Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

From time to time, I see posts where people say that the New Testament warns us not to listen to "false prophets"? Wouldn't it just have been a lot less confusing if we'd just been warned not to listen to "prophets," period? I don't know of anybody but the LDS who believe that God still speaks to "true prophets." Why weren't we told to beware of "prophets" in general instead of just "false prophets"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
From time to time, I see posts where people say that the New Testament warns us not to listen to "false prophets"? Wouldn't it just have been a lot less confusing if we'd just been warned not to listen to "prophets," period? I don't know of anybody but the LDS who believe that God still speaks to "true prophets." Why weren't we told to beware of "prophets" in general instead of just "false prophets"?
This is an area, of course, that we disagree. Jesus was the culmination of several thousand years of prophesy about the coming of the Messiah. There is no need for any more prophets. Particularly one who discusses an incredible history in the New World without any archeological proof. A work of fiction, aka false. I submit to you that ALL prophets since the resurrection of Jesus have been false.

Last edited by juj; 09-17-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Then why doesn't the Bible say - "there will be NO MORE prophets!" ???

Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Then why doesn't the Bible say - "there will be NO MORE prophets!" ???
Maybe you should read the last sentence in John. (John 21:25)

Last edited by juj; 09-17-2010 at 10:32 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
This is an area, of course, that we disagree. Jesus was the culmination of several thousand years of prophesy about the coming of the Messiah. There is no need for any more prophets. I submit to you that ALL prophets since the resurrection of Jesus have been false.
But in the Old Testament, we're told that God would never do anything without first revealing His intentions to His prophets. It didn't say that this would stop after the coming of Christ. Besides, the role of prophets extends beyond prophesying. A big part of their purpose is to ensure that scripture is understood as it was meant to be understood. Perhaps, had there still been living prophets in the 4th century, there would have been no need for a pagan emperor with a political agenda to call a council to settle the matter of the nature of God. The controversies over Christian doctrine could have been resolved by an appeal to God by the individual He'd chosen to act as His mouthpiece. If the people could have known that there was a prophet to whom God was speaking, the huge controversies such as Arianism would have never gotten so out of hand.

It just seems so unlike God to just suddenly leave His Church without a Prophet when, for four thousand years His people had prophets to guide them. They didn't just have the written word of a prophet who'd lived a thousand or more years earlier. They had a living prophet. To me, the fact that the scriptures warn us against listening to false prophets as opposed to just prophets in general is clearly indicative that God never intended to stop talking.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-17-2010 at 11:07 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should read the last paragraph in John.
I'm afraid I don't see where John says there will be no more prophets. Was this a typo or what?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
I believe there are still people who have the gift of prophecy.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 PM

823 posts, read 1,400,612 times
Excellent post Katzpur! I agree we were meant to keep on trucking

Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good.” ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21

I think we can agree that a statement such as this would be pointless at the near end of the Bible if there were no more prophecies. In fact, why would Jesus ask us to test the prophets if all of them would be false? If all prophets were false then Jesus could simply say “there will be no more true prophets”.

We must test the fruits. Ahhh but to decipher a true prophet from a false prophet that is the million dollar question!

But in every Age when the Messenger came on the scene, there was always something in their teaching which was contrary to the accepted teachings of the church of that Age.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Actually, most charismatic, and many full gospel groups believe in the existence of not only prophets, but also apostles, in this day and age.

Bud

Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Maybe you should read the last sentence in John. (John 21:25)
Okay, I read it.

Once again - Why doesn't the Bible say - No more prophets! ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity