Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
"Most Christians?" Where did you get this information? Was it a legitimate survey or what?

Well, I'm a Christian and I knew this.

So "most Christians" means most Christians you've talked to personally?
Sorry, I guess what I meant was most fundamentalist christians i've talked too. It probably isn't even MOST Christians that feel that way.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
Yes- you can control who you have sex with. THAT is an action. But your desire for who and whom with- that you can NOT control THAT is who you are, so I'm not sure why you are speaking as if homosexuality and the act of sex are one in the same. They are not. Homosexuality is NOT AN ACTION. Nor is it a choice, or lifestyle. IT IS WHO SOMEONE IS. Someone can be homosexual without EVER having sex. An example:

Let's imagine a guy who was born homosexual (or if you refuse to acknowledge that this is how people are born, then for argument's sake we can say they were born with, or grew up to learn he has an undeniable attraction and strong desire to be close to/intimate with someone of the same sex). But let's say he had the misfortune of being raised by horrible, insensitive parents who constantly shoved religion and hellfire preaching down his throat and taught him that things like homosexuality was very sinful and "wrong". And so no doubt he grew up all screwed up, scared and confused, so let's suppose he never came out of the closet, never admitted he was gay- not to mention because he was afraid of going to hell, he also never engaged in homosexual sex. Is he still a homosexual? YES. He is STILL HOMOSEXUAL! And is certainly no better of for denying himself the life that he was meant to live, not some shallow and empty existence- which is what he will endure if he cannot find intimacy and love with a partner of his choosing.

How about this: a nun doesn't ever engage in sex- some never even have, even before joining their convents. Are they not heterosexuals? Or even lesbians, which I have no doubt that some are? Of course. Just because someone does or doesn't engage in sex, that doesn't change their orientation or who they are. If I'm born left handed but my whole life was forced to write with my right hand- I'm still left handed.

Is the light bulb going on yet?!

My light bulb has been on this entire time in regard to this topic. I have never said that a person can't be gay. If a person is sexually attracted to the same sex and not to the opposite sex, then it's quite obvious that this person is gay or lesbian.

I don't know if someone can be born gay or not. There is no scientific study that has been proven to identify a person as gay or straight at the moment that person is born. I do think that people fall into a spectrum. Some of us are 100% straight, some are bisexual, some are non sexual, some are 100% gay, and perhaps some of us are little bit of this and that.

But for argument's sake, let's just say that if a person is born gay, but has read the bible about what God has commanded in regard to having sex. Then I hate to say this, but that person has to make a choice, either be obedient to God and choose to be celibate since the bible makes it clear that any sex outside of a heterosexual marriage is a sin or fornication: all of which falls into gay sex, sex with animals, heterosexual sex outside of marriage ect, or choose to live a life of sin and commit an abomination as the bible clearly teaches, and that's been my whole point!

Last edited by antredd; 09-28-2010 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My light bulb has been on this entire time in regard to this topic. I have never said that a person can't be gay. If a person is sexually attracted to the same sex and not to the opposite sex, then it's quite obvious that this person is gay or lesbian.

I don't know if someone can be born gay or not. There is no scientific study that has been proven to identify a person as gay or straight at the moment that person is born. I do think that people fall into a spectrum. Some of us are 100% straight, some are bisexual, some are non sexual, some are 100% gay, and perhaps some of us are little bit of this and that.

But for argument's sake, let's just say that if a person is born gay, but has read the bible about what God has commanded in regard to having sex. Then I hate to say this, but that person has to make a choice, either be obedient to God and choose to be celibate since the bible makes it clear that any sex outside of a heterosexual marriage is sin be it fornication, gay sex, sex with animals ect, or choose to live a life of sin and commit an abomination as the bible clearly teaches, and that's been my whole point!
en I hate to say this, but that person has to make a choice, either be obedient to God and choose to be celibate since the bible makes it clear that any sex outside of a heterosexual marriage is sin be it fornication, gay sex, sex with animals ect, or choose to live a life of sin and commit an abomination as the bible clearly teaches, and that's been my whole point!

Um, firstly we are real people, the Bible is a book. I'm not going to go through my whole life being unhappy because a storm god created in the minds of people that lived thousands of year ago can POSSIBLY be interpreted to feel a certain way. Real people trump mythological deities in importance

Secondly, gay people CAN get married. The Bible does not mention homosexuality as a sexual orientation WHAT so EVER anyway (not that it matters). The only references to homosexuality are about temple prostitution.

Also heterosexual people (the majority) wrote the myths that are in the bible. Thusly, it was written BY from a BIASED point of view anyway. Imagine if things were reversed and you were told by a religious group that because you are born straight than you are not to marry or EVER have sex.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
en I hate to say this, but that person has to make a choice, either be obedient to God and choose to be celibate since the bible makes it clear that any sex outside of a heterosexual marriage is sin be it fornication, gay sex, sex with animals ect, or choose to live a life of sin and commit an abomination as the bible clearly teaches, and that's been my whole point!

Um, firstly we are real people, the Bible is a book. I'm not going to go through my whole life being unhappy because a storm god created in the minds of people that lived thousands of year ago can POSSIBLY be interpreted to feel a certain way. Real people trump mythological deities in importance

Secondly, gay people CAN get married. The Bible does not mention homosexuality as a sexual orientation WHAT so EVER anyway (not that it matters). The only references to homosexuality are about temple prostitution.
I gave you my spin on it. You can believe as you choose. But all of us sin, and fall short. I do understand that, I get that, but thank God that some of us would rather not be selfish and live for God instead of our own lusts and desires.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:

Also heterosexual people (the majority) wrote the myths that are in the bible. Thusly, it was written BY from a BIASED point of view anyway. Imagine if things were reversed and you were told by a religious group that because you are born straight than you are not to marry or EVER have sex.
We know EXACTLY how you feel so what is the point in continuing this?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:

As I read the title of this thread, you seem to assume that Christians are ignorant about who or what a homosexual is. I clearly understand that if you are attracted to the same sex, that's not a choice that's who you are. I get that. I don't have a problem with that definition. But have you ever just thought about the fact that there are christian homosexuals who are not engaging in the act of gay sex, because of their faith, and devotion to their God?

Have you thought about that perhaps these same gay Christians would rather live a life of celibacy as a means of glorifying God since they can't have sex with the opposite sex due to who they are, and that by living a Godly life by not engaging on that sexual urge to sleep with the same sex is a way of just simply being obedient to what God's word teaches?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
As I read the title of this thread, you seem to assume that Christians are ignorant about who or what a homosexual is. I clearly understand that if you are attracted to the same sex, that's not a choice that's who you are. I get that. I don't have a problem with that definition. But have you ever just thought about the fact that there are christian homosexuals who are not engaging in the act of gay sex, because of their faith, and devotion to their God?

Have you thought about that perhaps these same gay Christians would rather live a life of celibacy as a means of glorifying God since they can't have sex with the opposite sex due to who they are, and that by living a Godly life by not engaging on that sexual urge to sleep with the same sex is a way of just simply being obedient to what God's word teaches?
Right and think about Christians who never marry and are virgins. They aren't giving into their fleshly desires. I forgot, the OP wants to be happy and his happiness is more important than obeying God.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Right and think about Christians who never marry and are virgins. They aren't giving into their fleshly desires. I forgot, the OP wants to be happy and his happiness is more important than obeying God.
I think you would feel vastly different on the subject if you were gay. I think you would feel vastly different if you were the one who was told that you could either live a life without true love and God would love you - or you could experience love but you would rot in hell for all eternity. I, personally, don't think God would be that unfair and cruel.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think you would feel vastly different on the subject if you were gay. I think you would feel vastly different if you were the one who was told that you could either live a life without true love and God would love you - or you could experience love but you would rot in hell for all eternity. I, personally, don't think God would be that unfair and cruel.
If I knew that I was willfully sinning against the maker of heaven and earth, I would stop and do anything to please Him. I love God more than anything. He is #1. God's love is way better than love from humans.

Jesus said “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me."

Old 09-29-2010, 12:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
If I knew that I was willfully sinning against the maker of heaven and earth, I would stop and do anything to please Him. I love God more than anything. He is #1. God's love is way better than love from humans.

Jesus said “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me."
Would you give up your spouse and your children? Why would God ever want you to? I think, if God exists, he wants us to be happy. Could you truly ever have a happy life with out your spouse or your children? Why would God let you have a spouse and children but not others. Like I said, I don't think God would be that cruel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity