U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Washington State
3,371 posts, read 1,894,852 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
If we take a close look at the prophecy of Tyre or Tyrus in Ezekiel 27:1-36, and Ezekiel 28... we would notice that these passages parallel Revelation 17 and 18 regarding Babylon.

Could it be that this description of Tyre is more of a symbolism than literal...imho...

At any rate...just a thought.

Peace!
I'm sure the faithful at that time thought Tyre would really be sacked and would never rise again, just like Ezekiel said.

I should add that at the time, "never" might have made sense to them, seeing that many times they spoke in such dramatic and flowery ways. Everything (see, I'm doing it) was always (doing it again) apocalyptic/forever/doom and gloom. They just didn't get the big picture, but it was all for a good reason.

Last edited by herefornow; 09-13-2010 at 12:12 AM..

 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 AM
 
642 posts, read 304,437 times
Reputation: 90
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
There was a major flood, but it was not world-wide as portrayed in the Bible. The Gilgamesh story was written first. The Sumerian Gilgamesh story dates from 2100-2000 BC. This was long before the Bible was written. It was a popular story. The Bible merges two different versions of the flood story which were written.

For example:
"The flood lasted forty days on the earth." (Gen 7:17)

or

""When the water had increased over the earth for a hundred and fifty days...(Gen 7:24)

Just out of curiosity, can the Bible contain contradictions and errors and still be considered inspired? If so, isn't it God who is making these errors? Does God make errors?
The Bible is the inspired word(s) of God, and there are more than a few things that you folks are overlooking, resulting in presuppositions contrary to the truth. The great worldwide deluge that destroyed every living thing save Noah, the seven others, and those immature animals on the Ark, is not the same event as described by Gilgamesh. The Gilgamesh epic is descriptive of an event that took place at the end of the ice age. The ice melted rapidly over a period of years resulting in an increase in oceanic levels worldwide, resulting in the displacement of hundreds of bronze age cultures whose megalithic ruins can be found off the coasts of today's modern nations. Contrary to what is taught in the public school systems across the divided states of America the ice age ended about 1500 BC...roughly the same time as Israel was being led out of Egypt by Moses...roughly the same time the dark caucasoid Aryans were displaced due to worldwide climatic changes...as well as the Angles, the Jutes, the Jomons, the Amazons, the Formorians...and a great host of other ancient peoples shuffled aside by the uniformitarian elite who favor an ice age that ended 10,000-12,000 yrs. The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you to your C14 senses...
 
Old 09-13-2010, 04:12 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,410,177 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Contrary to what is taught in the public school systems across the divided states of America the ice age ended about 1500 BC...
Boggles the mind doesn't it folks??
 
Old 09-13-2010, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 1,393,756 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
The Bible is the inspired word(s) of God, and there are more than a few things that you folks are overlooking, resulting in presuppositions contrary to the truth. The great worldwide deluge that destroyed every living thing save Noah, the seven others, and those immature animals on the Ark, is not the same event as described by Gilgamesh. The Gilgamesh epic is descriptive of an event that took place at the end of the ice age. The ice melted rapidly over a period of years resulting in an increase in oceanic levels worldwide, resulting in the displacement of hundreds of bronze age cultures whose megalithic ruins can be found off the coasts of today's modern nations. Contrary to what is taught in the public school systems across the divided states of America the ice age ended about 1500 BC...roughly the same time as Israel was being led out of Egypt by Moses...roughly the same time the dark caucasoid Aryans were displaced due to worldwide climatic changes...as well as the Angles, the Jutes, the Jomons, the Amazons, the Formorians...and a great host of other ancient peoples shuffled aside by the uniformitarian elite who favor an ice age that ended 10,000-12,000 yrs. The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you to your C14 senses...
RESPONSE:

>>"The Bible is the inspired word(s) of God,"<<

Do you have any actual proof for this claim? If it were so, how can the Bible contain errors and contradictions?

>>"The great worldwide deluge that destroyed every living thing save Noah, the seven others, and those immature animals on the Ark,<<

There is no archeological evidence that this deluge was worldwide. Moreover, the Bible reports a race of gaints existing both before and after the flood. (Maybe you want to argue that they were tall enough to keep their heads above water? )
 
Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 PM
 
4,708 posts, read 3,702,013 times
Reputation: 974
I'm loving this thread. Case study example for blind faith and the mindless parroting it can induce.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 08:11 PM
 
5,501 posts, read 2,305,591 times
Reputation: 5118
Default A thing to consider: World play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
If we take a close look at the prophecy of Tyre or Tyrus in Ezekiel 27:1-36, and Ezekiel 28... we would notice that these passages parallel Revelation 17 and 18 regarding Babylon.

Could it be that this description of Tyre is more of a symbolism than literal...imho...

At any rate...just a thought.

Peace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Could be...'cause Tyre/Sour today sure 'aint no bare rock where fishermen spread their nets!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I'm sure the faithful at that time thought Tyre would really be sacked and would never rise again, just like Ezekiel said.

I should add that at the time, "never" might have made sense to them, seeing that many times they spoke in such dramatic and flowery ways. Everything (see, I'm doing it) was always (doing it again) apocalyptic/forever/doom and gloom. They just didn't get the big picture, but it was all for a good reason.
We must not disregard the possible "simplicity" of a word or words.

Take for example "enigmatology" practiced by one the best Crossword puzzle designer, Will Shortz:

Who would imagine that the answer to the clue "digital monitor" is "manicurist"

or that...

"hard drive" could lead to the solution, "Tiger's tee shot".

Our brain will automatically connect those with computer...

So it is when parroting a "doctrine"...

The Holy Spirit of God teaches us to analyse a thought with "reason"

Peace!
 
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Washington State
3,371 posts, read 1,894,852 times
Reputation: 424
I understand the parallels between Ezekiel and Revelation, and of course there is a connection. I was just trying to point out that "never" is not really "never" in the Bible. As we can all see, Tyre (sour) is standing once again, or at least we can see that a city has been built where Tyre once stood, though the Bible informs us that it would be a bare rock forever.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
 
5,501 posts, read 2,305,591 times
Reputation: 5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I understand the parallels between Ezekiel and Revelation, and of course there is a connection. I was just trying to point out that "never" is not really "never" in the Bible. As we can all see, Tyre (sour) is standing once again, or at least we can see that a city has been built where Tyre once stood, though the Bible informs us that it would be a bare rock forever.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
7,884 posts, read 4,410,177 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
As we can all see, Tyre (sour) is standing once again, or at least we can see that a city has been built where Tyre once stood, though the Bible informs us that it would be a bare rock forever.
At last!!
 
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Oregon
3,066 posts, read 1,393,756 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I understand the parallels between Ezekiel and Revelation, and of course there is a connection. I was just trying to point out that "never" is not really "never" in the Bible. As we can all see, Tyre (sour) is standing once again, or at least we can see that a city has been built where Tyre once stood, though the Bible informs us that it would be a bare rock forever.
RESPONSE

Don't you think it probable that John Patmos, the author of Revelation, had Ezekiel available to him and used it as a source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:11 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top