Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times

Advertisements

Seriously! Do you remember the next day what was taught/preached where you attended? Sometimes, I think that what is taught does the in-one-ear-and-out-the-other thing -- way too often. We walk away having learned nothing.

And there are places of worship that teach (or preach) the same thing every weekend, no change. Amazing. So everyone just goes and either listens to the same ol' same ol' or they snooze through it all.

Other places of worship are more interested in getting through the liturgy as soon as possible so everyone can go have lunch. It, then, means nothing or next-to-nothing to those who hear and respond.

So it is really unfair for me to answer my own question here now, since my time of worship was just hours ago, but get this started, I will.
__________________________________________________ ____

While the teacher's handout was on Yom Kippur, the teacher taught about Messiah as High Priest and what He is doing as High Priest. Right now, I am studying the reformed doctrine, so it was very relevant to me.

So this is an opportunity for you to either:
  1. solidify what was taught at your place of worship by retelling it here
  2. see if you can tell us, a day after you went, what was taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Seriously! Do you remember the next day what was taught/preached where you attended? Sometimes, I think that what is taught does the in-one-ear-and-out-the-other thing -- way too often. We walk away having learned nothing.

And there are places of worship that teach (or preach) the same thing every weekend, no change. Amazing. So everyone just goes and either listens to the same ol' same ol' or they snooze through it all.

Other places of worship are more interested in getting through the liturgy as soon as possible so everyone can go have lunch. It, then, means nothing or next-to-nothing to those who hear and respond.

So it is really unfair for me to answer my own question here now, since my time of worship was just hours ago, but get this started, I will.

While the teacher's handout was on Yom Kippur, the teacher taught about Messiah as High Priest and what He is doing as High Priest. Right now, I am studying the reformed doctrine, so it was very relevant to me.

So this is an opportunity for you to either:
  1. solidify what was taught at your place of worship by retelling it here
  2. see if you can tell us, a day after you went, what was taught.

As a Catholic, the "sermon" or what we refer to as the "homliy" is not as intrigal to the whole experience as in other faiths.

Sometimes they're memorable, sometimes they're downright horrible

Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,301 times
I have not attended Church regularly for quite some time as I have not found one in align with my personal beliefs but I do like to attend my youngest sons Church once in a while and I have actually been in attendance the past 2 Sundays. I remember the last two sermons vividly.

Topics were:

1) Muslims wanting to build their mosque near Ground Zero in New York
2) Satan

For me, I get the very most out of Worship with the singing to God, the music, it puts me so into the spirit and often moves me to tears. Its frustrating when your not quite in alignment with the sermon though.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:17 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
From my perspective, the truly memorable sermons (we just call them "talks") are few and far between. Now and then, though, you get one that just blows your mind! Of course, LDS worship services are kind of different in that regard. We do not have a paid clergy and the "bishop" seldom speaks like a pastor or minister of a Protestant Church does. Instead, each week two or three members of the congregation are asked to prepare some remarks on a specific topic. They generally are given from one to three weeks notice. These topics could be anything from charity to scripture study to missionary work to baptism to the Holy Ghost. At least we have a lot of variety, but few of the people who speak are really excellent speakers. For us, though, the main purpose of the worship service is not to hear a sermon but to take the "Sacrament" (which is essentially the same thing as the Lord's Supper, Eucharist, etc.).

Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Every sermon in our church denomination centers on Jesus and him crucified and that it's by faith not works we are forgiven. This week was specifically on 1 & 2 Corinthians.

This week focused on 1 Corinthians, on how that church was admonished by God for being tolerent of sexual perversion of a type that even heathens disapprove of.

Then in 2 Corinthians we're told how the church took it to heart, did church disicpline and how that discipline was fruitfull. The person reconized his sin and was freely forgiven because Christ forgives us freely through his death.

But also in 2 Corinthians a different problem was developing. There was some who thought it not right that this man who tarnished that church, should be forgiven freely and be allowed back without at least proving his sincerity or something to that effect.

So Paul had to remind the church in Corinth that God does not require anybody to prove themselves to be forgiven freely by God when Jesus died for their sins freely. And being that was given to them, they should do the same for this man. Ultimatly this man's forgiveness was granted based on simple repentance based on faith in Jesus as his subsitute, not his own efforts.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
From my perspective, the truly memorable sermons (we just call them "talks") are few and far between. Now and then, though, you get one that just blows your mind! Of course, LDS worship services are kind of different in that regard. We do not have a paid clergy and the "bishop" seldom speaks like a pastor or minister of a Protestant Church does. Instead, each week two or three members of the congregation are asked to prepare some remarks on a specific topic. They generally are given from one to three weeks notice. These topics could be anything from charity to scripture study to missionary work to baptism to the Holy Ghost. At least we have a lot of variety, but few of the people who speak are really excellent speakers. For us, though, the main purpose of the worship service is not to hear a sermon but to take the "Sacrament" (which is essentially the same thing as the Lord's Supper, Eucharist, etc.).
Just curious.

How does your view of the "sacrament" compare to my papist view?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM

95 posts, read 162,484 times
In the Lutheran faith the Sunday readings are the same as those read in Catholic, Anglican and many Protestant churches. So the 3 Bible readings are the old Testament Lesson, an Epistle and the Gospel is identical in many Christian denominations. I mention this because the sermon is generally on the Gospel reading of that particular Sunday. The sermon prepares the congregation for what follows: the holy Eucharist.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM

Glad to see your responses! Maybe we can chat in between, as I see some of you are doing. Great!

Oakback writes that some of the homilies are "memorable, sometimes they're downright horrible". Okay. I have only been to a RCatholic church once, and that was a wedding. I had no clue. Why are they so bad?

SisKat, Do they usually just stick with political and(/or ) scary themes?

Katzpur, there are no teaching by those who have gone to school for the purpose? Do you have favorite teachers?

twin.spin, that subject in 1 Corinthians is surprising to some, isn't it. We sometimes expect those brought up in the Bible to be great examples to us, but it isn't always that way. Some people are there to show us the other side and how to handle it.

What is "sacrament" to any of you who use the term in your places of worship?

Who normally teaches in your places of worship?

How many leaders do you have -- for some examples:
One leader alone, called a
_________. To his/her face, I use the title ______.
More than one leader, called _____. To their faces, I call them __________.
A leader and some ministers.
A leader and some deacons.
A leader and the board.
Other:

Does your place of worship to preaching or teaching at your main public-worship times?
__________________________________________________ _____________

My answers:
What is "sacrament" to any of you who use the term in your places of worship? We never use the term.

Who normally teaches in your places of worship? One of the leaders.

[b]How many leaders do you have -- for some examples:
More than one leader, called (in English, a teacher[b]. To their faces, I call them by their first names with no titles.

Does your place of worship to preaching or teaching at your main public-worship times? Teaching

Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM

95 posts, read 162,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Glad to see your responses! Maybe we can chat in between, as I see some of you are doing. Great!

Oakback writes that some of the homilies are "memorable, sometimes they're downright horrible". Okay. I have only been to a RCatholic church once, and that was a wedding. I had no clue. Why are they so bad?

SisKat, Do they usually just stick with political and(/or ) scary themes?

Katzpur, there are no teaching by those who have gone to school for the purpose? Do you have favorite teachers?

twin.spin, that subject in 1 Corinthians is surprising to some, isn't it. We sometimes expect those brought up in the Bible to be great examples to us, but it isn't always that way. Some people are there to show us the other side and how to handle it.

What is "sacrament" to any of you who use the term in your places of worship?

Who normally teaches in your places of worship?

How many leaders do you have -- for some examples:
One leader alone, called a
_________. To his/her face, I use the title ______.
More than one leader, called _____. To their faces, I call them __________.
A leader and some ministers.
A leader and some deacons.
A leader and the board.
Other:

Does your place of worship to preaching or teaching at your main public-worship times?
__________________________________________________ _____________

My answers:
What is "sacrament" to any of you who use the term in your places of worship? We never use the term.

Who normally teaches in your places of worship? One of the leaders.

[b]How many leaders do you have -- for some examples:
More than one leader, called (in English, a teacher[b]. To their faces, I call them by their first names with no titles.

Does your place of worship to preaching or teaching at your main public-worship times? Teaching
A sacrament is defined as a holy action that Christ instituted. Most notably the Holy Communion or also called the Mass or Eucharist is the reenactment of the Last Supper Christ had with his apostles before he was crucified. The sacrament is the most common action of the church and is celebrated each Sunday. Baptism is also a sacrament since Christ was baptized by St John the Baptist. For Lutherans, holy Absolution or private confession is a sacrament but not widely utilized. Sacramental rites include confirmation, marriage, ordination or holy orders, unction or anointing with oil for healing. The Catholic church calls all 7 sacraments.

Preaching in church is exclusively the right of the clergy. I have never heard a layman or laywoman preach during the service but the readings from the old Testament and Epistle is sometimes read by a lay person. A pastor, deacon or bishop preach but only a pastor\ priest or bishop can consecrate the holy communion, absolves sins and baptize.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Thank you, Shrimpboat. I lived in the Land o' Lakes . . . er, I mean Lutherans some years ago but never went to a Lutheran church. I did, however, enjoy their music on the radio! Some of the best of classical Christian, which I enjoy. And back there, they were then also known for their "hot diches" and "Watergate Salad"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity