Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
aionios zoe makes sense in every verse it is used instead of "eternal life". Furthermore the word 'eternal' DOES NOT make sense in every verse where it is used.
Here is a link that demontrates that fact in every case.
COMPARATIVE CONCORDANCE
Comparative Concordance of how the Greek words aion and aionios are translated in various Bible translations

Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Just curious, who here has read Arthur Pink's "The Sovereignty of God"?

The Sovereignty of God

It is illuminating, even though it is from the Calvinist perspective.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Here is a link that demontrates that fact in every case.
COMPARATIVE CONCORDANCE
Comparative Concordance of how the Greek words aion and aionios are translated in various Bible translations
Yes I've gone through that a couple years ago. From the link, this is the hypothesis:

EON ( aiwn ), the noun;
EON or AGE; an indefinite period.
All eons, however long or short, have a beginning and an end.
Eon cannot mean eternity, for the plural would be absurd.
Eonian is the adjective form. An adjective cannot have a greater force than its noun.
Therefore, if aion/eon means an indefinite period of time, aionios/eonian cannot mean eternity, eternal or for ever.

This can then be proved correct by objectively examining every usage of the word aion and aionios. NOTE it is important to do this study objectively (without any preconceived bias about hell) if you want to determine the truth.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Excellent summation, Lego.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Quote:

The Sovereignty of God

One of my all-time favorites.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,406,855 times
Post Arthur pink

Quote:

The Sovereignty of God

I'm aware of some of its content and I understand it is very good in proving God's sovereignty.

legoman, here is a good rebuttle showing, in seven chapters, where Arthur Pink went wrong.
I don't know if you know about this one.

A Reply to "Universalism Refuted" - Part One

You can access the next chapter at the bottom of each page.

Last edited by rodgertutt; 11-30-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
I'm aware of some of its content and I understand it is very good in proving God's sovereignty.
Yes, that it does. Definitely worth a read, but he does make some logical errors (its Calvinism after all!).

Quote:
legoman, here is good rebuttle showing, in seven chapters, where Arthur Pink went wrong.
I don't know if you know about this one.

A Reply to "Universalism Refuted" - Part One

You can access the next chapter at the bottom of each page.
Yes I have read it in the past. And of course Arthur Pink goes wrong where all go wrong - He doesn't understand the words 'eternal', 'hell', etc, 'all' does not mean 'all', etc; he doesn't understand God's loving nature; his pride gets in the way because he assumes he is one of the lucky ones; and worst of all he thinks God derives 'glory' from the endless torment of others. This is where the Calvinism comes in, and where Calvinism falls apart...

Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
And the more you write Finn, the more it is obvious that you desire most of humanity, and anyone who does not believe the way that you do, to be tortured for ever ...

The thought of countless billions of humans being tortured for ever obviously doesn't bother you in the slightest. Instead, you obviously believe it is a good thing, and that you in truth do not have the slightest understanding of what it means to love your neighbor, much less what it means to love your enemies.

God will deal with your hate in due time ...
Sigh....the judgment..... you say I am hateful and unloving because I believe the Bible.....some things never change. Are you loving? Is this how you show it?

Your desire, or my desire won't save anyone. Do you really think that if you desire something, then it becomes the reality?

I know I am right about this, and the Holy Spirity confirms me of it, but assuming one is right and the other one is wrong:

- If I am wrong, then everyone will be saved. That's wonderful.

- If you are wrong, everyone who listened to you will be lost forever.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Yes I have read it in the past. And of course Arthur Pink goes wrong where all go wrong - He doesn't understand the words 'eternal', 'hell', etc, 'all' does not mean 'all', etc; he doesn't understand God's loving nature; his pride gets in the way because he assumes he is one of the lucky ones; and worst of all he thinks God derives 'glory' from the endless torment of others. This is where the Calvinism comes in, and where Calvinism falls apart...
Hmmm....pick the sections you like, and toss the rest. I know people who read the Bible that way, so why not other books too.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Hmmm....pick the sections you like, and toss the rest. I know people who read the Bible that way, so why not other books too.
Maybe you should read it first Finn. Maybe you'll realize we don't have free will and become a Calvinist, since you seem to accept things blindly without reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity