Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:15 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

This is not supposed to be a debate of any kind. I am simply looking for accurate information.

I have a small desk calendar that contains some interesting trivia every day of the year. Most of this trivia concerns odd customs, etc. from centuries ago. It seems like three-quarters of them start out by mentioning a Catholic saint who is a patron of some or other group of people. Some of them are really wild, like patron saint of washer women or patron saint of street cleaners. I know there are a lot of Catholic saints, even though I personally know the names of only a few. It seems like nowadays, though, when someone is officially made a "Saint," it's pretty big news. It's definitely not something that happens every day. I understand there are a lot of requirements, including the verification of miracles they were said to have performed. My question is, did all of these relatively unknown saints (literally hundreds of them) from centuries past become saints through this same arduous process? Or does the Church today have a higher standard when it comes to canonizing someone? And are most Catholics today knowledgable about all of these people, or just the really prominent ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This is not supposed to be a debate of any kind. I am simply looking for accurate information.

I have a small desk calendar that contains some interesting trivia every day of the year. Most of this trivia concerns odd customs, etc. from centuries ago. It seems like three-quarters of them start out by mentioning a Catholic saint who is a patron of some or other group of people. Some of them are really wild, like patron saint of washer women or patron saint of street cleaners. I know there are a lot of Catholic saints, even though I personally know the names of only a few. It seems like nowadays, though, when someone is officially made a "Saint," it's pretty big news. It's definitely not something that happens every day. I understand there are a lot of requirements, including the verification of miracles they were said to have performed. My question is, did all of these relatively unknown saints (literally hundreds of them) from centuries past become saints through this same arduous process? Or does the Church today have a higher standard when it comes to canonizing someone? And are most Catholics today knowledgable about all of these people, or just the really prominent ones?
I have a book of Saints in my library. Your right, there are HUNDREDS.

Frankly I don't know if the process has always been the same.

Good question though. Perhaps another papist will chime in.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I have a book of Saints in my library. Your right, there are HUNDREDS.
In my church there are millions! They're all of the "latter-day" variety, though.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
In my church there are millions! They're all of the "latter-day" variety, though.
It really is a matter of linguistics.
One could argue, we are all 'saints".

I think many misinterpret the whole canonization thing. I believe that the Church is merely holding certain humans up as an example for us all.

Not unlike any person of distinction. Be they great leaders, polititians, heros etc..

Frankly, there are many non-catholics who I'd vote in.
Martin Luther King would be a good example.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
doesn't their deceased body have to be determined to be incorrupt? just wondering...

Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Quote:

RESPONSE:

Formal canonization only began in 1234 AD. Saints before that were generally made by popular acclaim.

(Augustine probably wouldn't have nade it otherwise).

Pope John Paul II canonizated a heap of people.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
doesn't their deceased body have to be determined to be incorrupt? just wondering...
incorrupt?

not sure what you mean.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 PM

95 posts, read 162,463 times
It's an interesting question of how the Catholic church determines sainthood that I have no information on. Other Christians also have saints day or holy days that are rarely observed unless a parish is large enough to have services during the week. On occasion a saint is the focus on Sundays though not often; recently St Mary, Mother of our Lord was the Sunday celebration in my church. A look at the Lutheran calendar shows lots of saints, most are very old but not all. It was great to see that Martin Luther King is celebrated on the church year but not necessarily called a saint.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:42 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Formal canonization only began in 1234 AD. Saints before that were generally made by popular acclaim.
Yes exactly. There were a few who probably should not have been saints, but were kings who converted their country to Christianity so had the popular acclaim. Like I seem to recall St. Vladimir, or maybe Olga of Kiev, was really pretty brutal. I think sometimes nobles who funded church charities got deemed saints regardless of how they lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
(Augustine probably wouldn't have made it otherwise).
Oh I disagree on this choice. Whatever Augustine's faults he was a theologian of enormous significance.

Technically speaking anyone in heaven is a saint. Declared saints, in our age, I think of as being about a process where God confirms someone is in Heaven. (As Orthodoxy believes in "soul sleep" until the Second Coming I guess it's more about role-models for them)

Old 09-21-2010, 12:14 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,922 times
Oakback,here's the definition: Incorrupt Bodies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity