Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM

193 posts, read 534,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Sorry but it's not God putting a burden on you, you're putting it on yourself. There's nothing in the Bible that says we have to marry and have children....as a matter of fact, a life of purity and celibacy is very pleasing to God. Maybe you're having premarital sex and your conscience is bothering you? Date, enjoy your life and relax a little.
No premarital sex involved here. In fact, the idea of sex sometimes makes me squeamish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,249 times
I do not think God would want you to get married when you do not want to, because it would be living a lie.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,958,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
People go to hell because they deny Him.
Really? Where is a Bible verse that says that?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
I doubt that is God talking to you...Sounds like you need to listen to the voice of reason right now

Old 10-07-2010, 09:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,617,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktanner View Post
No premarital sex involved here. In fact, the idea of sex sometimes makes me squeamish.
Then embrace your celibacy!!! It's very freeing to live a pure life....no pressure or worries about pleasing someone else, only God. I highly recommend it. God would never tell you to do something that goes against your nature...quite the opposite actually. Maybe you're feeling pressure from family or peers but you have to do what is right for you. And it sounds as though marriage is not for you. Not at this point in your life. Love who you are and the rest will fall into place.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Are you sure its not your mom or dad putting these thoughts in your head?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM

223 posts, read 268,822 times
Any God that claimed to be love, while simultaneously pressuring you to marry someone even if you don't love them is out and out evil and whether the great creator or not shouldn't be worshipped.

Fortunately I don't think that's God telling you that stuff at all. I thikn it's societal pressure from your over zealous christian peers.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,756,833 times
Quote:

Maybe you should refer to post #3 ... And post #10 ... I think they may be on to something ...

Peace ...

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,309 times
Quote:
Yes, I honestly do believe God is pressuring me to marry and have children.
You know it is not true.

Quote:

I don't feel any peace when it comes to dating and marriage.
So you are in a hurry to find Mr/Mrs right and you haven't yet, quit whining.

Quote:

I hear God saying if you don't get married and have children like good Christians do, I will revoke your salvation and send you to hell.
No, you hear an imbecile, whether it is someone else telling you this or some nonsense inside your own head.

Quote:

I don't like being tormented by this. I could pray about this, except I feel it is God who is putting those burdens on my shoulders. What should I do

What should you do? Hmm lets see, perhaps dump out the garbage and make sure you stuff your religion in there too.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Yes, I honestly do believe God is pressuring me to marry and have children. I don't feel any peace when it comes to dating and marriage. I hear God saying if you don't get married and have children like good Christians do, I will revoke your salvation and send you to hell.

I don't like being tormented by this. I could pray about this, except I feel it is God who is putting those burdens on my shoulders. What should I do?
This is just my opinion but that doesn't sound like God. Well, let me tell you my short story. I don't think that I ever want to get married or have children, because I feel that I could serve the Lord better in being singleness. But, I got a lot of steam from church people who basically was trying to say something was wrong with me for not wanting to be single. They didn't come out and say it, but there actions said other wise. They would ask me, why don't you want to be married or have children. Then they would try to find a scripture to justify there action. But I was smart enough to study the bible for myself and looked at others who served the Lord in there singleness and the Lord was pleased.

Now by that being said. There was this voice telling me that if I didn't get married I was sinning, was bad, the Lord wouldn't be pleased, I would go to hell, and guess what, it wasn't the voice of the Lord. It was the voice of the devil and the voice of others that was causing me to cry because I thought that I had to be pressured into being married.

Now, by that being said, I just tell God, if you want me to be married, then I know that He will prepare me for marriage, but if not, I know that He want send me to hell. God does give some people the gift of celibacy and if there are those who don't have it, well the bible does say it is better to marry then to burn with passion.

But just like Paul,e he said that he would wish for people to be like him, to save yourself the heartache that it brings, but he also said that if a person couldn't restrain themselves then marry they should do.

Now, what I had to do was exam why I wanted to be single, and God did reveal to me that I wanted to be single because of me fearing that I would marry a horrible man and looking at other people whose marriage was bad. So, I was basically looking at marriage through a pitch stain glass with blinders on. So, now I just allow God to heal my heart of that.

Being single is not a bad thing. A person doesn't have to marry as long as they can restrain themselves in that area. Now, I am only giving my opinion.

But do this, research how God dealt with people about being married and being single. He never told anyone that He would send them to hell for not marrying or having children.

Jesus even said that there are some who make themselves eunuch for the Kingdom. Matthew 19:12

It doesn't sound like that is God, it sounds like something else. Just ask and seek the Lord what wait to hear what He wants out of your life (Why He created you).

But don't make the mistake that I did. I thought God was going to make me get married, pressure me to get married, so I ran away from Him. Then when I realized that He was not doing that, I found out that the devil was using that to push me away from God. God doesn't deal harshly with me about marriage, He just deals with me, like a Father could deal with his child. So, now I am not scared to go to God about marriage. He just shows me that marriage can be a good thing if you marry the person that you are suppose to be with. But if a person doesn't marry and they are serving Him, He will be pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity