Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM

446 posts, read 552,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, I think Jesus and the flood are very similar. They are suppose to be a renewal. But if your god is perfect, why did he create such imperfect people to begin with? And why send his son to die on a cross? It doesn't make sense. Why go through all of that? If god was omnipotent he would simply make perfect people, anyway. Why was he "grieved" by his mistake? Just get rid of the free will stuff and start over. If he is omniscient, then didn't he see this coming? So why would he create these pesky, sinning people to begin with? Because he thinks we are a "hoot?" Or because he isn't as perfect as we think he is?
I am not sure if you are really quesitoning or just thinking with your fingers (out loud), but my God is perfect, and he did not create such imperfect people to begin with. But what he did do is create free will. Free will to act in a way that is totally opposite to what God desires, and free will to live how ever we humans want.

In the times of Genesis Bible, the people had no way of knowing who or what God was except to have communication with God or with someone who had communicated with God. (Remember, there was no organized religion at the time. Judaism didn't start until well after the Biblical flood.) Thus, it was quite easy for paganism to become rampant and humans to fall to the wayside via free will. Also, there was no real way at that time for people to become reconnected with God, other than direct communication with God. Thus, God decided to wipe the world of it's iniquities and establish a new covenant with the people by which they could be redeemed of their wicked ways.

It does all come back to Jesus though, as the the entire message of the Bible is written to allow Jesus' redeeming blood to be our sacrifice for our sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
George Carlin said it better than I ever could: In any decently-run universe this guy would have been out on his all-powerful arse along time ago.
well,what I usually say to comments like that are,'hey,all the parts are here...all are present and accounted for.If you think you can do a better job of creating the universe,or another one like it,only better this time...then by all means,feel free.go ahead'.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:56 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
to some extent,insane,but I believe it was the nephalim who were extincted by the great flood? so it seems it was important to wipe them out.story has it that fallen angels were mating with 'those whom they choose'.IOW-they were raping women,and producing some kind of race that was not entirely human.
so for the human race to continue,they had to be wiped out.that does not mean that evil would not continue;God is sovereign and He knew it would.evil has a purpose in it's own,it seems.(that's why were here,to experience it all??).it's just that evil would not continue in that present state or form.
I would point out..since we weren't there...we can't really all,or the reason(s) behind it.perhaps it would have,down the line,affected Noah and his family,which is the lineage of Jesus.God had to prevent that.That certainly would not have meshed with His plans!
I hope this makes sense;it's not something I care to debate,that's just what I get out of it.Others may see something else,believers or not.I won't argue with your POV though,or attempt to prove you wrong.You are entitled your opinion.
This makes for a great sci-fi movie my friend. I used to actually believe this stuff in my latter Christian years, but when you think about it, it provides a rather nice escape from the obvious (god destroying all mankind because his angels got on his nerves and screwed him over). It also provides a apologetic excuse for god's mass murdering (biblically speaking that is).

Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
"and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually".

The improvement is that now it's just "most imaginations much of the time"

Hmmm....

Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 PM

No not God's angels,insane,the fallen ones.but whatever you want to believe.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
well,what I usually say to comments like that are,'hey,all the parts are here...all are present and accounted for.If you think you can do a better job of creating the universe,or another one like it,only better this time...then by all means,feel free.go ahead'.
Yeah. And this is the point where I always like to say, "I don't claim to be a god or that one even exists." Nudge, nudge, wink, wink...

Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 PM

LOL.no God needed hic,all the parts is here

Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
to some extent,insane,but I believe it was the nephalim who were extincted by the great flood? so it seems it was important to wipe them out.story has it that fallen angels were mating with 'those whom they choose'.IOW-they were raping women,and producing some kind of race that was not entirely human.
so for the human race to continue,they had to be wiped out.that does not mean that evil would not continue;God is sovereign and He knew it would.evil has a purpose in it's own,it seems.(that's why were here,to experience it all??).it's just that evil would not continue in that present state or form.
According to Wikipedia, there are only two places in the Hebrew bible that mention Nephilim. These beings never fail to stir up great curiosity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM

702 posts, read 1,005,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc122 View Post
If you think you can do a better job of creating the universe,or another one like it,only better this time...then by all means,feel free.go ahead'.
That expresses how I sometimes relate to it. Whether the macro-cosmic, what is huge and powerful beyond comprehension and whatever is unknown to us therein, to molecules and the tiniest sub-atomic particle, even tauons...and now, dark matter and dark energy...all the redundancy of colors, flavors, odors...fabulous patterning...for us humans, it's bigger on the inside! For something so full of both good and evil, even if certain things that seem important to most of us can easily be esteemed as unjust...that there is all this something rather than nothing at all should make one praise the Supreme Lord and Creator.

Your personality is so much more winsome and endearing when, rather than an adversarial stance, you take an inquisitive approach. "Satan" means "adversary" and the devil's servants are servants of righteousness (according to the Bible.) With whatever power and ability you do have, how have you made a better world yourself? or are you just an armchair critic? Like it or not, you're here with the rest of us, after all. Lovable and searching, knowing God is the rewarder of those that diligently seek Him, benefits you so much more. Almost nobody wants to stay around a grumpy old sourpuss that is against everything.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Well once again Insane, you raise some good questions to which I have no answer. I've wondered about all of that myself and I see everyone is fumbling around trying to answer you but it's not working. This is where I say "it's a mystery".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity