Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 01:37 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times

Advertisements

Jesus claims the son is the resurrection or has been raised from the dead. That is is why He said to be freed by the son.

As it is written; “I am the resurrection and the life.”

“If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.”

“Anyone who hears my word and believes in the one who sent me possess eternal life. He does not come under condemnation but has passed from death to life.”

Notice in the previous verse Jesus says the individual passes from death to life. That is a resurrection. This individual would have to believe as Jesus described believing and that is to do the works He did by becoming the son, the servant of God.

It’s not likely you’re buying into this since you don’t believe in me.

If you believe in me you’ll understand, otherwise no.

Any chance you have an interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 01:44 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,317,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Jesus claims the son is the resurrection or has been raised from the dead. That is is why He said to be freed by the son.

As it is written; “I am the resurrection and the life.”

“If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.”

“Anyone who hears my word and believes in the one who sent me possess eternal life. He does not come under condemnation but has passed from death to life.”

Notice in the previous verse Jesus says the individual passes from death to life. That is a resurrection. This individual would have to believe as Jesus described believing and that is to do the works He did by becoming the son, the servant of God.

It’s not likely you’re buying into this since you don’t believe in me.

If you believe in me you’ll understand, otherwise no.

Any chance you have an interest?
I'm with you until it comes to how these works Jesus talks about are done.

He tells us what must be done, but notice, He doesn't tell us how to do them.

He left that for someone else to teach us!

Jesus called this person, "my chosen vessel."

Have any idea who it is?

Old 01-24-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I'm with you until it comes to how these works Jesus talks about are done.

He tells us what must be done, but notice, He doesn't tell us how to do them.

He left that for someone else to teach us!

Jesus called this person, "my chosen vessel."

Have any idea who it is?
I know you think it was Paul. Jesus did say how to do them.

As it is written; “ I have given them the words you gave me and they have accepted them....”

“As the Father sent me so I send you.”

“The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing Hisworks.”

Notice the words are the works!

Old 01-24-2021, 02:08 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
John 5:24 Anyone who hears my word and believes in the one who sent me possess eternal life. He does not come under condemnation but has passed from death to life.

''But has passed from death to life'' is not a reference to resurrection. Resurrection is a future event which refers to the physical resurrection of the body. In that future event, the soul and spirit of those who have died will be reunited with their resurrected and transformed bodies never to die again.

The reference to passing from death to life refers to a spiritual rebirth. It's a reference to eternal life.

''Has passed'' - μεταβέβηκεν in the Greek is perfect tense, indicative case, active voice. The perfect tense refers to past action completed with ongoing results.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
John 5:24 Anyone who hears my word and believes in the one who sent me possess eternal life. He does not come under condemnation but has passed from death to life.

''But has passed from death to life'' is not a reference to resurrection. Resurrection is a future event which refers to the physical resurrection of the body. In that future event, the soul and spirit of those who have died will be reunited with their resurrected and transformed bodies never to die again.

The reference to passing from death to life refers to a spiritual rebirth. It's a reference to eternal life.

''Has passed'' - μεταβέβηκεν in the Greek is perfect tense, indicative case, active voice. The perfect tense refers to past action completed with ongoing results.

It is metaphorical. It is a resurrection of the spirit. Jesus was all about the spirit.

Jesus never indicated there was a physical resurrection.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
It is metaphorical. It is a resurrection of the spirit. Jesus was all about the spirit.

What do you mean? He was physically resurrected himself! He appeared to His Apostles as a resurrected being and proved it by having them touch his hands and feet. Do you think He was just messing with them?

Old 01-24-2021, 02:34 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:

What Katz just said in post #6.

The Jews who believed in resurrection (not all Jews did) believed that there would be a general, physical resurrection at the end of time. No one expected the resurrection of a single individual in the middle of human history. This is why Jesus' disciples didn't understand him when he told them that he must die and be raised on the third day. Jesus' resurrection was bodily and physical and he went out of his way to demonstrate that fact to his disciples

Old 01-24-2021, 02:45 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,317,873 times
Quote:
I know you think it was Paul. Jesus did say how to do them.

As it is written; “ I have given them the words you gave me and they have accepted them....”

“As the Father sent me so I send you.”

“The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing Hisworks.”

Notice the words are the works!
I beg to differ my friend. Paul is the one who tells us how these works are done by the Spirit.

We are free from the Law, we no longer are bound by doing!

It's the Holy Spirit that performs the opportunity for our works, we just do what He has laid out for us.

God will not accept anything we do without the Holy Spirit having given it to us.

Rom. 8:3-4

"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Walking after the Spirit, being subject to Him and not doing anything of our own ability, but being willing to do what He wants and lays in our path, is how we fulfill the Law.

Jesus did what we could not do, He kept the Law perfectly that by faith in Him, the Holy Spirit will fulfill the Law in us by walking in the spirit.

This is God's way, if you do it of your own or any other way, it will be rejected.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What do you mean? He was physically resurrected himself! He appeared to His Apostles as a resurrected being and proved it by having them touch his hands and feet. Do you think He was just messing with them?
I’m just saying He indicated there was a spiritual resurrection but never actually said we would be resurrected after our physical death. Scripture does say that life is God’s word and it lives forever which one can conclude that eternal life is only by God’s word.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I beg to differ my friend. Paul is the one who tells us how these works are done by the Spirit.

We are free from the Law, we no longer are bound by doing!

It's the Holy Spirit that performs the opportunity for our works, we just do what He has laid out for us.

God will not accept anything we do without the Holy Spirit having given it to us.

Rom. 8:3-4

"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Walking after the Spirit, being subject to Him and not doing anything of our own ability, but being willing to do what He wants and lays in our path, is how we fulfill the Law.

Jesus did what we could not do, He kept the Law perfectly that by faith in Him, the Holy Spirit will fulfill the Law in us by walking in the spirit.

This is God's way, if you do it of your own or any other way, it will be rejected.
I tell you what Jesus said and you say no. Paul says this. Come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity