Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,709,286 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance of mine made up a little two-line poem she used to use to teach her children about salvation. I'm curious as to what you all think of it. It goes like this:

Getting on the train is free.
How far I go is up to me.

What's your final destination? If you're on the train to Heaven, is there only one stop? What blessings will be yours if you decide you want to ride to the end of the line that you'd pass up by getting off just inside the Pearly Gates, so to speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,426,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
An acquaintance of mine made up a little two-line poem she used to use to teach her children about salvation. I'm curious as to what you all think of it. It goes like this:

What's your final destination? If you're on the train to Heaven, is there only one stop? What blessings will be yours if you decide you want to ride to the end of the line that you'd pass up by getting off just inside the Pearly Gates, so to speak?
First line is good, second line is bad.

The way Jesus taught it was...

Getting on the train for free,
'cause Jesus paid the price for me

For salvation has no price,
'cause Jesus is my sacrifice.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,169,921 times
I think it's a great way to say that salvation is a free gift but our good works produce rewards and placement in the kingdom. Everyone will be rewarded according to their works.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I think it's a great way to say that salvation is a free gift but our good works produce rewards and placement in the kingdom. Everyone will be rewarded according to their works.
I wouldn't go that far as "placement and rewards" ...that would be the message of the works righteousness crowd.

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-14-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: forgot n't ...big difference

Old 09-14-2010, 05:53 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,913,875 times
Aren't Jesus' disciples required to deny themselves? Yes, they are -- and it comes through Jesus' grace.

2 Corinthians 12
[9] And he [Jesus] said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM

823 posts, read 1,388,899 times
Quote:

Very interesting Katzpur. I believe that there are many stops on the train ride. I see a starting point with a full train, all of the seats full and people standing in the isles and as that train gets closer to heaven the train has a lot more seating space as many have stopped along the way and taken a detour.

I do believe though, that for those that have stopped and realized they are on the wrong track, another train will come along which they are welcome to hop on as I don't believe the time on the ticket will have expired.

I believe this ride continues on the other side with our final destination in the Celestial Heavens (if we choose). For all of those that stay on the train (on track) they just get there faster than those that took the detour and hopped back on.

I do, however, believe in a few different final destinations and I also believe that we should enjoy the ride

Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
First line is good, second line is bad.

The way Jesus taught it was...

Getting on the train for free,
'cause Jesus paid the price for me

For salvation has no price,
'cause Jesus is my sacrifice.
So, could you tell me what Jesus meant when He said He would "reward every man according to his works"?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Aren't Jesus' disciples required to deny themselves?
I don't think this anything to do with denying ourselves. Of course I believe that's necessary. Aren't we required to be obedient, too? Jesus said, "Ye shall abide in my love if ye keep my commandments." (See John 15:10.) Why didn't He say we will abide in His love "if we believe in Him"?

Hebrews 5:9 also reminds us that Jesus became the author of salvation "unto all them that obey Him." Why doesn't it say instead, "unto all them that believe in Him."

Just some food for thought. I realize that the role of works in our eternal destiny is a hotly debated topic, but you've got to admit that these passages (as well as others I might have posted) imply that our faithfulness does matter to Him.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
So, could you tell me what Jesus meant when He said He would "reward every man according to his works"?
maybe in a different op ....maybe

Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,220,482 times
Default June: Lover of analogies...

Quote:

If you're on the train to Heaven, is there only one stop? What blessings will be yours if you decide you want to ride to the end of the line that you'd pass up by getting off just inside the Pearly Gates, so to speak?
(Not that June would know, but for what it's in all likelihood little worth....)

Somehow, June suspects that it isn't so much a matter of getting on that train, in the sense that one buys a ticket at a train station and embarks for the journey/ride. Rather, June suspects that it is far more realistic to envision those who get on the train, but realistically at times disembark. Those who disembark may do so for any number of reasons: Feeling that they need to engage in whatever activity (either good or bad) only to re-embark upon the train. No doubt many could feel that they have been inadvertantly pushed off the train, only to await the train returning, coming back for them once again. Some may feel that they are, in fact, on that train, but are only listening to the sound of the wheels and the tracks underneath them, without ever truly knowing or hearing otherwise...Some may feel that they have, in fact, been unknowingly run over by that train, when in fact, the reality is the train at some future point will return, for them.

Trains, much like your analogy, are funny things. There are many cars.

Many cars. To any train.

In other words, it's a process, as opposed to a one-way, fast-tracked journey. To think otherwise would only undermind the intent of the power behind the train.

Analogously written by June, but one who knows what she means in her analogous response...

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity