Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:06 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

What did Jesus mean when He said He would "reward every man according to his works"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What did Jesus mean when He said He would "reward every man according to his works"?
To me loving the most unlovable creature I encounter everyday and throwing bread (the word of God) in return for stones being thrown at you...is hard work in itself and requires unshakable in faith in God who IS LOVE...

In short, ~Love God and your neighbor as yourself~

Peace!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
To me loving the most unlovable creature I encounter everyday and throwing bread (the word of God) in return for stones being thrown at you...is hard work in itself and requires unshakable in faith in God who IS LOVE...

In short, ~Love God and your neighbor as yourself~

Peace!
I liked everything you said, and I agree with everything you said. The only probably is, I couldn't see how it answered my question.

To me, "I will reward every man according to his works" seems to be something like a teacher saying to a group of graduating seniors, "We will assign you a class placement based on your G.P.A." Obviously, I don't think we're competing with each other for God's love, so that analogy certainly isn't perfect. But I do think it means, "Greater obedience and faithfulness will result in greater rewards." Everyone is in a position to be the recipient of all the blessings God has in store for us. Nobody is going to have to worry about edging out the next guy. But complacency (i.e. "I believe. That's all that's expected of me.") will not reap the same blessings as sincere devotion to our Savior, as evidenced by our good works.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-14-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Will we be rewarded for our works?

Quote:
I liked everything you said, and I agree with everything you said. The only probably is, I couldn't see how it answered my question.
YES!!!
Kat, Jesus stood for ALL that represents "HUMILITY", thus...the reward must the the "blessings" that come from emulating how he walked on this earth.

And as I stated...it is hard work...

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.

The ^^^infers "GOOD WORKS!"

Blessings to you and yours...

Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
YES!!!
Kat, Jesus stood for ALL that represents "HUMILITY", thus...the reward must the the "blessings" that come from emulating how he walked on this earth.

And as I stated...it is hard work...

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessings to you and yours...
So, would it be correct to say that you believe the "rewards" will be received as we find satisfaction in emulating Him, and do not refer to rewards to be received in Heaven?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
So, would it be correct to say that you believe the "rewards" will be received as we find satisfaction in emulating Him, and do not refer to rewards to be received in Heaven?
I am of this earth and can only relate to earthly things...the things that are heavenly...I cannot begin to speculate in words...therefore I leave it to God who is in heaven to do his will on earth as it is in his realm (heaven).

Peace!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,714 times
Quote:
I believe that we will know what our rewards are when we find our first of homes after we pass. Our soul will be attacted to a home that it is conditioned to be in. I also believe that with more truth and knowledge we can grow to higher places.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
I am of this earth and can only relate to earthly things...the things that are heavenly...I cannot begin to speculate in words...therefore I leave it to God who is in heaven to do his will on earth as it is in his realm (heaven).
Peace!
The "rewards" are intrinsic to the achievements themselves . . . not something external. Ever watch Andre' Rieu at one of his concerts? The beautiful music he is capable of producing from what had to be arduous musical training . . . is his reward. He thoroughly enjoys himself and his pleasure is magnified by his audience's enjoyment. It is the same principle.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is the same principle.
He "connects the music with that band..."

Old 09-14-2010, 08:44 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
It means we are expected to do the best we can, to help our fellow man, our families and ourselves. There are no free passes to salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity