Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times

Advertisements

My alma mater just sent me an email announcing these Guided Readings to begin on September 27th. Professor Frank Spina (my former Old Testament professor) has decades of experience in teaching both Old and New Testaments, and has written the lessons.

There is more information on the link provided. If you do participate, I hope you get as much from the studies as I did, years ago. Perhaps we can even compare notes from this offering.

God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 AM

409 posts, read 399,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
My alma mater just sent me an email announcing these Guided Readings to begin on September 27th. Professor Frank Spina (my former Old Testament professor) has decades of experience in teaching both Old and New Testaments, and has written the lessons.

There is more information on the link provided. If you do participate, I hope you get as much from the studies as I did, years ago. Perhaps we can even compare notes from this offering.

God Bless
I'm not trying to be disrespectful but they teach the trinity and that is a man made doctrine. It is my opinion that people should be taught scripture directly from scripture. To teach the trinity is to deny Jesus as God's son but rather place him as God and that isn't what the Bible teaches. Again, I'm not trying to disrespect your beliefs but the Bible truths are of the most importance. Jesus taught people who God is and he gave his followers the name of God so that they could teach that as well. John 17:26

Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
I'm not trying to be disrespectful but they teach the trinity and that is a man made doctrine.
No disrespect noted, but I do wonder the basis of your belief? As I mentioned, I graduated from SPU and their Bible courses are taught FROM the Bible. As for doctrines, they are ALL man-made.

I just put it out there for those interested. It doesn't matter to me whether you choose or not. I just wanted to respond to your statements.

Best wishes.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No disrespect noted, but I do wonder the basis of your belief? As I mentioned, I graduated from SPU and their Bible courses are taught FROM the Bible. As for doctrines, they are ALL man-made.

I just put it out there for those interested. It doesn't matter to me whether you choose or not. I just wanted to respond to your statements.

Best wishes.
All doctrines aren't man made. The Bible is God's word not mans. I'm studying to be a Jehovah's witness.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
All doctrines aren't man made. The Bible is God's word not mans. I'm studying to be a Jehovah's witness.
Well, one can pick and choose verses from the Bible to justify just about anything. Hey, David Koresh was able to quote the Bible to suit his objectives, too.

Back to the original question. The Learning Company has an excellent series of DVDs from the extremely balanced and erudite Timothy Luke Johnson. I recommend it highly.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
The course looks very interesting..I learn something from each and every denomination and religion there is..Doesn't mean that I have to believe everything I hear or read, but it does put me in touch with members of the church that I would otherwise never meet..It is a great experience in love and tolerance once I climbed out of that box

Old 09-11-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, one can pick and choose verses from the Bible to justify just about anything. Hey, David Koresh was able to quote the Bible to suit his objectives, too.

Back to the original question. The Learning Company has an excellent series of DVDs from the extremely balanced and erudite Timothy Luke Johnson. I recommend it highly.
Those are expensive!

One I've found very educational is Mankind's Search For God by The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity