Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 10:08 PM

215 posts, read 211,061 times

Advertisements

Hey yall.I was having a conversation with a friend of mine and the subject of the convo turned to Scripturally sanctioned marriages.He had one that kind of stumped me,and I was wondering what other Bible believers opinion was on this.I'll try to word it as closely my friend worded it.Okay here it is:There is a young man named "Aaron" who is aged 23.Aaron's father,"Lee"marries another woman named "Sylvia" who is 48 (the same age as Aaron's father) five years after his wife and Aaron's biological mother "Janice" dies of a disease. Unfortunately,Aarons father dies in an auto accident just two years after marrying Sylvia.This leaves only Aaron and Sylvia to console their losses.Eventually,Aaron and Sylvia fall in love and get married three years after Lee had died!

After describing this scenario my asks if this marriage is sanctioned.I say it is not sanctioned because in the Old Testament it was commanded not to marry your fathers wife.In Leviticus I believe.He then responds to my answer and says it is okay because as a Christian the Levitical laws are not bound to Christians.I then say but what about the concept of "honor" as a basis for not allowing a relationship with your stepmother.He then responds again and says that the Old Testament/Ancient Near Eastern concept of "honor and shame" is also at play and maybe that was one reason you couldn't marry your deceased father's wife.

There is an occurrence of a believer in one of Paul's established ecclesia where a man was apparently in a relationship with his stepmother,but I think the father was still alive and that was more of an adultery case so to speak.He then responds by saying that Abrahams dad married his own full-blooded biological aunt if I remember correctly.I could be wrong on that though.

Whether,this was based on a person my friend knew I do not know.LOL.But at any rate,whats your take on all this.I look forward to hearing from you.Peace….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 11:09 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,790,608 times
The bonds of matrimony are dissolved at the death of a spouse.

Silvia was Aaron's ”stepmother” only so long as Lee and Silvia were alive and married to each other. Once Lee died, Silvia was no longer Aaron's ”stepmother”.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,176,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
The bonds of matrimony are dissolved at the death of a spouse.

Silvia was Aaron's ”stepmother” only so long as Lee and Silvia were alive and married to each other. Once Lee died, Silvia was no longer Aaron's ”stepmother”.
yes

Old 03-17-2021, 02:52 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Hey yall.I was having a conversation with a friend of mine and the subject of the convo turned to Scripturally sanctioned marriages.He had one that kind of stumped me,and I was wondering what other Bible believers opinion was on this.I'll try to word it as closely my friend worded it.Okay here it is:There is a young man named "Aaron" who is aged 23.Aaron's father,"Lee"marries another woman named "Sylvia" who is 48 (the same age as Aaron's father) five years after his wife and Aaron's biological mother "Janice" dies of a disease. Unfortunately,Aarons father dies in an auto accident just two years after marrying Sylvia.This leaves only Aaron and Sylvia to console their losses.Eventually,Aaron and Sylvia fall in love and get married three years after Lee had died!

After describing this scenario my asks if this marriage is sanctioned.I say it is not sanctioned because in the Old Testament it was commanded not to marry your fathers wife.In Leviticus I believe.He then responds to my answer and says it is okay because as a Christian the Levitical laws are not bound to Christians.I then say but what about the concept of "honor" as a basis for not allowing a relationship with your stepmother.He then responds again and says that the Old Testament/Ancient Near Eastern concept of "honor and shame" is also at play and maybe that was one reason you couldn't marry your deceased father's wife.

There is an occurrence of a believer in one of Paul's established ecclesia where a man was apparently in a relationship with his stepmother,but I think the father was still alive and that was more of an adultery case so to speak.He then responds by saying that Abrahams dad married his own full-blooded biological aunt if I remember correctly.I could be wrong on that though.

Whether,this was based on a person my friend knew I do not know.LOL.But at any rate,whats your take on all this.I look forward to hearing from you.Peace….
When a man dies his wife is no longer married to him. I see no issue with this, other than [perhaps some obvious psychological issues, or perhaps some marital issues that may result of such a drastic age difference.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:14 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post

Jehovah's people today of course are under a new commandment, the only requirement that I am aware of for Christians, is to marry only in the Lord 1 Cor 7:39. They would not accept a marriage mate who was not a fellow Christian.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Jehovah's people today of course are under a new commandment, the only requirement that I am aware of for Christians, is to marry only in the Lord 1 Cor 7:39. They would not accept a marriage mate who was not a fellow Christian.
God never commanded that, you are merely going with the perception of other men.
Whereas, a woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives; male dominance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity