Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,434,023 times

Advertisements

Alta Jacko is the mother of eight children. She is also an ordained priest in the Roman Catholic Church. Jacko, 81, who earned her master's degree in pastoral studies from Loyola University, a Jesuit Catholic school, says that being a priest is what she was called to do.

Read more: The Push to Ordain Women Priests Gains Ground - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 AM

478 posts, read 770,110 times
GOOD for her- this is very positive news! Now I'm no fan of the catholic church, and have trouble understanding why any woman would take an interest in a church that has so many issues that are completely contrary to women's (and basic human) rights...but no matter, I am just glad that there are people like her out there who will stop at nothing to live their dream, and do which they believe they are destined to do. Not to mention I can respect any woman who does this knowing that there are still quite a few out-of-touch croneys and backwards old-bats who will no doubt give her a bad time the whole way through...but it does appear that she has a lot of support that she didn't expect. I wish her the best!

Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 AM

4,435 posts, read 4,850,003 times
The Vatican's Pontifical Biblical Commission in 1976 concluded that there is nothing to prohibit women's ordination in the bible.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 AM

We can no longer use the tyranny of ancient cultural conventions to determine the role of women in the Catholic Church today. A church which does not give full and equal recognition to all its members – male and female – is breathing with only one lung.
Doctrine was not written in bronze, but was a living, evolving organism. The Church which is us needs to redesign the minstry in the church, in order to incorporate the gifts, wisdom and expertise of the entire faith community, male and female.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,472,309 times
Women priests do not exist in any of the Eastern Orthodox Churches. There is also no evidence it is supported by the majority of the world's Catholics. There is no text in Vatican II that mentions it is now allowed. I do not think there is a clear reference in support of it from the Ante-Nicene Fathers or the Bible.

That many American and Western European Catholics want to believe "I give the most money so I should make the rules" or "I am the Church and I can remake Catholicism to suit me and my values" is sad, but not meaningful. Women priests are not going to happen and Time Magazine, like most media, does not understand religion.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled theological modernist festival already in progress

Old 09-27-2010, 10:42 PM

95 posts, read 161,863 times
I think the adjustment to women priests is a gradual thing. I know a few women who are Lutheran clergy; a deaconess and a pastor. Both are humble and articulate representatives of God and I am grateful to know them and learn from these faithful women. The transition of allowing female priests has been going on in the Anglican and Lutheran churches for several decades. There still is strong opposition among some Anglican and Lutheran groups but the argument against female clergy is weak and contrary to the intent of the Christian faith in my opinion. I also know a Dominican nun who would be a wonderful priest and only wish she will be some day.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,472,309 times
He was overly harsh. However it is true that the Anglican and the Lutheran denominations that have women priests are generally in greater decline than Catholicism. If you factor in growth in Asia and Africa Catholicism is actually pretty stable. So it's unclear why Catholics should, even from a practical standpoint, copy ideas from declining denominations.

In general men are less religious than women. In addition the majority of Catholics in religious orders are women. So why Catholics should intentionally make men even less a part of the religious life, because that is what would happen, is also unclear.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Women priests do not exist in any of the Eastern Orthodox Churches. There is also no evidence it is supported by the majority of the world's Catholics. There is no text in Vatican II that mentions it is now allowed. I do not think there is a clear reference in support of it from the Ante-Nicene Fathers or the Bible.

That many American and Western European Catholics want to believe "I give the most money so I should make the rules" or "I am the Church and I can remake Catholicism to suit me and my values" is sad, but not meaningful. Women priests are not going to happen and Time Magazine, like most media, does not understand religion.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled theological modernist festival already in progress
Women priests do not exist in any of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

So what, who cares, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China

There is also no evidence it is supported by the majority of the world's Catholics.

And where is your evidence that an all male clergy is supported by the majority of the world's Catholics?

There is no text in Vatican II that mentions it is now allowed.

And your point is?

I do not think there is a clear reference in support of it from the Ante-Nicene Fathers or the Bible.

I don't recall Jesus making any men priest either
And I also do not see where it is forbidden to have women priest in the gospels.

That many American and Western European Catholics want to believe "I give the most money so I should make the rules"

Source please or is that your own personal opinion?

"I am the Church and I can remake Catholicism to suit me and my values"

More personal thoughts?

Women priests are not going to happen

It already has

Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 AM

You know Thomas I find it quite ironic that you suggest that "That many American and Western European Catholics want to believe "I give the most money so I should make the rules""

When in fact it is wealthy conservative Catholics that are the ones trying to influence the Church and also the political climate here in the United States,Thomas Monaghan comes to mind
Ave Maria Catholic University - New Town of Ave Maria, Florida - Southwest Florida Online

Old 09-30-2010, 06:55 AM

Monaham sold his pizza business for $1,000,000.00 and said he was going to use the money to get people into Heaven by getting them to think the way he does.
Now that is down right scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity