until we are joined with them in your glory. Lord in your mercy. Hear our prayer."

That's the official prayer of the Lutheran hymnal.

Here's another Missouri Synod pastor's comments on the feast day of St Mary:
Higher Things : Did You Miss It Too? The Oft-Overlooked Festival of St. Mary: Mother of Our Lord

Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM

621 posts, read 1,210,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I'm tired of this discussion as well, so I will suggest only one thing: if you really believe this then take your own advice and lead by example.
I was thinking about this today while out walking, and I have to say I don't like arguing with people, particularly other Christians. It's not a good witness to the world when we take jabs at one another. I understand you have your beliefs, as I have mine, and I regret that we got into this exchange. I again apologize. I admit I don't understand why anything I've said has warranted the reactions I've gotten from you, but I suppose you feel the same about me. So let's both strive to express ourselves in a more loving, kind-hearted manner as believers should do. Take care.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
You need to take several courses in theological history. Best of luck to you. Sincerely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
Lutherans are most definitely in the "middle" so to speak and it is not surprising that Lutherans and Episcopalians are in "communion" with each other; even share churches, Episcopal bishops are present when a Lutheran is ordained and worship together regularly in certain parishes. These 2 Protestant denominations are the oldest and the first to break from the Roman Catholic church. They did not break away too far however and in Europe even the line of bishops goes back uninterrupted from the early Church.

But Lutherans in America were the "new guys on the block" so to speak. In parts of Germany and certainly in the Scandinavian countries Lutherans were the only Christians and in most of those countries a person was automatically considered Lutheran even if they never went to church. So when these Lutheran immigrants entered the U.S. they were surrounded by many other types of Christians. They knew they were not Roman Catholic but they also realized they were not like many Protestants also. The church buildings Lutherans constructed were much more like a Catholic church and things like statues, altars, baptismal fonts, communion rails made them look like Roman Catholics to outsiders. There are articles of how Lutherans were criticized by Protestants for being "too catholic" and some of the criticism made Lutherans reconsider how they constructed their churches. For example in Europe all Lutheran churches have very prominent crucifixes and that is common in America also but some Lutherans eventually replaced the crucifix with a plain cross in order to look more like other Protestants.

Anyway this is another subject that could be explored.

I found the bulletin from 3 Sundays ago, the Feast of Mary, Mother of Our Lord and looked at the prayers, readings and worship comments on the insert. Here is a segment taken from the Intercessions of the Prayer of the Church:

"You are the strength of the lowly. We give you thanks for the humble lives of the saints before us, especially Mary, the mother of our Lord, who live now with you in everlasting joy. May their example lead us until we are joined with them in your glory. Lord in your mercy. Hear our prayer."

That's the official prayer of the Lutheran hymnal.

Here's another Missouri Synod pastor's comments on the feast day of St Mary:
Higher Things : Did You Miss It Too? The Oft-Overlooked Festival of St. Mary: Mother of Our Lord

Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
I was thinking about this today while out walking, and I have to say I don't like arguing with people, particularly other Christians. It's not a good witness to the world when we take jabs at one another. I understand you have your beliefs, as I have mine, and I regret that we got into this exchange. I again apologize. I admit I don't understand why anything I've said has warranted the reactions I've gotten from you, but I suppose you feel the same about me. So let's both strive to express ourselves in a more loving, kind-hearted manner as believers should do. Take care.
Excellent post. I'm sorry too. Agreed and thanks.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You need to take several courses in theological history. Best of luck to you. Sincerely.
Great put down! Why don't you help shrimpboat if he is making incorrect statements instead of useless comments. At least he backs up what he posts with numerous citations and interesting articles. If you believe he is incorrect why don't you prove him wrong or present information that may be different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity