Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 PM

95 posts, read 162,498 times

Advertisements

Yesterday many TV programs focused on the tragedy of 9/11 and how over 200 people jumped to their deaths when the Twin Towers were on fire. These people made the choice of ending their lives by jumping out of the windows instead of letting the fire reach them first.

One story of 9/11 was about the "Falling Man" and haunting photos of him in air. The search for the identity of the "Falling Man" included a family who were upset that it could have been their father\ husband since they believed that jumping off of the Twin Towers would have been a mortal sin. It was sad to me that they actually believed their loved one was going to hell. But as it turns out the "Falling Man" was probably someone else.

Here are 2 segments of a documentary on those who took their lives by jumping out of the windows on the Twin Towers; these videos focus on the identity of the 'Falling Man'; not for the faint-hearted.

YouTube - 9/11: The Falling Man (6/8)

YouTube - 9/11: The Falling Man (7/8)

Do you believe that those who jumped to their death were committing mortal sins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Default Do you believe that those who jumped to their death were committing mortal sins?

What a morbid "doctrine" or thought...
There are those who are alive yet dead in spirit and cannot discern the things that are spiritual...and there those who are dead in the flesh...but are alive in spirit...

Leave the dead to bury their dead...and follow me...Jesus said...

Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
oh freak,no way.it would have been almost a reflexive reaction for someone in that kind of heat to jump.they were trying to get away from the intense heat,who on earth would stay there and get burnt up,even knowing they would die from jumping? I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to think that even someone extremely afraid of heights woud still have jumped to their death.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM

95 posts, read 162,498 times
I was very shaken by watching the programs yesterday since I have avoided the subject for several years. But this particular incident drew me in even though I was very sad. That so many people jumped to certain death is the most desperate thing anyone can ever do. All I can think is that they must have called out to God in their final moments. That they would go to hell for such a devastating decision just doesn't seem consistent with a loving Father. Some suggest that the image of the "Falling Man" was a man at peace.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I believe intent and competence are seen as relevant in suicide or any sin. So basically I wouldn't think suicide is always a mortal sin. I'm not sure I want to get into the 9/11 specifics, but I imagine some of it was a panic reaction rather than even suicide in the traditional sense.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:52 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
No

And I will add to that: it never is.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Let us not judge a panicked persons actions, let us remember the families who are left to grieve and mourn the terrible thing that took so many innocent lives..above all let us remember this:

Psalm37:24 Though he fall,he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with His hand

Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Those are painful videos to watch but the final video in the series [8/8] focuses on a man who's father is a pastor. His sister speaks of joy and the wonderful memories of her brother who is likely the Falling Man.

My understanding of Catholic doctrine on suicide is that it is not a mortal sin to take your life when facing imminent death especially under the extreme stress of a catastrophe or torture. May his soul rest in peace!

Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Where in the Bible does it say that suicide is a "mortal" sin? (Especially, if you are just about to die a most extreme painful death by fire anyway). Hint: it doesn't. (And no, I'm not suggesting that people commit suicide to end their problems, because it isn't a "mortal" sin)

I recall reading Jesus' words that there is only ONE unforgivable sin...the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost (Spirit). There's nothing in there about suicide being an unforgivable sin...

So where did this doctrine of "mortal sin" come from...man...or God?

Bud

Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
No

And I will add to that: it never is.
Even the term "Mortal Sin" is a fabrication of the church in order to control people with fear and dread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity