Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,278,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That's because the Bible is NOT the problem . . . it is the ignorant primitive interpretations that have been perpetuated for 2000+ years that discredit themselves! Anyone who has God in their heart and understands His love . . . discredits those primitive interpretations. Those who do not . . . have not taken them to God in complete sincerity. They are brainwashed and indoctrinated beyond help.
The irony is that primitive thinkers were the authors of the bible. So if primitive thinking was the "input", then primitive thinking will be the obvious "output". As a result, folks of today try their hardest to make sense of our primitive bible authors' ramblings. This is why there are more denominations of Christianity than there are flavors of Kool Aid. No one can agree on the true meaning of the "holy book".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 PM

595 posts, read 758,605 times
Matthew 22:40
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
Luke 16:31
"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "
Luke 24:25 He said to them, "How foolish you are, and how slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken!
Romans 3:21 [ Righteousness Through Faith ] But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
Ephesians 2: 19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.2 Peter 1:19
And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

2 Peter 1:20
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation.came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

God Bless,
Mercy

Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,593,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The irony is that primitive thinkers were the authors of the bible. So if primitive thinking was the "input", then primitive thinking will be the obvious "output". As a result, folks of today try their hardest to make sense of our primitive bible authors' ramblings. This is why there are more denominations of Christianity than there are flavors of Kool Aid. No one can agree on the true meaning of the "holy book".
But yet...

"Love your neighbor as yourself" is considered (by many) the highest moral standard - even today (and has rarely been attained).

Authors wrote "books".

Religious/political councils put them into a group of books and named it "the Bible".

I think as with all human creations - the good, the bad and the ugly are all included.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,278,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I think as with all human creations - the good, the bad and the ugly are all included.
I agree with this totally! However, the bible is not touted as being "the good, the bad, and the ugly" book. It is proclaimed to be the "good book" in which "God" inspired the human hands that wrote it. So which one is it? God's perfect book to man, or man's best and most sold work of fiction (full of contradictions and bad translations from its most ancient origins to Old English)?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,539,874 times
Quote:
But yet...

"Love your neighbor as yourself" is considered (by many) the highest moral standard - even today (and has rarely been attained).

Authors wrote "books".

Religious/political councils put them into a group of books and named it "the Bible".

firstborn this movie is one of my much watched movie collection...

Sorry off topic...

Old 09-08-2010, 12:59 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,338,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Neither of those passages imply that the Word is in the heart and mouth of every creature under heaven as you claim in post #34.

If you are anyone else wants to understand those passages, then simply refer to the following link...

Romans 10:8-11 Commentary

The only thing that I will emphasize from that link is the following.

Confession is not a condition of salvation but the inevitable outward expression of what has happened:

And contrary to what you are implying, the kingdom of God is NOT in any unbeliever.
mike,
the one place where Paul speaks of testing oneself to see if he/she is a true believer is in 2 Cor. 13. Know ye not that Jesus Christ is in you?
A true believer has the witness on himself. It's not new age, it's communion with God. Paul learned that God's Son was in him!

Until you learn to hear Christ within you, you will only grow in judgmentalism and hate towards others. Only Jesus Christ in you can break the yoke of the dead letters amd traditions of men.

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-08-2010, 02:53 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethelight View Post
the bible is not the word of god,
jesus is the word, the light.
he is right here with us and around us , ready to teach us himself
he wants us to be united wtih the father in heaven and HE is the way ( not knowlegde of the bible)
So let me get this straight.
The only place you could have learned about Jesus is from the bible but then you turn around and discredit the bible as the unnecessary source?
That makes sense to me

Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,186,318 times
Quote:
But yet...

And not only was this taught in the bible but it was taught in many of the earlier religious beliefs prior to Christianity...so what does that tell us????

Quote:
Authors wrote "books".

Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 AM

34 posts, read 22,103 times
if the bible is the only way to know god..then what happens to people who cannot read or do not have access to a bible.. or what happened before the bible was printed and ( sold)
GOd is alive, real and all around us ..he is not in a book..
i am not basshing the bible.. i actually enjoy reading it.. but it is not the "truth" it is a means of leading us to the truth( Christ) . but my belief is that it is not the only means, as GOd is within us and can teach us without the bible...
Although the bible may seem like a very confusing book with very complex theories or whatever... it is really the most simple teaching that somehow we sseem to miss..

Live in love.. love thy neighour, practice love .. once we follow love, love will be our teacher and we need no other teacher other than love
I have felt and continue to feel and see the power of Love and i trust in it.

once again i am not trying to offend any

Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,338,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethelight View Post
if the bible is the only way to know god..then what happens to people who cannot read or do not have access to a bible.. or what happened before the bible was printed and ( sold)
GOd is alive, real and all around us ..he is not in a book..
i am not basshing the bible.. i actually enjoy reading it.. but it is not the "truth" it is a means of leading us to the truth( Christ) . but my belief is that it is not the only means, as GOd is within us and can teach us without the bible...
Although the bible may seem like a very confusing book with very complex theories or whatever... it is really the most simple teaching that somehow we sseem to miss..

Live in love.. love thy neighour, practice love .. once we follow love, love will be our teacher and we need no other teacher other than love
I have felt and continue to feel and see the power of Love and i trust in it.

once again i am not trying to offend any

I agree, the scriptures are only a testimony of those who have gone before us, and have had experience of God in themselves. They can help us "see better" what is already in our hearts. God Himself must be our teacher, the Anointing which must rise in us, and we learn through experience to discern Him.

Or they (the scriptures) can blind us by making us focus on doctrines and traditions that oppose what is in our hearts.

Blessings!
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity