Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 AM

380 posts, read 1,229,886 times

Advertisements

Ive been working 2 jobs the past 3 years and it has taking a toll on me. I have REFLUX im not blaming my 2 jobs but someone told me maybe GOD dosent want me to be working so much, and he FINALLY has gotten my attention.

I actually cry over this sometimes. im 24, and UPS has excellent benefits. but my other job the benefits are ok. I just want him to tell me what to do. I only sleep about 3-5 hours a day. I just want to please him. but yet there are risk in quitting. it is so hard. I pray everyday about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Ive been working 2 jobs the past 3 years and it has taking a toll on me. I have REFLUX im not blaming my 2 jobs but someone told me maybe GOD dosent want me to be working so much, and he FINALLY has gotten my attention.

I actually cry over this sometimes. im 24, and UPS has excellent benefits. but my other job the benefits are ok. I just want him to tell me what to do. I only sleep about 3-5 hours a day. I just want to please him. but yet there are risk in quitting. it is so hard. I pray everyday about it.

It sounds like your body is telling you it needs rest and a healthy diet. God did create our bodies and put internal controls to let us know when something is wrong.

As for quitting one of the jobs do realize that God is your provider. Many years ago a contract job I had ended. I was devastated because it could've continued but the supervisor had different plans. It took a few months for me to realize I had unknowingly put my faith in the job and not into God providing for me. I had become self-sufficient and didn't really need God to provide anything for me (subconsciously).

No matter your economic situation trust God with your finances and benefits. Don't worry about what others are saying, you have a relationship with Christ then you'll know when he is speaking to you.

PS: there are a lot of government benefits available to lower income. I was low income, working and received help from the state. It was tough emotionally but then someone reminded me "hey, you've been paying taxes all these years, this is what it's for. Take advantage of the money you've already put into the system." Just a thought.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote:

Hi Jamerschris

I also worked two jobs, for 17 long years, many years ago. One job was full time, the other was 4 hrs a day. Was it worth the extra money? Looking back now, I can say that no, it really wasn't. The long hours of work had a toll on my health, and ate a big hole out of my social life. Sure, the money was nice, but beyond a certain point money has a way of getting spent on stuff you really don't need. (at least mine did)

Something to seriously think about: the economy is in horrible condition right now, with so many people desperately searching to find a job, and unable to find any. So, what can one person do? Well, would it help if you quit one of your jobs, so that someone else (conceivably) could take it, and have income for their family?

Recently I retired early for that reason (among others). My job had great pay and benefits, but I was growing increasingly weary and exhausted, almost every day. And my feet hurt constantly from all the walking on concrete floors. Well, to make a long story short, I knew this young family living in my city, a mom and dad with a 1-yr old baby. The dad was more educated in my field than I was, but making less than half my wages at a mediocre job, with no benefits...and no better job in sight...they were struggling. My wife and I decided that if he was interested in my job, then I would retire, because although retirement income would not be much, it would be adequate, we could "get by", and this family needed the job more than I.
So that is what happened. After discussing it, the man was indeed interested in my job, so I let my boss know I was going to retire. I told my boss that I recommended this person to replace me.(because of his background, experience, and schooling) That young man took my place, and is now in about his 3rd week working there. Likewise, the job he left will likely be filled by someone else who also needs a job. Although he's not a Christian, for some reason that didn't seem to matter. I'm not saying all this to "toot my horn", because I would not have mentioned this at all if I hadn't read your post. How things worked out was just the right thing to do....in any situation you just do what is right...it's pretty simple. Whether that applies in your situation I can't say...that's for you to decide. I'd just pray and ask God for direction.

PS: if you do happen to leave one of your jobs, tell someone you know about it, that needs one...

PS #2: I also have reflux. I'd recommend doing whatever your doctor suggests. (generic "Prilosec" works for me)

I'll be praying for you!

Bud

Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:

Quit looking at this from some religious perspective that God is not pleased with you. Tell those who think you are displeasing God to take a hike, they do not have any idea what they are talking about.

Look at the root cause of whether you are happy doing what you do and if there is a good purpose behind it. I do not get a heck of a lot of sleep but I love my life, so I don't care about it much.

Do you absolutely need two jobs? Are you using your workaholism to escape from something in your life. Do you fear needing two jobs so if you lose one you still have another?

There is a common sense way to find what you need to find here.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times
Quote:

Why do you have to work 2 jobs? Are you bills that great? Are you living beyond you means? If your body is breaking down then you need to make a change and yes God will warn you with certain signs that you need to make a change.

I had a stroke last year and I had to make alot of changes and I am just now going back to work. I lost everything and we had to move in with my inlaws. My 2 oldest sons chose to go it on their own but I still have 2 school aged kids and my wifes work is only seasonal and doesnt make much.

So keep you chin up and look to the Lord.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM

34 posts, read 22,199 times
The standard of living that we believe we need may put heavy deamnds on us.
I also used to work at a very good paying job, but it was very stressful and demanding.. and i was so unhappy.
I left and i live a lot more humble now.. i even started growing some of my own food( one of the most Rewarding things that i think i have even done)

I lived in a home with no electricity or running water for a few years as well.. sooo humbling and beautiful ( i know that some countries weather does not permit this but i was fortunate to be able to do this.. very rewarding. and i plan to soon return.god willing At the end of the day all we need is a full belly,( food and water) shelter and love. all else is vanity.( no offense to any)

There are lots of options , the way of life that most people have grown very dependent on is a very fast paced life that runs us down quickly..
keep praying and the father will guide your footsteps , trust in him
bless.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:

The only risks in quitting are financial risks. Therfore, I personally would lower my standard of living, and just work one job. Good health is far more important than money.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
UPS is a good, union job. Keep that job, quit your other job. You can't expect god to make all of your decisions for you. Take some responsibility, use the rational mind that you were given, and improve your life.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Gads, unless UPS has cut way back on their pay, that should be plenty of income. I had a friend who worked for UPS and supported his wife and three kids on that income alone.

Could it be that your expenses are too high?

Your body is telling you something. What is it?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM

380 posts, read 1,229,886 times
my other job pays more and gives me more hours... than UPS. but UPS has the better Insurance. it's so hard. I do pray and ask but I dont know where to go from here. all of your comments have helped me it's just a big debate and a huge rish I have to take.

someone told me though you need atleast 7-8 hours of sleep even for my age of 24. and im only getting 3-4 a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity