U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,532,604 times

Advertisements

Are you in a church that asks how serious you are about living the christian life?

I was in a church like that: in my high school years, my Sunday school teachers led me to believe that I had to make a commitment to follow Christ to say to men and to God that He is Lord of my life. It wasn't enough that I believed in Jesus Christ as My Saviour, I had to make a public confession of this commitment to follow Christ to say that He is Lord of my life as well.

I have to say that since that time, I became a religious christian, doing the best I can in following Jesus and failing. I was nominated and elected as deacon twice, but I resigned when I was having a difficult time in following Him to the point that I felt like a fraud.

I have gone to Urabana and responded several times to the altar call and other places as well, but no matter what, by that commitment is the knowledge of sin of not being able to follow Him.

Then one day, in 1994, after many years later and still going on a rollercoaster ride in following Jesus: I came across a pamphlet that convicted me of the words of my mouth because I had picked up the habit of cussing whenever nobody was around out at a warehouse I used to work at just to let off some steam. Anyway, I was led to make a covenant with my mouth not to cuss anymore but the very next day, I was worse than I ever was before. I was getting thoughts of "You are not His!! If you were His, He would have helped you keep your covenant!" I had stopped listening to the devil and being at my wits' end, I had asked the Lord why He was not helping me for surely He knew I did not want to do that sin anymore.

A small still voice said unto me: not audible, but I heard Him still: "You made the covenant. You said you were going to do it. I made the Covenant with you and I said I am going to do it. All I asked from you is to believe on Me."

I was humbled that day and the Lord knew that I would need scriptures to back up and confirm that supernatural expereince as coming from the Lord.

John 6:28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

2 Corinthians 11: 19For ye suffer fools gladly, seeing ye yourselves are wise. 20For ye suffer, if a man bring you into bondage, if a man devour you, if a man take of you, if a man exalt himself, if a man smite you on the face.

Galatians 3: 1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Here: Jesus spoke against believers making any vows or promises that are His to keep and to finish.

Matthew 5: 33Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.... 9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

So not only did Jesus set me free from my yoke of bondages of the covenant with my mouth not to cuss, but He has set me free from my commitment to follow Him.

I am by His grace, no longer a religious christian as I am now in a relationship based on trust: as I trust Him for my eternal life so I trust Him to help me live the christian life: thus the just shall live by faith in Him and all His promises to us. That is how I get to know Him when I stop looking to myself in doing the best I can to looking to Jesus Christ, the author and finsiher of my faith in helping me to lay aside every weight and sin that so easily besets me so I can run the race with Him well.

So I may make a decision to follow Jesus but there is no power in that decision. I am surrendering by denying myself as being able and looking to Jesus Christ as My Enabler in living the christian life.

Everyone would want some sign from the believer that he or she is serious, but that would be looking to the flesh and placing confidence in men. What we need to hear from others as well as from ourselves is knowing our faith in how Jesus Christ is committed to us in being Our Good Shepherd as well as Our Saviour.

This is the reality of our reconciled relationship with God.

John 1: 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

This is why not very many mighty men and nobles are called because the Good News are for the poor in spirit and the little children as they are readily able to receive the Good News openly whereas a religious man would not since it would require surrendering from what he can do to what God can do in order to be witnesses of the Son and His promises to us.

So I may make a decision in regards to following Jesus, but I am trusting Him to help me to follow Him because essentially, I have "given up" trying to do the best I can in keeping that commitment to follow Him to just simply taking Him at His word that He will lead me in living as His child.

That is why I no longer speak of my former commitment or anything wherein a man may boast in his flesh, but by His grace, I speak of my faith in Him so that sinners may see their hope in God and not look to themselves to do any of God's work in them as only God can do His work. May others see my faith in how much I know how serious God is in helping me live the christian life wherein I rest in Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 03:51 PM

12,893 posts, read 10,850,754 times
This was a suggested topic of interest under another one...I clicked it bef seeing it was in
The Christian section...but I will continue anyway.

The importance of following what Jesus instructed is what I base me life on.
Consciously, deliberately now for many years.
Following his clues, advice, directions means being a happy person in this life on earth
or not.

Not worrying, being anxious for nothing, not being double-minded, delighting in the Lord,
Asking and receiving, casting my cares, loving others, loving the Lord with all my heart
and soul and mind, being charitable, patient, kind etc....is how you "make it" here.
Going within seeking the Kingdom of Heaven is No. 1....first thing's first...and all else
falls in place like the Domino Effect.

So, how serious am I?
100% serious.

I ask people try it for one week...all of the above...one week...find out
what it is to follow Jesus' instructions 24/7.....because .....wow!
He knew the way, the answer, to everything we could ever want or need.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM

154 posts, read 162,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This was a suggested topic of interest under another one...I clicked it bef seeing it was in
The Christian section...but I will continue anyway.

The importance of following what Jesus instructed is what I base me life on.
Consciously, deliberately now for many years.
Following his clues, advice, directions means being a happy person in this life on earth
or not.

Not worrying, being anxious for nothing, not being double-minded, delighting in the Lord,
Asking and receiving, casting my cares, loving others, loving the Lord with all my heart
and soul and mind, being charitable, patient, kind etc....is how you "make it" here.
Going within seeking the Kingdom of Heaven is No. 1....first thing's first...and all else
falls in place like the Domino Effect.

So, how serious am I?
100% serious.

I ask people try it for one week...all of the above...one week...find out
what it is to follow Jesus' instructions 24/7.....because .....wow!
He knew the way, the answer, to everything we could ever want or need.
When people say this, often they always overlook Luke 14:22 but follow everything else Jesus said. It's like the black sheep in the family of Bible verses. And when it IS addressed, it is twisted and shaped and molded into everything but the literal command of what Jesus said. I'm not necessarily attacking you, just stating how when Christians say they are serious, they see that verse and walk away while whistling with their hands behind their back.

Or, do you follow that command in Luke 14:22? If so, how do you go about it?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:48 PM

15,585 posts, read 7,052,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
When people say this, often they always overlook Luke 14:22 but follow everything else Jesus said. It's like the black sheep in the family of Bible verses. And when it IS addressed, it is twisted and shaped and molded into everything but the literal command of what Jesus said. I'm not necessarily attacking you, just stating how when Christians say they are serious, they see that verse and walk away while whistling with their hands behind their back.

Or, do you follow that command in Luke 14:22? If so, how do you go about it?
What is it? Do you think we are to perform to some standard besides how the Sprit leads us in love? N o wonder you were having trouble. Commit to living in love and seeing how it is working in your life, realizing that any failure is just an opportunity to learn how better to express love in your life.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:26 PM

670 posts, read 644,411 times
"How Serious Are You In Living The Christian Life?"

I do my best to avoid sin and do good for others when ever I am able.
I try my best to follow Christs teachings, for it is not by faith that we are saved but by good works.

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead."-James 2:26

Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 PM

137 posts, read 128,666 times
The commitment to Christ must be total. Death to the life of self. The goal is that we be one with Christ. It works by faith but if is really faith we will do things. We have to take the cross and follow on a daily basis.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What is it? Do you think we are to perform to some standard besides how the Sprit leads us in love? N o wonder you were having trouble. Commit to living in love and seeing how it is working in your life, realizing that any failure is just an opportunity to learn how better to express love in your life.
What did I say that makes you think I'm having trouble? And I think we are to obey the commands as Christ said do, in which He says it shows that you love Him. And Luke 14:22 is a commandment, one of the most explicable He has ever said. In fact, He said if you do not obey that commandment, you you cannot be His disciple.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM

My mistake, I meant Luke 14:33. I guess that's where the confusions stems from! But for some reason, I am unable to edit my post and will have to make this a subsequent post.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM

15,585 posts, read 7,052,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylightMike231 View Post
My mistake, I meant Luke 14:33. I guess that's where the confusions stems from! But for some reason, I am unable to edit my post and will have to make this a subsequent post.
Well that makes some sense. What does "give up" mean in the context? What does "stewardship" entail? What is important to you? You have a good point, but how literally should it be read?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM

7,882 posts, read 6,700,034 times
Sound like the devil sifted Christians , Like when Jesus told Peter that Jesus was praying because the devil was sifting Peter ...... You need to get the baptism of the Holy Spirit , which then all power will come , which is that the power to protect the temple of the Holy spirit , which the Lord abides ............ Then you would have through the authority of the believer by the blood of Jesus to be cleansed of all darkness in which will come back to saved people who do not exercises the gifts of the power to stay cleansed .............. See this power of Christ come with the command that you pray and give the living waters of Christ to others , and then you can stay cleaned through the gifts .............. See through the gifts the prudence in the spirit which discernment through Holy spirit is a must , where in Ephesians 6: 11-18 The anointed scriptures says ``Put on the whole armor of God , that you will be able to stand against the wiles of the devil ...For we wrestle not against flesh and blood , but against principalities, , powers, rulers of darkness, against the spiritual wickedness in the high places ...where for take to you the whole armor of God that you will be able to withstand in the evil day and having done all , to stand ```.................... See when believers prayers trough the authority of the believers then they can bind up demon and loose fallen angels and bind them up and rip them out of your life through the name of Lord Jesus , Which then people can have the liberty of Christ in their salvations and then they can have the passions of love for God which is needed to endure to the end to be saved ..............As then devil is deceptive and can sift saved undefended people right out of the Kingdom of God , where God gifts of protection are there , just need the faith to go and receive ...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or