Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered if the trinity doctrine came about by the ancients trying to compromise the ones who had
gods for everything into three or maybe more Gods all inside one god all equal authority, all gods..

Sort of like Constantine declaring the days of the winter soltice as the birthday of Christ in order to be politically correct with the pagans and the Christians..

Maybe I think too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I have always wondered if the trinity doctrine came about by the ancients trying to compromise the ones who had
gods for everything into three or maybe more Gods all inside one god all equal authority, all gods..

Sort of like Constantine declaring the days of the winter soltice as the birthday of Christ in order to be politically corect with the pagans and the Christians..

Maybe I think too much
You don't think too much. Some people just don't bother to think at all.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No DNA involved as they are Spirit. The reality of the Trinity cannot be fully understood by the finite mind of man. But each of the three individuals are Spirit, and each is holy. Regarding the third Person of the trinity, the term Holy Spirit is more of a descriptive title than His name. Each Person has His own identity, His own Personhood. But they are united by their essence. That is they each have the exact same Sovereignty, Righteousness, Justice, Love, Eternal Life, Omniscience, Omnipresence, Omnipotence, Immutability, and Veracity.

For instance, regarding the Omnipresence of each of the Persons of the Godhead;

The Father fills heaven and earth. Jer 23:23-24.

The Son promises to be with us (believers) always. Matthew 28:20.

And you cannot escape the presence of the Holy Spirit. Psa 139:7.

Regarding the veracity of God;

The veracity (truth) of the Father is afirmed by Jesus. John 7:28; John 17:3.

Of Himself, Jesus said 'I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man comes to the Father, buty by Me. John 14:6.

The Holy Spirit is truth. 1 John 5:7

It is their essence which unites them as One. And yet, they are three separate Persons. Three in Person, One in essence.
My triplets/DNA example wasn't meant to be literal - but figurative. I meant that triplets are made of the same stuff yet they are different. Maybe I should have used water and ice as an example - they are made of the same stuff but they have different forms.
My honest question is how can I be expected to unquestioningly believe something that I'm not meant to understand in the first place? According to some, I'm going to be tormented forever because this just doesn't make sense to me! And it's not supposed to make sense to me. But I'm supposed to believe it? I just don't get it.
I'm not meaning to be offensive but genuinely curious as to how I'm supposed to accept and revere something I don't understand and I'm not meant to understand.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My triplets/DNA example wasn't meant to be literal - but figurative. I meant that triplets are made of the same stuff yet they are different. Maybe I should have used water and ice as an example - they are made of the same stuff but they have different forms.
There's a big problem with the water, ice, steam analogy. Take some water and freeze it. What do you have? Ice. What happened to the water? It's gone. Put the ice in a pot, melt it and bring it to a boil. What happens to the water (provided you boil it for long enough)? It's gone. The same exact water cannot be solid, liquid and gas at the same time. So, if this analogy is used to explain God, He can only be the Father, the Son or the Holy Ghost at any given time. How could Jesus have just been baptized, the Holy Ghost present in the form of a dove and the Father speaking from Heaven if you can have only one form of God present at once?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:57 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Of course, Jesus has His own will. But in compliance with the Father's plan of salvation, He had to obey the Father's will, instead of His own. Only by remaining in perfect compliance to the Father's will could salvation be made possible. Had He disobeyed the Father even once, that would have been a sin and disqualifed Him from going to the cross to die for the sins of the world.

