U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 AM
 
Location: NY & Fl
10,986 posts, read 7,608,249 times
Reputation: 8958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethelight View Post
if the bible is the only way to know god..then what happens to people who cannot read or do not have access to a bible.. or what happened before the bible was printed and ( sold)
GOd is alive, real and all around us ..he is not in a book..
i am not basshing the bible.. i actually enjoy reading it.. but it is not the "truth" it is a means of leading us to the truth( Christ) . but my belief is that it is not the only means, as GOd is within us and can teach us without the bible...
Although the bible may seem like a very confusing book with very complex theories or whatever... it is really the most simple teaching that somehow we sseem to miss..

Live in love.. love thy neighour, practice love .. once we follow love, love will be our teacher and we need no other teacher other than love
I have felt and continue to feel and see the power of Love and i trust in it.

once again i am not trying to offend any
Your first post stated that Jesus was the way.
My point is that only the bible teaches of Jesus.
I cannot understand how you can have one without the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 AM
 
22,865 posts, read 10,770,438 times
Reputation: 3856
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Your first post stated that Jesus was the way.
My point is that only the bible teaches of Jesus.
I cannot understand how you can have one without the other.
Your either/or assumption is wrong . . . the Holy Spirit teaches us how to "believe on" Jesus in "love of God and each other." Jesus abides with us. He is not dead. The Bible is just USEFUL (profitable) for instruction . . . not the end all and be all. Those who "believe in" think they have chosen some superficial proclamation of belief that will save them. Belief is NOT chosen. It is or it isn't, period. Its "fruits" identify and define it. It comes from within in response to the Holy Spirit. The Father calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:07 AM
 
Location: NY & Fl
10,986 posts, read 7,608,249 times
Reputation: 8958
Mystic....how many people do you think 'found' or learned of Jesus, or an mention of him, from any source other than the bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 AM
 
34 posts, read 5,176 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Your first post stated that Jesus was the way.
My point is that only the bible teaches of Jesus.
I cannot understand how you can have one without the other.
i completely understand what you are saying
but to me jesus/yeshua/christ/the messiah/whatever the name used.
Is much more than a "name" in a book.. i come from a family that is absolutly not in the least religious.. i did not know the first thing about the bible or anything in it....
i knew jesus before i read the bible.. when i did read the bible i realised that it was the same person that i had already "met" i knew that i was reading about the person that was already teaching me... and cleaning me, renewing me.
I cant explain it in any other way . and the mind may interpret it in a diff way that i am intending but this is the only way i know how to explain.

i beleive that i do not need the bible to teach me about my savior.
I know that he is here with me now.. and forever and he can teach me all about him ... himself. i trust in his greatness and power and with him all things are possible.. even if it confuses our "minds"
That is jsut me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 AM
 
Location: NY & Fl
10,986 posts, read 7,608,249 times
Reputation: 8958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethelight View Post
i completely understand what you are saying
but to me jesus/yeshua/christ/the messiah/whatever the name used.
Is much more than a "name" in a book.. i come from a family that is absolutly not in the least religious.. i did not know the first thing about the bible or anything in it....
i knew jesus before i read the bible.. when i did read the bible i realised that it was the same person that i had already "met" i knew that i was reading about the person that was already teaching me... and cleaning me, renewing me.
I cant explain it in any other way . and the mind may interpret it in a diff way that i am intending but this is the only way i know how to explain.

i beleive that i do not need the bible to teach me about my savior.
I know that he is here with me now.. and forever and he can teach me all about him ... himself. i trust in his greatness and power and with him all things are possible.. even if it confuses our "minds"
That is jsut me.
Why do you attribute all that to Jesus rather than God 'him'self?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 AM
 
4,887 posts, read 5,334,196 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why do you attribute all that to Jesus rather than God 'him'self?
Because Jesus is God (eventhough Jesus admitted in the bible that he was not the same as God).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM
 
22,865 posts, read 10,770,438 times
Reputation: 3856
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Mystic....how many people do you think 'found' or learned of Jesus, or an mention of him, from any source other than the bible?
ALL of us have the "believe on" . . . an inner knowing . . . we may just not consciously realize (or may actively reject) its source . . . like me during my atheist years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,073 posts, read 1,543,714 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
ALL of us have the "believe on" . . . an inner knowing . . . we may just not consciously realize (or may actively reject) its source . . . like me during my atheist years.
Amen.

There are those who are alive in Christ, asleep in Christ and dead in Christ. Those who are dead in Christ are those who have not yet been raised up to see Him, but they are still in Him, for He died ONCE for ALL men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
 
5,501 posts, read 2,387,628 times
Reputation: 5118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
ALL of us have the "believe on" . . . an inner knowing . . . we may just not consciously realize (or may actively reject) its source . . . like me during my atheist years.
A tug from within...

He/she who has an ear, hear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 AM
 
34 posts, read 5,176 times
Reputation: 18
He that says that the Bible is the word, and the four books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John is the gospel, he knows not Christ, the lamb of God, which takes away the sins of the world; for the Bible does not take away sin. And you that say you had not come to repentance, if you had not known the Bible, you deny Christ, who came to call sinners to repentance before the Bible existed. It is Christ who calls sinners to repentance, and not the Bible; but the Bible is a declaration of the word, God is the word; and the Bible is a declaration of the light, Christ is the light; and the Bible is a declaration of the spirit, but the spirit is not the Bible; the Bible is a declaration of power, but the power is not it. The power, and the life, and the light, was in them that spoke it forth, whom the world always hated. Therefore waiting in the light, which Christ has enlightened you with, that is scripture within you, and that will open the scripture, (according as you grow in the light,) and the saint's conditions, as you are sanctified, and as you are cleansed and made free by the son of God, for it is he that makes free. Who are made free from sin, and from the world, are made free by the son of God; and blessed be the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has raised him from the dead, and by him raised us up from the dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top