God cannot sin and he cannot die. Jesus is/was not God. He was one with his father. That's it and that's all. If you are doing the will of your spouse, you are one with your spouse, but that does not make you your spouse. This is all much simpler than Orthodox makes it. It's complete foolishness, what Christianity believes. Foolish, absurd and downright pagan.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:00 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
My honest question is how can I be expected to unquestioningly believe something that I'm not meant to understand in the first place? According to some, I'm going to be tormented forever because this just doesn't make sense to me! And it's not supposed to make sense to me. But I'm supposed to believe it? I just don't get it.
I'm not meaning to be offensive but genuinely curious as to how I'm supposed to accept and revere something I don't understand and I'm not meant to understand.
Concern yourself with what you CAN understand. The prophecies of the Bible for example are historically verifiable. These prophecies are not to be taken in the manner of the so called prophecies of someone like Nostradomous or Edgar Casey. Do some honest research on them and see for yourself. These prophecies are proof of God's existance. The fact that the Jews still exist are further proof of God's existence. In light of all the anti-semitism and hatred, and attempts to destroy them, they continue to exist even though for many hundreds of years they had no national identity. But now there has been a partial regathering of the Jews in a state of unbelief back into the land. When Jesus returns, He returns to an existing nation of Israel which is under attack by the armies of the antichrist.

The historical existence of Jesus Christ is not doubted by honest scholars. The fact that churches began to be established within weeks of His death, burial, resurrection and ascension, the fact that the apostles who had been cowardly before Christ was crucified and had turned into courageous disciples immediately after His resurrection, and who risked death to spread the word of God speaks volumes.

Man owes God perfect righteousness. He cannot meet that requirement. But Jesus could because of His virgin birth by which means He avoided being born with a sin nature, and by living a perfect sin free life. He was therefore qualified to go to the cross and die in our place. When/if a person believes in Jesus Christ for salvation, God then imputes His very own righteousness to the person who has believed and pronounces him justified. But if a person doesn't believe in Christ for salvation, he has only his own relative human righteousness to stand on before God, and God must, on the basis of His perfection, reject that persons relative righteousness (Revelation 20:11-15). There is no basis for an eternal relationship between God and fallen unregenerate mankind, and therefore the unbeliever must remain eternally separated from God. Much of the torment will undoubtedly be self induced by the unbeliever himself. The constant memories of all the opportunities he had to receive Christ as Savior but refused to. The fact that he will be in the lake of fire with every other unbeliever, all of whom have no hope of ever being released from that place will cause much torment. Is there a literal fire. There seems to be. Does that mean the unbeliever is directly in the fire. Who knows? But the torment will consist largely of the fact of the eternal ruin and useless condition of the unbeliever. The lake of fire is the second death, which means, not cessation of existence, but eternal ruin and uselessness of the unbeliever.

Most people in the history of the human race will not believe in Christ and therefore must remain eternally separated from God.

Do some research on the prophecies of the word of God if you have any interest at all in finding out whether these things are true. It's your choice. And your responsibility.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
God cannot sin and he cannot die. Jesus is/was not God. He was one with his father. That's it and that's all. If you are doing the will of your spouse, you are one with your spouse, but that does not make you your spouse. This is all much simpler than Orthodox makes it. It's complete foolishness, what Christianity believes. Foolish, absurd and downright pagan.
You have made it plain that you are set against the truth. And I leave you with your rejection of it. The Bible says clearly that Jesus is God. The Father called Him God. He declared Himself to be God. You refuse to open your eyes to that fact. Therefore, continue on in unbelief. I have set out the truth which is clearly revealed in the Scriptures. People can do with it what they will.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
This is all much simpler than Orthodox makes it.
Yes, it is much, much simpler. Of course there is much about God we can't understand, but I don't believe He ever wanted to be unknowable, and it's not His fault that people say He is. He wants us to know Him and we can. We can understand His relationship to His Son without turning it into a metaphysical nightmare.

Quote:
It's complete foolishness, what Christianity believes. Foolish, absurd and downright pagan.
What some of Christianity believes.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I thought you said He was just spirit?
I disagree, but whatever.
No, I did not. In His deity Jesus is Spirit. In His humanity He possesses a resurrected glorified body. Jesus Christ is in hypostatic union. Undiminished deity and true humanity in one person. The characteristics of His deity do not mix with the characteristics of His humanity. The two natures are separate yet in harmony with each other. As God, He is God. As man, He is man. He is the God-Man.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Dewdrop...never allow human opinion to taint your sweet and loving nature...use that gift as a compass in your journey through life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity